Should I retake mcat 506?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayray93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Wondering about retaking the mcat.
Overall 506
Chem/phys 124 :(
Verbal 126
Biol 130
Psych 126

Gpa 3.45 biology with upward trend

I'm pretty bummed because I was getting 126 in my chem/phys and also usually scored 128 on my verbal in practice exams. I was definitely affected by the noise of everyone coming in and sitting down to take the test while I was taking my chem section ( I got there early and started early). I just wasn't expecting all the distractions.
Basically, should I retake the mcat because of my low chem/phys score? I really didn't want to retake it, but I'm thinking maybe I should. Second question is should I take it sooner rather than later while I still have my test prep materials available to me (Kaplan) and it's relatively fresh in my mind (2 months from now)? I barely used all the full lengths and didn't even do any of the aamc questions banks available to me... Just ran out of time.

Planning on applying to lower tier allopathic schools.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really tell you about your chances for allopathic schools since you didn't provide further information about your app (ECs, URM?). With your current stats, your chances are slim for low-tier MDs, and your best shot is your state school. However, you are pretty solid for DOs, as I see you getting multiple acceptances there. Your GPA is below MD average, and your MCAT is below as well (about 29). I would suggest a retake if your goal is allopathic.

Reactions: 1 users
So a couple of things. Unless you lived on the street during college you will absolutely need to retake the MCAT even for many DO schools as they are becoming increasingly competitive. This said you should have already decided what type of medical education you want. DO NOT rush a retake. Your MCAT and undergrad have already demonstrated that you have a tendency to take on more than you can handle. This tells medical school that you will not survive 20 credit quarters and studying for exams that make the MCAT look childish. So if you retake the exam and don't add 10 or so points to your MCAT you will make it very unlikely that you'll get in. If you are serious about medical school and becoming a leader in providing healthcare Healthcare for your community I suggest you go back to school for 2 quarters and take 18+ credits a quarter of high difficulty science coursework. Plan on getting a 3.6 or better on all of them. Then when your done or now if you have already done this to make up for your GPA take 2 or 3 months and crush through the MCAT material 6-9 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I had the same GPA and a 509 MCAT and got invited to interview at 1 DO school and no MD schools. Unless you really standout in some other way you are likely not competitive at any allopathic school including your state schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same GPA and a 509 MCAT and got invited to interview at 1 DO school and no MD schools. Unless you really standout in some other way you are likely not competitive at any allopathic school including your state schools.
Wow really? What DO schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hear you about not rushing to retake the mcat. That said I'm planning on taking the mcat in May because my Kaplan and aamc prep materials expire in May and I don't have the money to sign up for more prep material this summer... Think it's a bad idea? Should I wait til the summer and work with other materials? This coarse load should be my lightest yet. I was hoping to apply this summer and take a gap year (graduating this June). I'm taking all upper level bio and Biochem classes and getting As and A-s, but I'm not planning on going back to school to take science classes unless it is toward a graduate degree or in medical school. I wish I stood out more with my ECs :/

Played D1 tennis for 2 years.
Have 1 1/2 years of research in analytical chemistry lab and have presented at conferences.
Worked as a tennis coach for 9 years.
Volunteer at a hospital.
Volunteer at an animal shelter.
Working on shadowing now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hear you about not rushing to retake the mcat. That said I'm planning on taking the mcat in May because my Kaplan and aamc prep materials expire in May and I don't have the money to sign up for more prep material this summer... Think it's a bad idea? Should I wait til the summer and work with other materials? This coarse load should be my lightest yet. I was hoping to apply this summer and take a gap year (graduating this June). I'm taking all upper level bio and Biochem classes and getting As and A-s, but I'm not planning on going back to school to take science classes unless it is toward a graduate degree or in medical school. I wish I stood out more with my ECs :/

Played D1 tennis for 2 years.
Have 1 1/2 years of research in analytical chemistry lab and have presented at conferences.
Worked as a tennis coach for 9 years.
Volunteer at a hospital.
Volunteer at an animal shelter.
Working on shadowing now.

I guess I'll take another stab at this.
You don't need "paidfor" materials, that said rebuying the AAMC stuff is worth not eating for a few days imo. You have the Khan Academy as well as the library and a crap ton of free stuff on the internet. The numbers don't lie 3.7 +or-.2 GPA and >508 MCAT are what Med Schools are looking for and if you don't have that then you better have a compelling reason why. I honestly don't know about your chances outside of academics, your ECs look great imo. I really think they're your strongest app point but it depends on where you're applying.

I guess I'll take another stab at this.
You don't need "paidfor" materials, that said rebuying the AAMC stuff is worth not eating for a few days imo. You have the Khan Academy as well as the library and a crap ton of free stuff on the internet. The numbers don't lie 3.7 +or-.2 GPA and >508 MCAT are what Med Schools are looking for and if you don't have that then you better have a compelling reason why. I honestly don't know about your chances outside of academics, your ECs look great imo. I really think they're your strongest app point but it depends on where you're applying.

Thank you for the advice you've been very helpful! I'll definitely go over financial stuff and look into Khan academy as well. I'll be applying primarily to Texas schools (Texas resident) as well as New Mexico and Arizona. Thanks again!

Thank you for the advice you've been very helpful! I'll definitely go over financial stuff and look into Khan academy as well. I'll be applying primarily to Texas schools (Texas resident) as well as New Mexico and Arizona. Thanks again!

You should have told us you're a TX resident. Your chances go up significantly here. I'd still say your GPA needs more improvement though. I know people with a 28 MCAT and have gotten into schools in TX. A 506 is like a 29 I believe. But they have 3.7+ GPAs, so work on that part now.

You should have told us you're a TX resident. Your chances go up significantly here. I'd still say your GPA needs more improvement though. I know people with a 28 MCAT and have gotten into schools in TX. A 506 is like a 29 I believe. But they have 3.7+ GPAs, so work on that part now.
I'm graduating this year so I can't bring it up much more :/ do you think scoring higher on the mcat could help out my low gpa? Or should I focus more on something else?

I'm graduating this year so I can't bring it up much more :/ do you think scoring higher on the mcat could help out my low gpa? Or should I focus more on something else?

I realize this was not directed at me but just as an fyi, an MCAT score cannot make up for a low GPA and neither can the reverse. They are indicators of different things which both predict medical school success. That said you definitely want at least one of them to be strong so that you aren't screened out before they decide who to interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow really? What DO schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?

Interviewed at NYIT-COM, applied to UNECOM, PCOM, Rowan, CCOM.

Also, to other people looking at this with similar stats. Apply broadly to DO schools and perhaps save your money on MD schools (A doc on the admissions committee at the state school I work at, arguably the least competitive state MD school in my state, said my MCAT was competitive but a sGPA below 3.7 wouldn't get me an interview unless my MCAT is dramatically higher or there was some extreme circumstance, I didn't tell him my GPA). I got waitlisted at NYCOM and now I'm in the situation of considering alternate plans and most likely facing two years before/if I apply again which possibly could have been avoided. You see it here all the time, apply broadly and underestimate your competitiveness.

Also, Rayray's EC's are eerily similar to mine; but I never volunteered at an animal shelter.

Interviewed at NYIT-COM, applied to UNECOM, PCOM, Rowan, CCOM.

Also, to other people looking at this with similar stats. Apply broadly to DO schools and perhaps save your money on MD schools (A doc on the admissions committee at the state school I work at, arguably the least competitive state MD school in my state, said my MCAT was competitive but a sGPA below 3.7 wouldn't get me an interview unless my MCAT is dramatically higher or there was some extreme circumstance, I didn't tell him my GPA). I got waitlisted at NYCOM and now I'm in the situation of considering alternate plans and most likely facing two years before/if I apply again which possibly could have been avoided. You see it here all the time, apply broadly and underestimate your competitiveness.

Also, Rayray's EC's are eerily similar to mine; but I never volunteered at an animal shelter.
That's funny our ECs are so similar. Kind of a bummer about the gpas, but thanks for sharing!