This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LatePrePharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying to pharmacy schools this fall. I graduated with a BS in biology May 2015, and I've spent the last year taking the last few prereqs needed for pharmacy school (I decided to do pharmacy really late) and working as a pharm tech in a hospital.

I'll be done with all my prereqs this spring, with a cumulative GPA of 3.34 and a slight downward trend in grades. But I'm wondering if I should retake Orgo II. I got a D in Orgo I, retook it and got a B-. B+ in Orgo I lab. I got a C in Orgo II. There is no Orgo II lab offered so pharmacy schools in my state excuse it for my school. I have the option of retaking Orgo II this summer, same instructor, and my job would cover the cost of the class.

Just wondering if it's worth retaking.

Members don't see this ad.

I say don't retake. I have a similar situation. I failed ochem my first try. Flat out "F." I know, pretty bad. Retook it got a C+. Got an A in Ochem II. If this is your only C, its not that big of a deal.

Plus summer classes are the worst. You don't have as much time to learn the material. If you're going to retake do it fall/spring semester.
Are you applying to the program this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I say don't retake. I have a similar situation. I failed ochem my first try. Flat out "F." I know, pretty bad. Retook it got a C+. Got an A in Ochem II. If this is your only C, its not that big of a deal.

Plus summer classes are the worst. You don't have as much time to learn the material. If you're going to retake do it fall/spring semester.
Are you applying to the program this year?

Unfortunately it's not my only C.

Orgo I Lecture:: D --> B-
A&P I Lecture:: C+
Physics Mech & Heat:: C+
Physics E&M:: C --> A-
Orgo II Lecture:: C

Everything else is an A or a B.

My school does not offer an Orgo II Lab, but it is a requirement for every pharmacy schools in my state. Since the university I went to is the biggest in state, my school is the only they "excuse" the fact that we don't have a lab as long as you took the lecture class. I'm a little nervous because I'm wondering if Orgo II is weighted more heavily for applicants from my school because of this, AND because I did bad my first time taking Orgo I.

Last edited:
I would retake it. I think a downward trend in your grades doesn't look too good on an applicant, because it might give off the impression that you're just going to stay on that pattern as classes get harder. Since you wouldn't be delaying your applications to pharm school, and wouldn't be increasing your course load (since you're taking it in the summer) I would say go for it.

Unfortunately it's not my only C.

Orgo I Lecture:: D --> B-
A&P I Lecture:: C+
Physics Mech & Heat:: C+
Physics E&M:: C --> A-
Orgo II Lecture:: C

Everything else is an A or a B.

My school does not offer an Orgo II Lab, but it is a requirement for every pharmacy schools in my state. Since the university I went to is the biggest in state, my school is the only they "excuse" the fact that we don't have a lab as long as you took the lecture class. I'm a little nervous because I'm wondering if Orgo II is weighted more heavily for applicants from my school because of this, AND because I did bad my first time taking Orgo I.

Then I would retake. You don't want a lot of Cs in your science classes. .