Should I retake Gen chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Community College transfer student attending a UC School. My overall GPA from CC is a 3.3 (92 semester units). I'm a physiology major and have a 3.85 overall gpa at a UC. I'm am doing research and clinical work.

I didn't get as high of a gpa in community college because I was working 30-35 hrs/week and because I earned B's in lots of "easy GE's". I got a C in gen chem2 and was wondering if I should retake this at UC (Iwould have to retake quarters 2 & 3 of gchem)? Or would it be better if I prove myself by hopefully rocking the mcat and take more upper div bio classes (such as microbio)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how true this is, but I've always heard that it's better to take upper-div classes instead of just retaking low grade classes since people want to see that you're always trying to challenge yourself. Also, an A after retaking a class is worth a lot less than an A in an upper-div class (both because you already learned the material before AND because the new class is an upper-div class/supposedly harder)

Members don't see this ad :)