Should I take this job or fully commit to MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homesweetpineapple

Reaction score
So I was just offered a full-time position as a medical assistant in a derm office. I just completed my post-bacc and have no clinical experience, so this is a fantastic opportunity. The issue is, my MCAT is currently scheduled for 8/27 and I am just now starting to study (applying next cycle). The job wouldn't start until mid-June. Here are the options I am weighing:
Option A:
Accept the job, study full-time until the job begins in mid-june. Once the job begins, aim to study at least 15-hrs a week for 10 weeks until the exam. It is only 4 days a week, so the free weekday would be used for full-lengths, Saturday off, Sunday review the full-length. Can push MCAT a month or two if needed.
Option B:
Decline the job offer, study full-time for 3 months, take the MCAT, and attempt to find a similar job position after taking the MCAT (I have no idea how difficult/rare these jobs are to find).
Important info:
Low undergrad GPA with upward trend (3.3x), High post-bacc GPA (3.9x, just took all the prereqs), high MCAT is needed. 13 month minimum commitment for the job and can extend for as long as I need. ORM, non-CA applicant.
I appreciate any advice, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my opinion, but since you admit you have NO clinical experience, I'd put my vote down for taking the job. If you wound up studying full-time for the MCAT, you've wasted 3 months that you could have gotten in the bank for your application for clinical experience... or may wind up with such a bad experience you could change your mind.

That said, you should also be looking to shadow or do informational interviews with other specialties outside of dermatology. We have no clue about the rest of your application to recommend pushing you to apply this cycle or wait until next.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with MrSMile12 and would take Option A. And if necessary push the MCAT back a month or two. I also second the shadowing suggestions -- but after you take the MCAT. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the job. I have my suspicions that Adcoms look more favorably upon. Those who work or are in school while MCAT studying

Reactions: 1 user
So I was just offered a full-time position as a medical assistant in a derm office. I just completed my post-bacc and have no clinical experience, so this is a fantastic opportunity. The issue is, my MCAT is currently scheduled for 8/27 and I am just now starting to study (applying next cycle). The job wouldn't start until mid-June. Here are the options I am weighing:
Option A:
Accept the job, study full-time until the job begins in mid-june. Once the job begins, aim to study at least 15-hrs a week for 10 weeks until the exam. It is only 4 days a week, so the free weekday would be used for full-lengths, Saturday off, Sunday review the full-length. Can push MCAT a month or two if needed.
Option B:
Decline the job offer, study full-time for 3 months, take the MCAT, and attempt to find a similar job position after taking the MCAT (I have no idea how difficult/rare these jobs are to find).
Important info:
Low undergrad GPA with upward trend (3.3x), High post-bacc GPA (3.9x, just took all the prereqs), high MCAT is needed. 13 month minimum commitment for the job and can extend for as long as I need. ORM, non-CA applicant.
I appreciate any advice, thank you!

I would take the job and plan to study at least 30 hours a week. You have 14 weeks until your MCAT so you'll need to study about that much to give yourself enough time to make sure you do well. What's your study plan for the MCAT? I always recommend Uworld their content is pretty close to the exam and active recall is better than passive studying.

Both are nonnegotiable in this case. You need this really nice clinical opporunity and you need to crush the mcat

You will have to balance much more in med school. Get used to it. I recommend doing both (modification plan A)! Aug 27 is far away so if you dedicate 5 hrs per day you should have no problems.

Take the job. There is always that affect that if you have all day to study, one sometimes gets less done than when there is a time crunch.

I was doing PhD work full time 5 days a week while studying for mine and did well on it.

Since you're not applying until next cycle, what's the rush to take the MCAT this August? Rescheduling the MCAT until Spring of 2023 seems like it's an option. Even if you took it Jan/Feb and didn't like your score, that still leaves 3 months to study for a retake. That way you can take the job and just study part time for longer, instead of studying full time for shorter. Nothing shows that you have time management skills than working full time while studying for either school or the MCAT! Not saying this is the best or right way, but just sharing that this is what I did because I didn't have a choice (I needed a paycheck) and it turned out alright for me!