should I keep volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excitedPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten accepted to a couple schools and I'm still volunteering at 2 hospitals. Although I enjoy volunteering, it costs me money getting to the hospitals where I volunteer and of course it's time consuming too. Should I keep volunteering or should I just stop and focus on other things like school and getting a job?

Members don't see this ad.

I say you should stop if your time and money is valued. Hospitals are for profit institutions, so they are making money while using you. Plus you will spend your academic and professional career working in the setting so you will be getting enough of it.

if you've already gotten acceptances I would say you can stop, especially because it's costing you money to get to the hospitals. If you were relatively close and enjoyed it, then I'd say keep on. But you got in to school, it's time to focus on that and saving up some money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternately, you could ask or seek out to find if they have any job openings as well. Any health care related jobs are beneficial to your resume later on for clinicals.

I second what nicolej5 and flypt have said. You have done your time and have been accepted. I would try and see if there are any Physical Therapy Aide positions available so you can still do what your doing but make money doing it. If not, save your time and money and get ready for school my friend! :-D

I continued to volunteer until the week I left. Why not? If the clinic where you serve is nearby, there's no reason to quit. It'll occupy your time and you might learn a thing or two. In my free time, I reviewed my anatomy and physiology, but not too much, because I didn't want to burn out before the term started.

Don't even try to look for other opportunities. I did that, and once I told them I had already been accepted to school, they showed no interest.

Kevin

I am definitely gonna brush up on my anatomy and physiology a bit myself. Gotta know those Os, Is, and As!! ;-) You make a good point in terms of overdoing it...first semester for me consists of a cadaver lab...thankfully my undergrad at MSU had a cadaver lab and helped me a TON. But still...Also, dont forget to get busy with applying for scholarships...I would assume your schools of choice would have some to apply for. My school i am going to has about 12 just for the PT students...and with 60 in my class, i would like to think that my chances are decent for at least one! Haha Ahem, but anyways....applying for scholarships will be a great way to occupy your time as well!

All these posts have been full of great information. Maybe consider cutting back to volunteering at one spot or once a week. It feels good to stay around this stuff even after be admitted and you might continue to learn a thing or two. Definitely don't over do it though and burn yourself out or drain your account to do so.

I continued to volunteer until the week I left. Why not? If the clinic where you serve is nearby, there's no reason to quit. It'll occupy your time and you might learn a thing or two. In my free time, I reviewed my anatomy and physiology, but not too much, because I didn't want to burn out before the term started.

Don't even try to look for other opportunities. I did that, and once I told them I had already been accepted to school, they showed no interest.

Kevin
I actually had a job interview and he asked me questions and i had to reveal my plans for the fall of this year which is PT school, i ended up not getting the job because he wanted someone who can work longer. From then, i got discouraged that someone would hire me unless i lie about PT school..

Thanks everyone. I will definitely review my anatomy and look for scholarships!! And focus more on my remaining undergrad classes!