Should I pursue an extra major or a double minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wykwang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a rising junior this fall, and I'm on track to finish my Biology B.S. early, and as such, have time to pursue another major (or double minor). I know already that doing this will really give me minimal benefit in terms of being admitted to medical school. It's more just something I want to do because I'm interested in other subjects besides Biology.

My dilemma is basically that I greatly enjoy both Sociology and Psychology. I could minor in both, but for some reason that just feels really unproductive since minors don't really seem like they're worth much to me.

I could simply major in either one or the other, but then again since so many people say there's essentially no benefit in terms of medical school, I should just double minor because ultimately that let's me pursue my interest in both subjects?

I guess it comes down to the fact that I perceive a major in one subject as a better use of my time than a minor in both. However, if medical schools TRULY don't care at all, I'd pursue a double minor.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Take a bunch of fun classes that you are interested in. No reason to make a specific minor out of them.

Reactions: 1 user
You've said it yourself. If med schools truly dont care at all (I'm not an adcom member but from everything I've read it sounds like they don't), then pursue a double major or whatever satisfies your intellectual thirst. In the end, number of majors, number of minors, even what your major is, wont really matter much at all.

Not sure if your'e worried about the psych/soc section of the mcat at all. Psych is more heavily represented than soc, but you certainly dont need a major or minor in either field to do well on this section of the mcat.

If I could do it over again I would take more maths and philosophy courses in undegrad. Just do whatever will get you to not have to say "if I could do it all over again".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm a rising junior this fall, and I'm on track to finish my Biology B.S. early, and as such, have time to pursue another major (or double minor). I know already that doing this will really give me minimal benefit in terms of being admitted to medical school. It's more just something I want to do because I'm interested in other subjects besides Biology.

My dilemma is basically that I greatly enjoy both Sociology and Psychology. I could minor in both, but for some reason that just feels really unproductive since minors don't really seem like they're worth much to me.

I could simply major in either one or the other, but then again since so many people say there's essentially no benefit in terms of medical school, I should just double minor because ultimately that let's me pursue my interest in both subjects?

I guess it comes down to the fact that I perceive a major in one subject as a better use of my time than a minor in both. However, if medical schools TRULY don't care at all, I'd pursue a double minor.

What should I do?

As mentioned above, just take courses for interest that you know you’ll get A’s in. No need to complete minors in anything else. Trying to do minors can mean being required to take 2-3 upper division courses per minor and those could lead to lower grades.

Besides, during your senior year you need a LIGHT EASY schedule so that you have time to go to interviews.

Hi all,

What should I do?
You should do what interests you, because adcoms really do not care about your major, your double major or your minors.
We only care that you do well.

Reactions: 3 users
You should do what interests you, because adcoms really do not care about your major, your double major or your minors.
We only care that you do well.
@Goro - I keep reading that adcoms do not care about the minors, but how about minors that have relevant experiences? my son is doing computational research and using the research credits for CS minor. He is also doing some courses in Latin American studies, did a 6 week project in one of the Latin American countries and now considering Latin American Studies minor. His focus is to get into CA schools (in-state) and also continue his computational research. Do you still think minors won't help?

Only in America!
More like Only in California! it's a lucrative business now. Recently came across someone who is making good money in cannabis baked goods.