Should I reschedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bre97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum but I've really appreciated all the advice and practice test solutions on here in the past. I'm schedule to take my MCAT on the May 5 test date but I'm wondering if I should reschedule to a later date.

I've been almost consistently scoring a 507 (infrequently a 506) but I'm not sure if additional studying could help my score or if I've sort of reached a plateau. Additionally, some people on here say that's not a good score while others insist it's solid and I'm not sure what to make of it.

I very much hope to go to medical school somewhere in NY or California. I just checked Keck and NYU's average MCAT score and mine is way below average. I don't know what to do because getting a 520ish seems inconceivable to me. I really appreciate anyone's advice. FWIW, I'm white, from MN,and have a total GPA of 3.76 and don't plan on taking a gap year. This is my first time taking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

How many full lengths have you taken in total? How long have you been studying for? If you really don't feel comfortable, postponing until early / mid June shouldn't affect your application.

How many full lengths have you taken in total? How long have you been studying for? If you really don't feel comfortable, postponing until early / mid June shouldn't affect your application.

I've taken 3 of the Next Step tests as well for a total of 5 practice exams and have been reviewing the material since September, at the start of this year. I guess I'm not sure if I should feel comfortable and just take a 507 or if I can improve my score at this point by working on some more material after school lets out. I really would like to get into Keck or Geffen but don't know if using extra study time to go from a 507 to a 515 or 520 is a realistic expectation.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have been reviewing since September it is doubtful that your score will improve much without a change in strategy. You should probably find a good verified MCAT tutor and hone your test taking strategy, as you will likely already being losing material you have reviewed at this point (beyond 4 months is diminishing returns).

Also NS is very deflated. My score went up 10 points going from NS to AAMC. Have you taken any AAMC FL yet? If not, you’re running out of time...

I think NS changed scaling and is no longer deflated and more on par.

Reactions: 1 user
Would you mind sharing your score progress. I have seen my NS scores rising but havent been able to reach 510. Im floating around 505-506 NS.

Would you mind sharing your score progress. I have seen my NS scores rising but havent been able to reach 510. Im floating around 505-506 NS.
I would almost guarantee you’re score at least 510 on real deal. Don’t wanna jinx myself so I’m not giving away my FL scores until after I get my real score :)