Should I include shadowing experience from a different medical profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyHobPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had planned to go for Dentistry for most of my college career before realizing it was not at all what I wanted to focus on in the ways of medicine. Should I include the hours spent shadowing in a dentist office in my resume or should I leave this information out completely when applying?

Also, I had completed an interview with a Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) as part of my application to dental school a little over a year ago. This committee compiled my LOR's and evaluated me as a candidate for professional school. I found that I am able to update this compilation with pertinent information and reasoning for my switch to podiatry and can submit it in place of LOR's. Since I already have acquired new LOR's, should I submit those instead? Or should I update my HPAC packet and submit it instead of individual letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are going to build a story on how your previous shadow experiences lead to to pursue DPM, then yes. If not, leave it out.

I would recommend updating your LOR. I assume your current LORs were written based on your passion to pursue a different profession.