Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwood9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to dental school and on the DAT my overall score was a 18 and my average science score was an 18. My individual scores were 20PAT 19BIO 19OCHEM 17GCHEM 17RC and 15QR. My Overall GPA is a 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.2. I have done multiple internships and have a lot of service hours. Do you think that these scores are good enough to get accepted into dental school? Also this year I did apply very late in the cycle, I submitted my AADSAS application in the end of October. My question is would you retake the DAT or just build your resume and apply early in the application cycle.
Thanks,
mwood9

Members don't see this ad.

Your QR 15 might miss the minimum requirement for some schools; you'd have to check with each school specifically.

With that said, my observations seem to tell me that 18+ in all sections is a solid score with a decent overall application. Your overall GPA is respectable, sGPA a little on the low side (but not bad). I have a higher DAT but lower GPA/sGPA and got multiple interviews/acceptances.

Since you applied so late, it's hard to tell how you'd do next application cycle assuming you apply June/July. I'd say focus on keeping your GPA up, pray for an interview/acceptance this cycle, and spend the next couple months studying for the DAT (no need to cram).

Good luck.

Thanks for the response hopefulDMD88, if you don't mind me asking how much higher were your DAT scores then mine?
Thanks,
Mwood9

Members don't see this ad :)
I think applying early will really help. But i think it also depends on which schools you apply to. I got into 2 schools with a 16 QR. I also got rejected from 2.

In my opinion, I would re-take the DAT because your science GPA is a bit on the low side. Your QR score also may not make the cutoff score so I would look into re-taking it. GL

i think retaking the DAT would be beneficial. its possible to get in but its slim chance if u don apply early and have a better TS/AA

First let me say, I am not one of those people who recommends retakes if you are below a 20 (I have seen several who do on sdn). I would definitely recommend retaking though. Doing some generalizing based on talking to schools, stats, etc., I think most schools want at least an 18 in every section. One or two 17s would not be a deal-breaker, but one or two 17s with a 15 on top of it all...I do not believe it is competitive enough. That is just my opinion. Talk to a pre-dental advisor or admissions offices too, though, if you are still on the fence! Good luck!

First let me say, I am not one of those people who recommends retakes if you are below a 20 (I have seen several who do on sdn). I would definitely recommend retaking though. Doing some generalizing based on talking to schools, stats, etc., I think most schools want at least an 18 in every section. One or two 17s would not be a deal-breaker, but one or two 17s with a 15 on top of it all...I do not believe it is competitive enough. That is just my opinion. Talk to a pre-dental advisor or admissions offices too, though, if you are still on the fence! Good luck!

For a while I was never a firm believer in SDN's advice on RETAKE IF UNDER 20, just like you. However, the truth is the average DAT scores are quickly increasing and it is no longer just a SDN advice, but the only way you can really become competitive. The average matriculation AA is 19.5 or something for last cycle, sure to go up for this cycle to something like 19.8. Many many many people are sitting on 19s AA and 3.4 GPA, and you really need something spectacular in your background or boost those scores up in order to really set yourself apart and increase your chances of becoming competitive.

So to the OP, a retake would be a very wise decision. Good luck.

For a while I was never a firm believer in SDN's advice on RETAKE IF UNDER 20, just like you. However, the truth is the average DAT scores are quickly increasing and it is no longer just a SDN advice, but the only way you can really become competitive. The average matriculation AA is 19.5 or something for last cycle, sure to go up for this cycle to something like 19.8. Many many many people are sitting on 19s AA and 3.4 GPA, and you really need something spectacular in your background or boost those scores up in order to really set yourself apart and increase your chances of becoming competitive.

Generally yes BUT in some years this number have and can decrease as the year goes

For a while I was never a firm believer in SDN's advice on RETAKE IF UNDER 20, just like you. However, the truth is the average DAT scores are quickly increasing and it is no longer just a SDN advice, but the only way you can really become competitive. The average matriculation AA is 19.5 or something for last cycle, sure to go up for this cycle to something like 19.8.

It's because of those SDN jerks that tell people to retake with a DAT < 20 and the other camp of SDN jerks with DAT >/= 23.

That is true, no doubt that the averages are increasing. And maybe in the near future 19 won't be good enough. But I do think if you are at a 19 it is wisest to get advice from schools and advisors over SDN...I had a 19 AA and 19 TS with a 3.38 GPA and got accepted to Baylor and UTHSCSA this cycle. I've just seen the standards be astronomical on here in some cases and some people be told to retake who maybe shouldn't have.

I am currently applying to dental school and on the DAT my overall score was a 18 and my average science score was an 18. My individual scores were 20PAT 19BIO 19OCHEM 17GCHEM 17RC and 15QR. My Overall GPA is a 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.2. I have done multiple internships and have a lot of service hours. Do you think that these scores are good enough to get accepted into dental school? Also this year I did apply very late in the cycle, I submitted my AADSAS application in the end of October. My question is would you retake the DAT or just build your resume and apply early in the application cycle.
Thanks,
mwood9

I would retake if you really want to boost your chances. Both your science GPA and DAT scores are slightly below the mean of matriculating students. Unless you have something else stellar on your plate (excellent EC, PS, LORs etc) I would probably opt for a retake.

Good luck!