Should I study/review anything prior to matriculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainbows&Waterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to my dream M.D. school and am eager to get started. However, I have been out of school for 1.5 years (for an extended gap year) and am worried that I am going to struggle with my classes at first (compared to my classmates that are fresh out of school). Should I be studying anything/reviewing material prior to matriculation?

Background: Over the past year I've taken the MCAT, published research, and maintained a full-time medical scribe job-so it's not like I've been super lazy. I've also had a long break with lots of travel and fun so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I hit the books early.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to my dream M.D. school and am eager to get started.
Congratulations!

However, I have been out of school for 1.5 years (for an extended gap year) and am worried that I am going to struggle with my classes at first (compared to my classmates that are fresh out of school). Should I be studying anything/reviewing material prior to matriculation?

Background: Over the past year I've taken the MCAT, published research, and maintained a full-time medical scribe job-so it's not like I've been super lazy. I've also had a long break with lots of travel and fun so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I hit the books early.

Any advice?
Just enjoy your summer. School will come before you know it. Congratulations again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Read for pleasure if you enjoy that.
Spend quality time with the old folks in your family.
Master a few recipes that freeze/reheat well and can be made in batches or that work in a crockpot.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t recommend studying before the start of school.

Reactions: 1 user