Should I/Shouldn't I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnow00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question gets asked all the time, but it's nice to get feedback specifc to my own situation. I took the April MCAT and did not so great (11V 10B 7P L). I can't retake in August for many reasons and am stuck with the decision of whether to apply this year or wait yet another year and retake in April. I am open to applying to both MD & DO schools, but am not sure if I have a chance at either. My ug GPA was 3.71, but it's been 3 years since I've taken any classes. I did do a year of Americorps and have been working in a medicine dept at a university since then that has given me exposure to lots of docs and what they do. I'm about to begin as a coodinator for a couple of clinical trials as well. Do I try this year or wait again? I'm already 25 and don't want to wait much longer. Help!?

Members don't see this ad.

minnow00,

You better apply this year!! Worst case scenario; you don't get in and you apply next year... Best case/very probabable scenario: you get in this year! I don't see any reason not to apply now... I know the application process is super intimidating, but like the MCAT, it is a rite of passage and definitely conquerable...

Good luck and stay positive!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

minnow00,

You'll never know what will happen unless you try. There are people in medical school with lower stats than you; conversely there are people who haven't gotten in with your stats or better stats. But, you won't know if you don't apply. Your overall MCAT is pretty good (the L is a little low, and may be subject to questions during interviews) and your GPA is above average. Good luck, if you apply to enough schools you stand a good chance.

BG

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Brian - definitely apply this year! You have a good GPA and MCAT score, and you have tons of experience. I would say you definitely have a really good shot of getting in this year. And if you would happen to not get in this year, applying again is not a big deal. I didn't get into medical school the first time I applied, but it all worked out for the best in the end.
Good luck!

minnow00,

Don't Think Too Much Apply!

Just do your thinking on the application. You have a good shot.

Good luck!

With those extra curriculars and stats you have a good shot at quite a few allopathic or osteopathic schools. Your stellar GPA and extra curricular activities will compensate for your average MCAT.