funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am EXTREMELY fortunate to have an acceptance at a school I really like and I can see myself attending. Recently, I was accepted to a school which I also liked, but unless they gave me a really good financial aid package, on the lines of 20K+ scholarship, I would be unlikely to attend. The question is should I withdraw from the school and give some people I know who are more deserving a chance for this spot, or should I just accept, and hope that I get a really nice fin aid package?

Note: I am not flaunting my acceptances. Rather I am thankful for what I have received and would like to give back to those who would much "more deserving"...

spidermann

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Status
i would just keep my acceptances until i receive all the fin aid packages. as long as you withdraw before may 15, people who really want to go there but got placed on waitlist will have the chance. i dont think youre being selfish at all by keeping your options open.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status
Attending Physician
I would accept and wait. You're not hurting anyone else's chances by waiting, merely delaying them. You earned the spot, might as well wait until you have all the information to make your decision.

And congrats on acceptances.

About the Ads

FlowLimited

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
If you'd like to attend the school, and it's just the financial question holding you back, accept the offer and wait to see what they offer you. You've worked hard to get your acceptances, so don't let the frustration of those not in your position hinder your chances of attending the best school for you. Sitting on a pair of acceptances until you have all the information you need to make an informed decision isn't greedy, it's smart.

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I am EXTREMELY fortunate to have an acceptance at a school I really like and I can see myself attending. Recently, I was accepted to a school which I also liked, but unless they gave me a really good financial aid package, on the lines of 20K+ scholarship, I would be unlikely to attend. The question is should I withdraw from the school and give some people I know who are more deserving a chance for this spot, or should I just accept, and hope that I get a really nice fin aid package?

Note: I am not flaunting my acceptances. Rather I am thankful for what I have received and would like to give back to those who would much "more deserving"...
Don't you dare! You should only release acceptances if nothing could make you go there...if financial aid would affect your decision, then wait it out.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student

Hold out FunkDoc. You earned that acceptance and you owe it to yourself to stick it out and see what they are going to give you. Those that are waiting will get their shot to, don't worry about that. God always has a plan, so sit back and watch Him do His thang!

funkydrmonkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are other factors as well that are hindrances... The weather is freezing cold... ( I am not used to the snow anymore), The city is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and it is a rather small city which is not too much too my liking, and I do not have any relatives close by...

But then again, I really did like the school. Is just the cost is so drastically different, and I have 1 other school which I am sitting on is a more likely candidate of schools that I might be attending...

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Despite what people think, I doubt you rejecting acceptances will improve people's chances. Your application doesn't get removed so that another one can be put in, it just doesn't work that way. Withdrawing now or in a few months will still get someone off waitlist, but its not going to get someone an interview.

Handy388

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
100 dollar to hold the spot? You mean the best 100 dollar I will ever spend in my life? Count me in!

migm

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
Status
Attending Physician

This is what loans are for. Why wouldn't you be able to attend?

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you certain or reasonably sure that you can get this scholarship every year? If so, I think you'd be nuts to give up $80k and ~8 years of interest on it to go to your "top choice." In any event, hold onto all of your acceptances until you have your financial aid information from every school. You can also use finances as leverage for schools to sweeten the pot a little. Saying "I'd go to your school, but school x is offering me a $20k scholarship. I can't afford to pass that up" is a pretty powerful bargaining chip.

bluesmd

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
is in countdown mode
Status
Pre-Medical
if you want to go, hold on to it. the only way you would be selfish is if you held onto an acceptance where you had no intention of going. you earned it, you are considering it, just wait it out. hopefully you get a nice financial package :)

funkydrmonkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you certain or reasonably sure that you can get this scholarship every year? If so, I think you'd be nuts to give up $80k and ~8 years of interest on it to go to your "top choice." In any event, hold onto all of your acceptances until you have your financial aid information from every school. You can also use finances as leverage for schools to sweeten the pot a little. Saying "I'd go to your school, but school x is offering me a $20k scholarship. I can't afford to pass that up" is a pretty powerful bargaining chip.
Actually it is the actual cost: 12K versus 33K,...:eek: And the cheaper school is my top choice as compared to the more expensive school...

19nbj58

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Despite what people think, I doubt you rejecting acceptances will improve people's chances. Your application doesn't get removed so that another one can be put in, it just doesn't work that way. Withdrawing now or in a few months will still get someone off waitlist, but its not going to get someone an interview.
I agree. :thumbup:

About the Ads