Should I take a fifth year to increase science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highfiveforme

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science gpa is probably like a 1.1 right now and I was working full time and messed up my first two years of undergrad. My cumulative gpa is 2.2. I literally switched my major from biology--> HEALTH SCIENCE and now psychology BA. Im thinking of double majoring or minoring for another year and trying to strive to aim for 4.0's now on atleast A- or B. Is this one way to go about it or just do a post-baccc. either way I am graduating late and I am a bit concerned if I really have a chance. please DON'T DISCOURAGE and say I don't have a chance. any constructive ideas are appreciated!! and NO, I am not trolling! I am just really extremely concerned about my future and what I should do to boost my gpa!

first semester: C in general chem, C in calculus, C in chem lab 1, psychology intro B,
second semester: C in general chem, Pass in calculus, B+ in gen chem 2, D in biology intro
third semester: F- in intro to bio ( second time) and F in organic chem 1, B in English, b in sociology.
summer of second year: F in organic chem 1.
fourth semester: c in philosophy, c in anthropology, c in anatomy and physiology,
fifth semester: D+ research methods, C in anatomy and physiology 2, c in social psychology,
6th semester: b in political science, c in social repro, b in English, a in arts, a in Spanish,
7th semester: changed to psychology major: stats! , drugs in the brain, abnormal psych, cognitive psych, humanitarian class for sociology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
please DON'T DISCOURAGE and say I don't have a chance.
Okay....
Well. I'll tell you this. If you can get your sgpa to 2.5 and your cgpa closer to 3.0, get a 90+ PCAT composite score, get 2 letter of recommendations from science professors and 1 from a pharmacist, and work as a pharmacy tech, you should be good to go. I will add this in though, this type of upward trend is easier said than done.
You should really hear the truth though. This is your future after all.

Okay....
Well. I'll tell you this. If you can get your sgpa to 2.5 and your cgpa closer to 3.0, get a 90+ PCAT composite score, get 2 letter of recommendations from science professors and 1 from a pharmacist, and work as a pharmacy tech, you should be good to go. I will add this in though, this type of upward trend is easier said than done.
You should really hear the truth though. This is your future after all.
What he said.

Members don't see this ad :)
My science gpa is probably like a 1.1 right now and I was working full time and messed up my first two years of undergrad. My cumulative gpa is 2.2. I literally switched my major from biology--> HEALTH SCIENCE and now psychology BA. Im thinking of double majoring or minoring for another year and trying to strive to aim for 4.0's now on atleast A- or B. Is this one way to go about it or just do a post-baccc. either way I am graduating late and I am a bit concerned if I really have a chance. please DON'T DISCOURAGE and say I don't have a chance. any constructive ideas are appreciated!! and NO, I am not trolling! I am just really extremely concerned about my future and what I should do to boost my gpa!

first semester: C in general chem, C in calculus, C in chem lab 1, psychology intro B,
second semester: C in general chem, Pass in calculus, B+ in gen chem 2, D in biology intro
third semester: F- in intro to bio ( second time) and F in organic chem 1, B in English, b in sociology.
fourth semester: c in philosophy, c in anthropology, c in anatomy and physiology,
fifth semester: D+ research methods, C in anatomy and physiology 2, c in social psychology,
6th semester: b in political science, c in social repro, b in English, a in arts, a in Spanish,
7th semester: changed to psychology major: stats! , drugs in the brain, abnormal psych, cognitive psych, humanitarian class for sociology.

No, you shouldn’t go straight to a 5th year.

1) Take a break from school and work on experience. Be a pharm tech and take the PTCB exam.

2) after 1.5 - 2 years of experiences, return and take all of your pre-reqs with A’s (easier said than done).

3) As close to a 99 on the PCAT as possible (easier said than done).

4) Participate in Research

Now, if you wanna be financially savvy:

1) Join uniformed services as a pharmacy tech and enlist in TX (you’ll qualify for Hazelwood Act + GI Bill).

Hazelwood will pay for all pre-reqs and GI bill will pay all of Pharmacy. Add about 4 yrs + preqs + pharmD and you’ll be debt free with priority job listings in government companies. With that delay you’ll still be financially ahead avoiding 300k+ of growing debt with interest on top of interest.

Or, do a 5th year with little hope of acceptance. Should you get accepted however, little chance of passing with high debt. On the off-chance your a snowflake, Do my list of options and you’ll be guaranteed a spot. Continue what you do however, you’ll either

A) Be In debt with no acceptance
B) Be in Bigger debt after failing out of pharmacy

Patterns don’t lie so neither will I...

Reactions: 1 users
No, you shouldn’t go straight to a 5th year.

1) Take a break from school and work on experience. Be a pharm tech and take the PTCB exam.

2) after 1.5 - 2 years of experiences, return and take all of your pre-reqs with A’s (easier said than done).

3) As close to a 99 on the PCAT as possible (easier said than done).

4) Participate in Research

Now, if you wanna be financially savvy:

1) Join uniformed services as a pharmacy tech and enlist in TX (you’ll qualify for Hazelwood Act + GI Bill).

Hazelwood will pay for all pre-reqs and GI bill will pay all of Pharmacy. Add about 4 yrs + preqs + pharmD and you’ll be debt free with priority job listings in government companies. With that delay you’ll still be financially ahead avoiding 300k+ of growing debt with interest on top of interest.

Or, do a 5th year with little hope of acceptance. Should you get accepted however, little chance of passing with high debt. On the off-chance your a snowflake, Do my list of options and you’ll be guaranteed a spot. Continue what you do however, you’ll either

A) Be In debt with no acceptance
B) Be in Bigger debt after failing out of pharmacy

Patterns don’t lie so neither will I...

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?

If you push forward like your doing, you will accumulate more debt. You have little chance of acceptance. 2 things will happen (I labeled them as “A” and “B” but you didn’t include them in your thread attachment). However, if you follow my bulletin outline in this thread, you’ll make it to pharmacy.

As a side-note: Snowflake is referring to anyone who may be extra sensitive with facts and thus go through an emotional roller-coaster.

If you push forward like your doing, you will accumulate more debt. You have little chance of acceptance. 2 things will happen (I labeled them as “A” and “B” but you didn’t include them in your thread attachment). However, if you follow my bulletin outline in this thread, you’ll make it to pharmacy.

As a side-note: Snowflake is referring to anyone who may be extra sensitive with facts and thus go through an emotional roller-coaster.

why would i be in more debt if I take another year?

your science gpa is 1.1? You better take a year or two years off and increase your science GPA and take PCAT

Guys, this guy also post same topic under different name sevensmart. This dude must be a troll.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok, so I am a psych BA major with a 2.2 gpa as of now, which is bound to go up and I'm in my fourth year of college. I go to SUNY. I am afraid that my gpa won't go up to 3.0, by the end of the 8th semester. I have never heard of CCOM. Do I have any shot at any post bacc programs which will accept me? And I have received C's in general chem 1/2, a D in intro to bio 1 and then F retaking it, and then 2 F's in organic chemistry. I was aiming for PHARMD or A MS, but maybe it might NOT be possible now, but maybe in the future. What do I do? Please let me know, thanks. my mind changed in undergrad so I changed my major from bio--> to health science --> to psychology BA( health science didnt provide any future aspects). I am really worried if the PSYCH BA WILL LOOK TERRIBLE for my application!! I HEARD MOST ppl are bio majors

Your telling us this isn’t you OP?

Anyway....

If your school is funded by your folks, you still cant seem to grasp the basics. Thus, you’ll need to step away from school and reevaluate yourself. That’s why it’s suggested to wrk in a pharmacy to get paid experience. Then, start fresh in your mind with some time between your old grades vs new and go down the list I gave you.

Your telling us this isn’t you OP?

Anyway....

If your school is funded by your folks, you still cant seem to grasp the basics. Thus, you’ll need to step away from school and reevaluate yourself. That’s why it’s suggested to wrk in a pharmacy to get paid experience. Then, start fresh in your mind with some time between your old grades vs new and go down the list I gave you.

It is not funded by my folks. I am paying for it. I mean I go to a suny school. NO I CAN GRASP THE BASICS! I could try giving bio a third time, to get a psych BS. so what is wrong with a 5th year

It is not funded by my folks. I am paying for it. I mean I go to a suny school. NO I CAN GRASP THE BASICS! I could try giving bio a third time, to get a psych BS. so what is wrong with a 5th year

Taking bio a 3rd time is not grasping the basics. What’s wrong with a 5th year is that you are not allowing a “break” in your transcript to recuperate and show remedy with your GPA. If your failing now consistently, another year won’t make a difference unless you take time off and work in a pharmacy.

Get experience, make money, then retake ALL pre-reqs with more maturity and discipline. You’ll undergo burnout and trash your transcript rather than remediate it if you keep reaching for straws and small hope of acceptance.

You failed Organic Chem, you failed gen chem, you failed intro to bio. You cannot retake ALL of these in one year...step back, work, then return and do a DIY post-bac nailing all of your pre-reqs.

This is undergrad your doing....Pharmacy is a lot more demanding.

Taking bio a 3rd time is not grasping the basics. What’s wrong with a 5th year is that you are not allowing a “break” in your transcript to recuperate and show remedy with your GPA. If your failing now consistently, another year won’t make a difference unless you take time off and work in a pharmacy.

Get experience, make money, then retake ALL pre-reqs with more maturity and discipline. You’ll undergo burnout and trash your transcript rather than remediate it if you keep reaching for straws and small hope of acceptance.

You failed Organic Chem, you failed gen chem, you failed intro to bio. You cannot retake ALL of these in one year...step back, work, then return and do a DIY post-bac nailing all of your pre-reqs.

This is undergrad your doing....Pharmacy is a lot more demanding.

I didn't even fail general chemistry? listen I failed bio just like that and orgo. I was so depressed I didn't even try

listen I failed bio just like that and orgo. I was so depressed I didn't even try

With that being said:

Why would a 5th year help? Even if you got A’s? How long have you worked in a pharmacy? What makes you stick out from other applicants?

Now, let’s assume you get in to pharmacy: how are you going to handle pharmacy school if things get tough? If life happens and you get slightly distracted?

Why not double major with a teaching certificate? Paid summers off, little debt, weekends off...

What hobbies do you have? Do you like working on computers? Teaching? Your struggle in the sciences isn’t necessarily due to a learning disorder, it may just not be what you really wanna do for 20-30 years. Nothing wrong with that, but I believe you could use that 5th year towards a degree that makes you quickly employable in a needed field.

With that being said:
Why would a 5th year help? Even if you got A’s? How long have you worked in a pharmacy? What makes you stick out from other applicants?

Now, let’s assume you get in to pharmacy: how are you going to handle pharmacy school if things get tough? If life happens and you get slightly distracted?

Why not double major with a teaching certificate? Paid summers off, little debt, weekends off...

What hobbies do you have? Do you like working on computers? Teaching? Your struggle in the sciences isn’t necessarily due to a learning disorder, it may just not be what you really wanna do for 20-30 years. Nothing wrong with that, but I believe you could use that 5th year towards a degree that makes you quickly employable in a needed field.

masters could help

ok, how is finance? it pays pretty well and pharma. I think I should retake another year and then do pre reqs like diy somewhere else...for a good pharmacy school. fingers crossed... and now try to get a pharmacy tech job or shadow a pharmacist

Last edited:
ok, how is finance? it pays pretty well and pharma. I think I should retake another year and then do pre reqs like diy somewhere else...for a good pharmacy school. fingers crossed... and now try to get a pharmacy tech job or shadow a pharmacist

Finance would be a far better career choice. Job prospects are far better, and you can earn just as much as a pharmacist if not more without having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school. Pharmacy is completely saturated and getting worse each year as the major chains are cutting hours and new pharmacy schools continue to flood the market with more graduates than there are jobs available.

Reactions: 1 user
Finance would be a far better career choice. Job prospects are far better, and you can earn just as much as a pharmacist if not more without having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school. Pharmacy is completely saturated and getting worse each year as the major chains are cutting hours and new pharmacy schools continue to flood the market with more graduates than there are jobs available.

idk man...but don't u have to do an MBA? no, pharmacy is good too, but like I mean I could try for whatever, DO dental, optometry, but idk what the pay options are, first I need the pre reqs.

I feel really bad for my grades :(

Your Statements are troubling OP, if any moderator catches you with two different accounts (@highfiveforme / @sevensmart ) they’ll likely close both accounts. As inticing as it’s been, your still trolling albeit you have plenty of answers and options from both of your threads.

Users who have been banned for trolling are not allowed to create another account.