Should I Take Another Semester of Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunkyfilms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be able to graduate a semester early once I complete the Fall 2018 semester. Assuming I get all A's I'll graduate with ~3.56 cGPA of 129 credits. If I take an extra semester full-time of 12 credits, I can graduate with a 3.6 cGPA of 141credits. The grades that lowered my GPA are a D (3 credits) in a psych course, a D+ in Bio 1 (4 credits) retaken for an A, a C (3 credits) in Gen Chem 1 lecture, and a C+ (4 credits) in Gen Chem 2. The majority of my grades are A-'s and A's. My Fall 2018 (and potential Spring 2019) schedule will be "easy" credits of electives and general education requirements since I've completed my major and the main required courses. The extra semester would be covered by financial aid. Is that GPA difference worth another semester? I'm URM (African-American) and don't plan on taking the MCAT until Spring/Summer 2019 so that I can apply in 2019 for Fall 2020 matriculation at either MD or DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I'll be able to graduate a semester early once I complete the Fall 2018 semester. Assuming I get all A's I'll graduate with ~3.56 cGPA of 129 credits. If I take an extra semester full-time of 12 credits, I can graduate with a 3.6 cGPA of 141credits. The grades that lowered my GPA are a D (3 credits) in a psych course, a D+ in Bio 1 (4 credits) retaken for an A, a C (3 credits) in Gen Chem 1 lecture, and a C+ (4 credits) in Gen Chem 2. The majority of my grades are A-'s and A's. My Fall 2018 (and potential Spring 2019) schedule will be "easy" credits of electives and general education requirements since I've completed my major and the main required courses. The extra semester would be covered by financial aid. Is that GPA difference worth another semester? I'm URM (African-American) and don't plan on taking the MCAT until Spring/Summer 2019 so that I can apply in 2019 for Fall 2020 matriculation at either MD or DO.
What is your BCPM GPA? I suspect it's quite low. You won't be doing yourself a favor to take all "easy" classes your last term when it's your science GPA that needs a boost. My vote would be that you'd stay in school and graduate at the usual time, giving special attention to repairing your sGPA, since that's what matters more to adcomms.

Here's a good, downloadable AMCAS GPA calculator, if you don't want to figure your BCPM GPA by hand:
AMCAS GPA Calculator (Revised)

What is your BCPM GPA? I suspect it's quite low. You won't be doing yourself a favor to take all "easy" classes your last term when it's your science GPA that needs a boost. My vote would be that you'd stay in school and graduate at the usual time, giving special attention to repairing your sGPA, since that's what matters more to adcomms.

Here's a good, downloadable AMCAS GPA calculator, if you don't want to figure your BCPM GPA by hand:
AMCAS GPA Calculator (Revised)
My BCPM GPA will be a 3.33. I'm strongly leaning towards taking a year of A&P which would pull me up to a 3.42 max. I could also graduate next semester and enroll in some science classes afterwards. If I stay in school the extra semester just for science course credits, I would wouldn't be able to get full financial aid because I'd be a part-time student anyway. I'm a Forensic Psychology major minoring in English.

Members don't see this ad :)
My BCPM GPA will be a 3.33. I'm strongly leaning towards taking a year of A&P which would pull me up to a 3.42 max. I could also graduate next semester and enroll in some science classes afterwards. If I stay in school the extra semester just for science course credits, I would wouldn't be able to get full financial aid because I'd be a part-time student anyway. I'm a Forensic Psychology major minoring in English.
If your D+ in Bio 1, C in Gen Chem 1 lecture, and C+ in Gen Chem 2 all happened early in college and you've gotten A range grades in science and math since then (sophomore and junior year), besides continuing the upward science trend your senior year (whether in college or postbac classes, doesn't matter), you're probably going to be fine at schools that give credit for GPA redemption by weighting recent grades more heavily.

If your D+ in Bio 1, C in Gen Chem 1 lecture, and C+ in Gen Chem 2 all happened early in college and you've gotten A range grades in science and math since then (sophomore and junior year), besides continuing the upward science trend your senior year (whether in college or postbac classes, doesn't matter), you're probably going to be fine at schools that give credit for GPA redemption by weighting recent grades more heavily.
I was born in NYC and have lived here my entire life. I'm interested in NY schools like Columbia, Mount Sinai, and Albert Einstein. What MCAT score would I need to have in order to be competitive at those schools? I would like to apply to California schools as well.

I was born in NYC and have lived here my entire life. I'm interested in NY schools like Columbia, Mount Sinai, and Albert Einstein. What MCAT score would I need to have in order to be competitive at those schools? I would like to apply to California schools as well.
517+ for the Manhattan Titans, 515 for Einstein and Hofstra.

Agree 100$ with the Cat.