This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilly.02

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I took the DAT and didn't get what I was expecting.
AA: 18
TS:18
PAT:21
RC: 16
QR:19
Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 15
Orgo: 21
I'm debating retaking the DAT because of the 15 in gen chem and 16 in RC. I was just wondering what your thoughts were and if you had any advice. I submitted June 21st and applied to 19 schools.
I have been a dental assistant for over a year and have trained to work all around the office. I also took part in dental clubs at my school and eventually became a part of the board. Have around 700 volunteer hours, 200 shadowing hours, 1400 work hours. Been awarded Dean's list along with a scholarship from my university. I have a 3.67 gpa and 3.66 science gpa. Please let me know your thoughts and any advice! Is it possible to get accepted with these stats. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I because of the 15 and 16 some schools may auto reject you since they have DAT minimums. Do you know if any of the schools you applied have them?

Outside of the DAT score your stats seem decent. Have you thought about retaking it? It may strengthen your app making you a more desirable candidate.

I think a re-take is in your best interest especially with the RC and GC score. How did you study for the exam/what resources did you use? I had a very similar score breakdown as yours, but used DAT Booster and DAT Destroyer+ Math Destroyer which really helped improve my AA and TS from an 18AA-->20 AA and 20 TS. DAT Booster has great video lectures and video explanations which really help solidify the material

Members don't see this ad :)
I because of the 15 and 16 some schools may auto reject you since they have DAT minimums. Do you know if any of the schools you applied have them?

Outside of the DAT score your stats seem decent. Have you thought about retaking it? It may strengthen your app making you a more desirable candidate.
I wasn't able to find a lot on the cut off. A lot just said you needed 18 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT and it wasn't specific to sub sections. I know UF and USC have a 15 cutoff.
I have thought about it I have been debating it because I probably wouldn't take it until late August. I didn't know if that would be a problem.

I think a re-take is in your best interest especially with the RC and GC score. How did you study for the exam/what resources did you use? I had a very similar score breakdown as yours, but used DAT Booster and DAT Destroyer+ Math Destroyer which really helped improve my AA and TS from an 18AA-->20 AA and 20 TS. DAT Booster has great video lectures and video explanations which really help solidify the material
I used DAT bootcamp mostly for the first 2 months studying and practice questions and tests and DAT booster for practice tests the last month. I scored low on RC because there was a lot of noise in my testing center during my exam and I ran out of time. I was surprised with my gen chem because I was scoring the best on those during my practice tests. Do you think if I retake now its too late?

I wasn't able to find a lot on the cut off. A lot just said you needed 18 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT and it wasn't specific to sub sections. I know UF and USC have a 15 cutoff.
I have thought about it I have been debating it because I probably wouldn't take it until late August. I didn't know if that would be a problem.
Gotcha, while that’s a plus that they have those it would still help to possibly retest if you can. You can submit your unofficial score to schools while they wait for the official score to be sent.

I used Kaplan DAT prep and scored a 22AA 21TS and 22PAT. They give you about a 3 month plan to study. Their material is much harder than what was actually covered and I felt very prepared. Though it is more expensive compared to other resources so if something works I wouldn’t change what you’re using
I used DAT bootcamp mostly for the first 2 months studying and practice questions and tests and DAT booster for practice tests the last month. I scored low on RC because there was a lot of noise in my testing center during my exam and I ran out of time. I was surprised with my gen chem because I was scoring the best on those during my practice tests. Do you think if I retake now it’s too late?
I don’t think it would be horribly late to retest. I’m sure plenty if other applicants are still applying and The cycle doesn’t end until January- February but schools do favor applicants that apply early as they have rolling admissions. So if you do decide to retest it’s probably in your best interest to test as soon as possible.

Hi everyone,
I took the DAT and didn't get what I was expecting.
AA: 18
TS:18
PAT:21
RC: 16
QR:19
Bio: 18
Gen Chem: 15
Orgo: 21
I'm debating retaking the DAT because of the 15 in gen chem and 16 in RC. I was just wondering what your thoughts were and if you had any advice. I submitted June 21st and applied to 19 schools.
I have been a dental assistant for over a year and have trained to work all around the office. I also took part in dental clubs at my school and eventually became a part of the board. Have around 700 volunteer hours, 200 shadowing hours, 1400 work hours. Been awarded Dean's list along with a scholarship from my university. I have a 3.67 gpa and 3.66 science gpa. Please let me know your thoughts and any advice! Is it possible to get accepted with these stats. Thank you in advance!
I would apply and but gear up for a retake. Mentioning that you did well on practice tests for GC and wound up scoring a 15 on the actual test means there are likely holes in your foundation or careless errors you're committing. I would meticulously evaluate your future practice tests attempts to identify the errors you're committing and tie up the loose ends.

When should I retake my DAT? you should consider retaking it if : A) you scored at or below 19 Academic Average and Total Science: given that the national average is 20.7, you should strive to score higher on the exam.

Last edited: