Should I include my upcoming summer internship as an activity on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kesher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on submitting my application on June 1 so that I can get verified ASAP. My internship starts on June 5. I really want to include it on my application, but I'm not sure how. Am I allowed to put it down as an activity and submit on June 1 even though I don't start until four days later? I know that some secondaries ask about summer/fall plans, but some of the ones that I've come across haven't. I really want to make sure that schools know about it!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on submitting my application on June 1 so that I can get verified ASAP. My internship starts on June 5. I really want to include it on my application, but I'm not sure how.

1) Am I allowed to put it down as an activity and submit on June 1 even though I don't start until four days later?

2) I know that some secondaries ask about summer/fall plans, but some of the ones that I've come across haven't. I really want to make sure that schools know about it!
1) Since you are not asked to enter a day of onset, just a month and a year, technically, you can enter the activity so long as you wait until it's June to fill in the space. If you try to put a June 2017 start date in now, the program will refuse to Save it.

2) That said, I am not a fan of including experiences with brief involvement, as they do not enhance your application. I do understand wanting schools to know your plans though.

Some strategies to consider so as not to appear to be adding fluff:

*1) Mention it at the end of the PS if you can make it seem like a next logical move in your journey to medicine or

*2) add it at the end of a related activity, explaining that one experience had the impact of inspiring xxx, and you've been accepted to start an Internship in Yyy on (date) to explore . . . .

*3) Use an Honors/Awards space to discuss your acceptance into the Internship and how selective the process was, with expected start date, location, duties, etc.

*4) Save it for update letters later in the cycle so you have something fresh to say (where allowed).

1) Since you are not asked to enter a day of onset, just a month and a year, technically, you can enter the activity so long as you wait until it's June to fill in the space. If you try to put a June 2017 start date in now, the program will refuse to Save it.

2) That said, I am not a fan of including experiences with brief involvement, as they do not enhance your application. I do understand wanting schools to know your plans though.

Some strategies to consider so as not to appear to be adding fluff:

*1) Mention it at the end of the PS if you can make it seem like a next logical move in your journey to medicine or

*2) add it at the end of a related activity, explaining that one experience had the impact of inspiring xxx, and you've been accepted to start an Internship in Yyy on (date) to explore . . . .

*3) Use an Honors/Awards space to discuss your acceptance into the Internship and how selective the process was, with expected start date, location, duties, etc.

*4) Save it for update letters later in the cycle so you have something fresh to say (where allowed).

Is it possible to combine options 1, 2, or 3 with 4 to schools that allow updates? Also of all these options which one do you think resonates most with application evaluators?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Is it possible to combine options 1, 2, or 3 with 4 to schools that allow updates?
2) Also of all these options which one do you think resonates most with application evaluators?
1) Yes.

2) Any of 1-3 can work, so long as the writing is smooth and logical, not forced and awkward. One's prose or bullet point must fit the place one chooses to sneak it in and not seem tacked on.

The fourth option isn't possible at every school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
2) Yes.

2) Any of 1-3 can work, so long as the writing is smooth and logical, not forced and awkward. One's prose or bullet point must fit the place one chooses to sneak it in and not seem tacked on.

The fourth option isn't possible at every school.

Thank you for the insight!