Should I Take Genetics for Med School Prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been hit hard with senioritis (second-semester senior)---classes started 10 days ago and I have yet to do any homework or even go to class (they are recorded though, haven't listened to them)

I am taking five classes:

Independent Research
Cell bio and biochem
Humanities
Humanities seminar

For my fifth class, I am currently enrolled in "molecular bio & genetics" but my friends and my advisor say taking biochem and genetics is killer (both very tough courses at my school). Is genetics that helpful for med school? I find it interesting but my schedule is tough already, and even tougher with senioritis. The alternative is evolution which I find VERY VERY boring but it is much easier than genetics.

Btw I am aiming for B-s at the very least, I don't want C's. Genetics and biochem are curved to a B- but evolution is curved to a B probably if not higher.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I so wish I would have taken genetics in undergrad. Our genetics class was pretty brutal for people who had never taken it before, and a breeze for people who did (I'm generalizing, but that was the overall sense I got from talking to classmates).

However, if taking it is going to be too stressful and has the potential to hurt your GPA, it's really not a necessity. Just be ready to hit the ground running and keep up with studying when you get genetics in med school, and you should come out okay!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it if you're interested in it. I had very little bio in college and did fine in med school.

Genetics in medical school is pretty brutal but I don't think my undergrad Genetics helped at all. There's a huge difference between Genetics taught in undergrad by research scientists and Medical Genetics.

They teach you what you need to know for med school in med school.