Should I take this to prepare for MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mr. otcoD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that have taken the new MCAT, which classes have you taken and which did you think REALLY helped? Use the list above please and state any others if you thought it helped:
 
I'm not voting because I have yet to take the exam, but, from what I read on SDN, the most help you're going to get for the new MCAT outside of yours course is going to come from Biochemistry, Genetics, and Physiology.
 
Biochem.... biochem ... then there's that biochem. More biochem, maybe a little genetics, but really, biochem. Kid you not.

Orgo 2 is being phased out at many med schools as a pre-req and biochem inserted, therefore, as a pre-req you MIGHT need it but for the MCAT:

Strecker synthesis and one other ... have to look on the AAMC official guide.
 
Thanks you guys! I was able to sign up for biochem.
I took a KAPLAN FL 2 and there was some physiology and anatomy questions. Do yall think human physiology would help in any way?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biochem.... biochem ... then there's that biochem. More biochem, maybe a little genetics, but really, biochem. Kid you not.

Orgo 2 is being phased out at many med schools as a pre-req and biochem inserted, therefore, as a pre-req you MIGHT need it but for the MCAT:

Strecker synthesis and one other ... have to look on the AAMC official guide.
Biochem 1 covers all the biochem needed eh?
also, how quickly is it being phased out you think?
 
Physiology is key and Orgo is a must. Also, cellular/molecular biology helps ALOT.

There were some times where I could answer passages 100% correct without even reading the passage just by reading the questions and answer choices.
 
Biochem 1 covers all the biochem needed eh?
also, how quickly is it being phased out you think?

Depends on your school's biochem class. The only 2-semester sequence at my uni was for biochem majors; the course I took was for non-majors and very in-depth. There is nothing on the MCAT, as listed in the OG, that was not taught by my prof.

Biochem won't be phased out. Orgo 2 will be (my guess but I've been told that by people in the know for 3 years now; and it is slowly coming to fruition)