Should i take these classes at community college or a university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicallyundecided

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the prereqs for typical med school is biology, chem, physics, math, and english.

I am taking my bio and chem at a university for sure. I plan on taking calculus at community college and stats at a university. I also plan on taking physics at a community college. English is going to be completed at the community college.

My question is... should I consider retaking the calculus and physics at a university? Because I know that med schools do take into consideration where I got my credits. Will this affect my chances of getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Make a list of potential schools you would apply to. Some schools have a limit of the number of community college classes they will take. Others will say if you did community college classes, you can't apply, and lastly, some will say as long as you take the upper division classes at a university, it's ok. For example, I took gen bio and gen chem at a community college, but classes such as genetics, biochem, orgo, etc, I took at a university, so I was fine. So definitely check with all schools, call if you have to, because you don't want to waste your time applying somewhere that will have a bias against where you took your classes. Hope this helps.

Make a list of potential schools you would apply to. Some schools have a limit of the number of community college classes they will take. Others will say if you did community college classes, you can't apply, and lastly, some will say as long as you take the upper division classes at a university, it's ok. For example, I took gen bio and gen chem at a community college, but classes such as genetics, biochem, orgo, etc, I took at a university, so I was fine. So definitely check with all schools, call if you have to, because you don't want to waste your time applying somewhere that will have a bias against where you took your classes. Hope this helps.
Thanks! That helped a lot!

Reactions: 1 user