Should I list a high school research experience when applying MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polaris7

Reaction score
I've gotten very mixed advice on this and wanted some more opinions.

Between my Junior and Senior years of high school I got a paid research internship at a pharmacology lab at the university I eventually attended. The internship lasted 8 weeks and I accumulated about 300 hours on the project. It was an impactful experience for me and was my first introduction into real research. It lead me getting interested in academic research and I won 4th place at the state level science fair for my work. I am applying this cycle and am trying to decide whether or not to include it on my activities.
Since I'm applying MD/PhD and it was an impactful research experience I am leaning towards including it, however, I know that the normal rule when applying is nothing before college. I do have other research experiences (2 yrs in a lab and 4 mo in a clinical trial both still ongoing) and would not need to remove another activity to make room for this.

Does it belong on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotten very mixed advice on this and wanted some more opinions.

Between my Junior and Senior years of high school I got a paid research internship at a pharmacology lab at the university I eventually attended. The internship lasted 8 weeks and I accumulated about 300 hours on the project. It was an impactful experience for me and was my first introduction into real research. It lead me getting interested in academic research and I won 4th place at the state level science fair for my work. I am applying this cycle and am trying to decide whether or not to include it on my activities.
Since I'm applying MD/PhD and it was an impactful research experience I am leaning towards including it, however, I know that the normal rule when applying is nothing before college. I do have other research experiences (2 yrs in a lab and 4 mo in a clinical trial both still ongoing) and would not need to remove another activity to make room for this.

Does it belong on my application?
The rule of thumb, is "nothing before HS graduation, unless it continues into the college years." Since you are applying MD/PhD, and since the HS experience helps show early interest and (hopefully) progression in interest, skills, and level of involvement, I feel it would be appropriate to include the HS research experience.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree. Also: If you received national recognition for your work (Regeneron Science Talent Search for example) or were part of an academic program promoting research for URM high school students, I would include it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Follow up question, is it appropriate to list if applying regular MD? Assuming that research was done in college as well

Follow up question, is it appropriate to list if applying regular MD? Assuming that research was done in college as well
Yep. Research experience is something that really never “expires” as long as it was legit mentored research and not like a high school club or something.

One caveat, I’m not sure I would list the hours for you activity. If you legitimately continued the research in college, then I would hope the hours you got in high school wouldn’t make a huge difference

Yep. Research experience is something that really never “expires” as long as it was legit mentored research and not like a high school club or something.

One caveat, I’m not sure I would list the hours for you activity. If you legitimately continued the research in college, then I would hope the hours you got in high school wouldn’t make a huge difference
Thank you! It was a research project in a lab for a couple of summers, plus presenting at regional competitions.

What do you mean by not listing hours? Wouldn't it be its own separate category? (since it was at a different lab)

Thank you! It was a research project in a lab for a couple of summers, plus presenting at regional competitions.

What do you mean by not listing hours? Wouldn't it be its own separate category? (since it was at a different lab)
That’s great.

If you think it merits it’s own entry then yes you would list some number of hours. I was thinking you might have an all-encompassing “lab research” entry where you would include all experiences, but if you have space to list separately then that’s fine. I just know many pre meds have a hard time narrowing things down to only 15 entries

That’s great.

If you think it merits it’s own entry then yes you would list some number of hours. I was thinking you might have an all-encompassing “lab research” entry where you would include all experiences, but if you have space to list separately then that’s fine. I just know many pre meds have a hard time narrowing things down to only 15 entries
Ah okay gotcha! Makes sense :) Thanks!