1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I reject the acceptance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by funkydrmonkey, Dec 7, 2008.

1. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am EXTREMELY fortunate to have an acceptance at a school I really like and I can see myself attending. Recently, I was accepted to a school which I also liked, but unless they gave me a really good financial aid package, on the lines of 20K+ scholarship, I would be unlikely to attend. The question is should I withdraw from the school and give some people I know who are more deserving a chance for this spot, or should I just accept, and hope that I get a really nice fin aid package?

Note: I am not flaunting my acceptances. Rather I am thankful for what I have received and would like to give back to those who would much "more deserving"...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spidermann

7+ Year Member

i would just keep my acceptances until i receive all the fin aid packages. as long as you withdraw before may 15, people who really want to go there but got placed on waitlist will have the chance. i dont think youre being selfish at all by keeping your options open.

4. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would accept and wait. You're not hurting anyone else's chances by waiting, merely delaying them. You earned the spot, might as well wait until you have all the information to make your decision.

And congrats on acceptances.

5. saqrfaraj

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you'd like to attend the school, and it's just the financial question holding you back, accept the offer and wait to see what they offer you. You've worked hard to get your acceptances, so don't let the frustration of those not in your position hinder your chances of attending the best school for you. Sitting on a pair of acceptances until you have all the information you need to make an informed decision isn't greedy, it's smart.

6. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't you dare! You should only release acceptances if nothing could make you go there...if financial aid would affect your decision, then wait it out.

7. BlackDr2b

BlackDr2b JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hold out FunkDoc. You earned that acceptance and you owe it to yourself to stick it out and see what they are going to give you. Those that are waiting will get their shot to, don't worry about that. God always has a plan, so sit back and watch Him do His thang!

8. funkydrmonkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are other factors as well that are hindrances... The weather is freezing cold... ( I am not used to the snow anymore), The city is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and it is a rather small city which is not too much too my liking, and I do not have any relatives close by...

But then again, I really did like the school. Is just the cost is so drastically different, and I have 1 other school which I am sitting on is a more likely candidate of schools that I might be attending...

9. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Despite what people think, I doubt you rejecting acceptances will improve people's chances. Your application doesn't get removed so that another one can be put in, it just doesn't work that way. Withdrawing now or in a few months will still get someone off waitlist, but its not going to get someone an interview.

10. Handy388

Removed

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    100 dollar to hold the spot? You mean the best 100 dollar I will ever spend in my life? Count me in!

11. migm

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is what loans are for. Why wouldn't you be able to attend?

12. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Are you certain or reasonably sure that you can get this scholarship every year? If so, I think you'd be nuts to give up $80k and ~8 years of interest on it to go to your "top choice." In any event, hold onto all of your acceptances until you have your financial aid information from every school. You can also use finances as leverage for schools to sweeten the pot a little. Saying "I'd go to your school, but school x is offering me a $20k scholarship. I can't afford to pass that up" is a pretty powerful bargaining chip.

13. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if you want to go, hold on to it. the only way you would be selfish is if you held onto an acceptance where you had no intention of going. you earned it, you are considering it, just wait it out. hopefully you get a nice financial package :)

14. funkydrmonkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually it is the actual cost: 12K versus 33K,...:eek: And the cheaper school is my top choice as compared to the more expensive school...

15. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Oh, I got that all screwed up. I'd still hold onto all acceptances and throw my allegiances to the lowest bidder.

16. 19nbj58

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I agree. :thumbup: