Medical Should I still matriculate into medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to pay my tuition for the class of 2023 into medical school, and I am starting to have second thoughts. I am unsure if I want to go to medical school especially this one. I really loved working in a clinical with other doctors and conducting research, but I do not want to go back to college and I get the vibe I will have to with this school. Many of the students seemed immature. I know it should not bother me but it does, and I have been trying to overcome this feeling for close to 6 months now. I want to work, I do not want to go back to a college like environment.
Additionally, the distance is separating me from my wife.
Another big factor is that I do not believe I go into a good enough medical school to get the residency I want. i know I will get a residency in the specialty I want, but I do not believe I am going to be able to go to the location and the specialty that I want. A big part of me feels like if I waited just one more year I would have gotten into a really amazing medical school. After my acceptance i gave 4 presentations, had 5 publication, and even started a program at one of the best hospitals in the country, and before that I had none of those things, it makes me feel like I got jipped. Should I just not go, how do I know if I am making the right decision? Should I wait another year and just apply with the better resume or will that kill my chances.

I feel bad asking this question., because many people fail to be accepted to any American MD school, yet I see this school as a road block that I must overcome rather than an opportunity I can seize.
I'm sorry but why did you take the offer if you had these remaining concerns? At this point, if you drop you probably won't get into any medical school (except if you drop out of MD, maybe DO), and if you did apply, you will have to say you accepted but did not start. There needs to be a real compelling reason in that situation, and even so, your chances are not good.

What did student services tell you in response to your concerns above?

Members don't see this ad.

Since the main things are covered above, I'm going to add just based on your comments with residency.

For the most part, it's not going to matter as much as the school you go to as much as it does your board scores. I know of a Harvard grad who even had stellar scores and still did not match derm, even with research in the field. I know of DOs who have matched ACGME derm because they had the scores just the same.

It plays a part to some degree, yes, but dont let THAT be the reason for choosing not to go somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.