Should i pick dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gammarays

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to pick what education i want for my future and dentistry is really appealing to me... my grades are good enough but my one bad grade is in physics. I really dont like physics and doing all the different experiments in the lab. I dont mind theory and i wouldnt mind fixing peoples teeth... so here is my question, when i dont like physics is dentistry a dumb thing for me to pick? is there alot of physics and laboraty work in the education and when you finish and work in the real world?

Hope someone will help thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I need to pick what education i want for my future and dentistry is really appealing to me... my grades are good enough but my one bad grade is in physics. I really dont like physics and doing all the different experiments in the lab. I dont mind theory and i wouldnt mind fixing peoples teeth... so here is my question, when i dont like physics is dentistry a dumb thing for me to pick? is there alot of physics and laboraty work in the education and when you finish and work in the real world?

Shadow a dentist for a while and answer the question yourself :)

Shadow a dentist for a while and answer the question yourself :)

Im afraid i dont have that option allthough it sounds like a good idea.
i would really like to hear from someone taking the education or someone who is finished how it actually is.

Members don't see this ad :)
physics is probably the most useless prereq. It's not even on the DAT :laugh:

Go shadow a dentist and find out:)

Unfortunately dentistry wont be an option unless you have some shadowing hours anyway. No one can answer that question but you! Good luck

Sorry we dont have the shadow option where i come from. Im from denmark scandinavia... we are a small country so i havent been able to find a dentistry forum in denmark... but someone told me that this is a good page and that your education system is the same as our... or atleast the structure of the education. Thats why i ask here... but im afraid we dont have the "shadow" option allthough that sounds like a really smart thing. So if anyone know something from experience i would love to hear about it since i need to chose for the future hehe.

as far as I know. you only need to take physics I & II to complete the pre-req and after that good bye physics.

but im not sure, don't take my words as 100% true.

You do not need to love physics or be great at it to succeed in dentistry. As far as shadowing goes...why can't you just walk into a dental office and ask to shadow them?

Absolutely not. I didn't really care for physics either. Actually math is my least favorite subject in general. Dentistry is more about dexterity and problem solving skills but don't involve a calculator. You'll be pleased to hear there is no physics section on the DAT. If you were taking the MCAT however, then it would be a different story.

If dentistry interests you, I encourage you to explore the field more. :)

as far as I know. you only need to take physics I & II to complete the pre-req and after that good bye physics.

oh that sounds really awsome, because i really dont like to do physics or alot of labwork with physics

Absolutely not. I didn't really care for physics either. Actually math is my least favorite subject in general. Dentistry is more about dexterity and problem solving skills but don't involve a calculator. You'll be pleased to hear there is no physics section on the DAT. If you were taking the MCAT however, then it would be a different story.

If dentistry interests you, I encourage you to explore the field more. :)
that sounds nice... but sorry that i ask so many question but what do u mean about very good at solving problems? what subject is that in? just out of interest.

Shadowing is the best way to determine if you'll like ANY career. I would suggest shadowing like many of others on here, but some people only act if they get so many of the same responses.

Either way, it's up to you. But good luck in whatever direction you do decide on!

Members don't see this ad :)

This can't possibly be true for orthodontics

im afraid if ur not an expert in physics... then density is out of the question. Matter of fact, most true pre-dents are able to re-proof Einstein's theory of relativity using simple high level mathematics combined with basic principles of quantum mechanics.

Sorry we dont have the shadow option where i come from. Im from denmark scandinavia... we are a small country so i havent been able to find a dentistry forum in denmark... but someone told me that this is a good page and that your education system is the same as our... or atleast the structure of the education. Thats why i ask here... but im afraid we dont have the "shadow" option allthough that sounds like a really smart thing. So if anyone know something from experience i would love to hear about it since i need to chose for the future hehe.

I don't know whether you understand what shadowing is. Shadowing isn't a formal option that people have here. It's something informal that you have to set up for yourself and really the best way to determine whether you are interested in a career.

When you want to shadow, you usually get to know a dentist in some way (your dentist is a great person to go to for this or if you have any family/friends/people you know who are dentists) and then you just ask them whether you could visit them at work to see what it's like to be a dentist. When you come in, they might show you around and let you observe some procedures (with the patient's permission). That's what shadowing is.

I'm sure you can still shadow in Denmark. I have family and friends who are dentists in other countries whom I have shadowed and it has been no problem since shadowing isn't a formal thing and up to the dentist.

I would suggest you contact a dentist you know (or maybe even someone you don't) and tell them that you are interested in dentistry and that you would like to see what it's like to be a dentist and then ask whether they know of any ways that you could observe dentists or see what being a dentist is like. If you approach it that way, I'm sure they will tell you to just come in to their office and show you around and let you see some procedures. Voilà, you have an opportunity to shadow a dentist!

im afraid if ur not an expert in physics... then density is out of the question. Matter of fact, most true pre-dents are able to re-proof Einstein's theory of relativity using simple high level mathematics combined with basic principles of quantum mechanics.
Are you joking me now? or do you just mean the formulas because i can remember those. but quantum mechanics really?

For shadowing it doesn't have to be anything formal. Just ask your family dentist if you can watch for a bit. If thats not an option ask your relatives/friends to see if you can shadow their dentist. Another option would be to visit a dental school near you and ask if it's ok for you to observe in their clinics.

Also check out the international section of this forum.

If it means anything, American sarcasm is difficult for European people to detect. It's funny messing with my international buddies in my business classes :laugh:

If it means anything, American sarcasm is difficult for European people to detect. It's funny messing with my international buddies in my business classes :laugh:
Oh well i can see its sarcasm now, its just hard sometimes because i need to translate it first in my head so i dont think of sarcasm right away... hehe but you are prob. right.