Should I retake Gen Chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started undergrad with AP credit for Chem I and II, but took Chem II again.

Made a C in lecture, an A in lab. But almost entirely because I never went to class and thought I was too smart for it. Stupid freshman mistake.

Now, I currently have Ochem I under my belt with an A, only other two Chem courses I will take are Ochem II and Biochem.

Should I retake that Gen chem II to improve the grade and show that I am actually capable in that course? Is it worth taking Gen Chem I at all? would just taking the MCAT and doing well on the physical science section be better?

The C being replaced with an A would especially help my DO application later down the line...

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm....it is highly recommended to not touch AP credit for pre-med requirements. The rigor is sort of questioned when you're taking a pre-med pre-req around a bunch of horny teenagers and miserable teachers who feel underpaid and angry at waking up early in the morning. Like, I want to apply to a school that actually has stringent English demands (it's a top school, not liberal arts, but they're very technical about pre-reqs), and I touched AP credit for English....so I'm trying to jump in some technical writing courses to compensate for it.

Maybe take it over the summer? I don't know, it's a tough spot. You could always take something that is sort of dependent upon gen chem like an analytical chem and do well in it to re-prove yourself. I don't know how your school works, but at my school, they don't replace grades, they just average it out in the GPA.

When do you submit your apps? I would ignore it, and just focus on proving yourself in the MCAT. Like try to do so well such that you communicate to the adcoms that you get gen chem content. Don't let a simple grade define you. You seem like a very capable individual.

Best of luck.

IMO you'll be fine if you do well in organic 2 and biochem. They are more difficult than gen chem II and A's in those courses should make your gen chem grade irrelevant. I think you should feel optimistic about an upward trend in your chem grades, especially as the courses get more challenging

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm....it is highly recommended to not touch AP credit for pre-med requirements. The rigor is sort of questioned when you're taking a pre-med pre-req around a bunch of horny teenagers and miserable teachers who feel underpaid and angry at waking up early in the morning. Like, I want to apply to a school that actually has stringent English demands (it's a top school, not liberal arts, but they're very technical about pre-reqs), and I touched AP credit for English....so I'm trying to jump in some technical writing courses to compensate for it.

Maybe take it over the summer? I don't know, it's a tough spot. You could always take something that is sort of dependent upon gen chem like an analytical chem and do well in it to re-prove yourself. I don't know how your school works, but at my school, they don't replace grades, they just average it out in the GPA.

When do you submit your apps? I would ignore it, and just focus on proving yourself in the MCAT. Like try to do so well such that you communicate to the adcoms that you get gen chem content. Don't let a simple grade define you. You seem like a very capable individual.

Best of luck.

"Touch AP Credit"? What does that even mean? If you mean USE AP credit, then I don't think you know what you're talking about.

also confused by the AP credit comment. i was advised by medical schools that regardless of 5s on APs, they wanted to see the college course b/c it is more rigorous.....also, easy and great for cushioning your gpa

From what I understand, you're advised not to retake classes where you have AP credit if you can use them as prereqs for higher level college courses in the same field. So for example, if you have AP Bio credit and your college requires bio I & II for molec cell or physiology/anatomy, use your AP credit as the prereq and take the "more rigorous" upper levels. Since OP isn't planning on taking more chemistry courses (technically ochem *is* upper level chem, but it's another med school prereq so it doesn't quite work the same way), I would say take genchem I and retake genchem II. Then again, if you're shooting for DO, perhaps they have different recommendations

From what I understand, you're advised not to retake classes where you have AP credit if you can use them as prereqs for higher level college courses in the same field. So for example, if you have AP Bio credit and your college requires bio I & II for molec cell or physiology/anatomy, use your AP credit as the prereq and take the "more rigorous" upper levels. Since OP isn't planning on taking more chemistry courses (technically ochem *is* upper level chem, but it's another med school prereq so it doesn't quite work the same way), I would say take genchem I and retake genchem II. Then again, if you're shooting for DO, perhaps they have different recommendations
idk where you read that. when i was in college, i called several medical schools (including Harvard and some schools in CA) and they said regardless of AP score, they wanted to see that college course. and i really do think it's smart to retake it.....take the class over....AP chem is similar to gen chem in college (at leas tmine was). easy A. pad the GPA. dont risk getting a B or C in an upper level course. med schools dont care about taking honors courses that much or crazy upper level shiz. IMO

idk where you read that. when i was in college, i called several medical schools (including Harvard and some schools in CA) and they said regardless of AP score, they wanted to see that college course. and i really do think it's smart to retake it.....take the class over....AP chem is similar to gen chem in college (at leas tmine was). easy A. pad the GPA. dont risk getting a B or C in an upper level course. med schools dont care about taking honors courses that much or crazy upper level shiz. IMO

Since you mention Harvard, you can find this info on their application requirements page. Under many basic prereqs, for both current requirements and the new (2016) requirements, they claim "Advanced placement credits that enable a student to take an upper-level course may be used to meet one semester equivalent of this requirement" etc

Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning towards retaking Gen Chem II...not too sure about Chem I though...probably not. Will mull it over before the fall semester!