Should I preemptively do a post-bacc while applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Requireduser88

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but should I do a post-bacc while applying in case I do not get in this year in order to boost my GPA if I need to re-apply? I am applying to both MD and DO schools with no preference to either.

cGPA: 3.42
MD sGPA: 3.42
DO sGPA: 3.36
MCAT: 510

ECs:

~50 hours shadowing two PCPs
~200 hours of clinical volunteering at a hospital
~80 hours of volunteering at a food bank
~20 hours of clinical research (time spent in patient meetings, included in the hours down below)
~300 hours of research, 1 pub under submission, another research where I will be 3rd author in a 3-man group (not sure when this will be published)
1 semester as an anatomy TA

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. All applicants should assume they’ll be a reapplicant. Spend your time during the cycle improving your app or working on your Plan B. If you end up getting an acceptance, then you can drop everything else if you want to.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Yes. All applicants should assume they’ll be a reapplicant. Spend your time during the cycle improving your app or working on your Plan B. If you end up getting an acceptance, then you can drop everything else if you want to.

Okay, I did some math and a 20 credit DIY post-bacc would increase my cGPA from 3.42 to a 3.50, assuming all As. I would be taking 2 courses over this summer, and 4 courses in the fall. I'm not sure how transcripts would work if I take courses in the spring and need to submit the transcript for verification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I did some math and a 20 credit DIY post-bacc would increase my cGPA from 3.42 to a 3.50, assuming all As. I would be taking 2 courses over this summer, and 4 courses in the fall. I'm not sure how transcripts would work if I take courses in the spring and need to submit the transcript for verification?
I think you only submit transcripts for classes you’ve finished. They’ll ask for completed transcripts later on if you get accepted.

I think you only submit transcripts for classes you’ve finished. They’ll ask for completed transcripts later on if you get accepted.

Ok, the school I'm looking at has a 15 credit limit for non-degree applicants. How is it viewed if I take one semester at this college and more credit hours at a different college? Should I just look for a college with no credit limit and complete all my courses there?

Ok, the school I'm looking at has a 15 credit limit for non-degree applicants. How is it viewed if I take one semester at this college and more credit hours at a different college? Should I just look for a college with no credit limit and complete all my courses there?
Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that One

@Goro any advice?

It's fine. There's no law that says you have to get all of your schooling in one place

Would be easier to take it at one place. But I took my post-bacc at 3 different places. Was annoying to get transcripts but otherwise fine

Would be easier to take it at one place. But I took my post-bacc at 3 different places. Was annoying to get transcripts but otherwise fine

Okay, any thoughts on online courses? I read somewhere they were looked down upon, by with covid all courses are now online in my state.