Should I retake the MCAT in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staurry

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:p I just got my MCAT score and it was pretty bad - 23. I really want to become a D.O. However, I don't want to take the damn MCAT again so here are my stats and if you could tell me my chances of getting into DO schools - in particular - COMP, Touro, and NYCOM, then I'd be less confused as to what I should do...Thanks!!!

MCAT: 23 M :(
Science GPA: 3.01
Non-Sci: 3.3
Overall: 3.2
(These are according to AMCAS calculations)
Normal EC's - research, volunteer, no signifigant leadership positions

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would definetly retake the MCAT, but start applying now. With your scores you may be able to slide into a seat some where if you are not picky. ApplyApplyApply!!!!!!

A few pointers, these are priceless so listen up

1. find a D.O. to shadow in your area who went to the school you wish to attend. you can do this by getting on the AOA website and searching for a physician. Look for someone in primary care, they are easy to shadow. When I did this not only did I shadow a doc who went to KCOM, the school I'll be at this fall, but he was friends with the dean of admissions. I have good stats but that kind of connection never hurt anyone.

2. Take a trip to the school you wish to attend for a visit. Most schools are very accomidating to students who want to have tour. I promise you this type of enthusiasm ends up somewhere on your application that will be reviewed by the admissions committee.

3. Stay in touch with the school and understand there time line for admissions, if it doesn't look good at your number one then start paying more attention to your number two.

Good luck and keep your head up.

shaun;)

The question you have to ask yourself here is how bad do you want it?? Do you want it bad enough to suck it up and face the MCAT again??? If I were you I'd take it again. I was in the same spot as you (21) and studied my rear off during the summer and improved (27). You're scores are on the low end of the spectrum and if you could improve you MCAT you'd have alot better chance.

I also agree with s42brown, do what he/she said, especially the DO part. That's priceless, especially if you can find some one who has some extra connections to a school. The DO I shadowed knew numerous long standing influential individuals at UHS so that helped getting in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The question you have to ask yourself here is how bad do you want it?? Do you want it bad enough to suck it up and face the MCAT again??? If I were you I'd take it again. I was in the same spot as you (21) and studied my rear off during the summer and improved (27). You're scores are on the low end of the spectrum and if you could improve you MCAT you'd have alot better chance.

I also agree with s42brown, do what he/she said, especially the DO part. That's priceless, especially if you can find some one who has some extra connections to a school. The DO I shadowed knew numerous long standing influential individuals at UHS so that helped getting in there.

I totally agree with the above poster about shadowing a D.O. who went to one of the schools you'll be applying to. You may also have some luck finding this information by going to the school's website and search for alumni. You never know what part of your application will do it for you, but in my case I was accepted to the school that received my LOR from one of their alumni.