Should I include my culinary school transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m in a dilemma here. Prior attending my current institution, I was actually in culinary school! I know the change is weird, but long story short: I hated it & I was there for like 2 semesters, because I realised my love for medicine & never looked back since.

Now the thing is, I’ve a very bad gpa there (2.29, because I hated it). My gpa at my current institution is extremely high (3.85) compared to that. Now, if I don’t include it, my current transcript may show it since I was able to transfer only one course from there (an English composition class).

Should I even add my culinary school or should I just leave it out? Especially if AACPMAS calculates a cumulative gpa? I don’t want this mistake to hold me back from my dream.

I look forward to your advices.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I even add my culinary school or should I just leave it out? Especially if AACPMAS calculates a cumulative gpa? I don’t want this mistake to hold me back from my dream.

I look forward to your advices.

I can understand that you are in a tough situation. I too, went to culinary school and specialized in pastry. Candor goes a long way and if you can explain to the adcoms that the current you is not the old you, it may not be as big a problem as you think. If your culinary school has classes that are based on semester credit hours and grants a degree (i.e. Culinary Institute of America, Johnson and Wales, etc.) you may include it in your academic history under colleges attended. I would also call AACPMAS and get their advice too, since this is a highly unique situation. Good luck OP.

Last edited:
I can understand that you are in a tough situation. I too, went to culinary school and specialized in pastry. Candor goes a long way and if you can explain to the adcoms that the current you is not the old you, it may not be as big a problem as you think. If your culinary school has classes that are based on semester credit hours and grants a degree (i.e. Culinary Institute of America, Johnson and Wales, etc.) you may include it in your academic history under colleges attended. I would also call AACPMAS and get their advice too, since this is a highly unique situation. Good luck OP.

I actually went to culinary institute of America, but I’m not sure if it was a quarterly system or trimester system. If I include it in my academic history, it still asks for the transcript though? Also, does AACPMAS calculate an average gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually went to culinary institute of America, but I’m not sure if it was a quarterly system or trimester system. If I include it in my academic history, it still asks for the transcript though? Also, does AACPMAS calculate an average gpa?
I think you'll be ok.

What matters are your pre-reqs and MCAT.

Even if you did poorly in culinary school, it has little to do with anything related to podiatric medicine.
Especially with such a high GPA currently, it only further justifies the fact that you did not want to do culinary school, and you at least can do well enough to pass classes in podiatric medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be ok.

What matters are your pre-reqs and MCAT.

Even if you did poorly in culinary school, it has little to do with anything related to podiatric medicine.
Especially with such a high GPA currently, it only further justifies the fact that you did not want to do culinary school, and you at least can do well enough to pass classes in podiatric medical school.

Thank you so much! I think I'm gonna sort of tie this to my personal statement to further verify my love for medicine.

Also, off point, does AACPMAS accept PDF transcripts?

Also, off point, does AACPMAS accept PDF transcripts?

No, PDF transcripts are not allowed. Only official transcripts are accepted. You fax a transcript request form which can be found on the AACPMAS app to your school(s). They then print them out and officially seal the envelope with their own special university seal and mail it.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you really being serious. Do not even think about omitting any academic information from graduate applications. Do you want to be in your fourth year with 200K debt and then be kicked out of medical school?

You have to include every school attended and all academic records (transcripts). Even if you current institution accepted some transferred courses from culinary school, you have to provide original ranscripts from all colleges.

As far as PDF transcripts. None of the transcripts, electronic, fax, email, sealed, original or copies may come directly from the applicant. None. You cannot send any transcripts yourself.

When your colleges send transcripts, they have couple options. Traditional way is mail delivery. Another option is electronic delivery or through parchment services. Your college can do that if they participate in e-transcripts. Not all schools can do that. When in doubt contact your school or just request mail delivery

Most colleges are part of National Clearing House now, so it will tell you if your college participates in e-transcript delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I figured the transcripts had to come from the uni...