Should I retake my General Chemistry 1?? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Sorry for bothering you guys, but I really need advice on this one. Anyway, I've taken Chem 1 at a community college and asked the admission guy at a medical school and he said I do not need to retake it but need to continue on at a university from now on for my pre-reqs. My question is, I took my chem 1 class two years ago and to tell you the truth I don't remember much from it... So, do you think it is wise for me to retake chem 1 before attempting chem 2? I am planning to take chem 2 in summer 2... Also, is chem 2 in the summer hard? I don't have a problem with biology classes in the summer, but kind of weak at chemistry. Anyway, thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake it, just buy the book for the class and read up. It'll all come back.

Summer classes are generally not too hard. You should be fine, don't retake.

Unless you got through the first one by copying off other people or something and don't know anything about Chemistry. I'm not accusing you of that, but that's the only situation I can think of where I would recommend retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posters. You don't need to retake it... just brush up on GChem by looking through your old book. I took Chem 2 a year after Chem 1, and I don't remember having any problems.

And yes, summer classes are *usually* super easy... or at least a lot easier than the regular class.

My advice it a little different. I think it depends on how comfortable you are with chemistry in general. If you grasp it easily, then by all means, forgo the retake. However, if you are more like me, and have to spend a good deal of time studying the material then a retake might be in order. Gen chem I is kind of the foundation for everything else you will do, make sure it's a solid one.

If your unsure retake, but there usually is a review the first week, and lots of tutoring services available so if you don't want to deal with the hassle .. Don't!

Also if your unsure about your performance, and don't have the cash to retake a class you've already completed, I would wait and take it in the fall with and evening lecture if your college offer's this. Their smaller, more personal-take a discussion as well if it's offered, and the fall session is a lot longer than summer. However if your set on repeating the class, summer would be best precisely because it is so short.

Best wishes! :D

i took the 3rd quarter (of 3 quarters) of gen chem after a two year break of no chemistry... i ended up doing fine, and let me tell you, i'm no chemistry whiz.

it might be a waste of time to retake chem 1. but you have plenty of time to decide, right? it's only february. i say try to study up on chem 1 as much as you can and take chem 2 over the summer. if you passed the first semester, you must have learned something.

if the time comes to sign up for summer classes, and you haven't done any chem 1 studying and don't forsee doing so in the near future, THEN you should consider retaking chem 1. like other posters said, that particular course has some important concepts.