Should I take upper div. genetics, or another biochem course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for stuff to take next academic year, and my current finances and lack of work during COVID-19 means that I need to choose between an upper division genetics course, or an additional biochem course (metabolism). I've completed a year of general bio, and the genetics included in that sequence.

I'm on a career change/GPA repair track if that means anything, and taken about 30 units worth of prerequisites so far; I've gotten an A in all classes so far.

Which class do you think will be more helpful for the MCAT? I heard the genetics on the MCAT is rather basic, and that I'll benefit more from more biochemistry. Thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you studied metabolism in another biochem class before? If you've never studied the ins and outs of TCA/glycolysis/etc, then I would recommend biochem for that.

If you've already done that and this would be a more advanced biochem elective, you might find genetics more helpful than you expect! Although there isn't a ton of Mendelian genetics (your traditional punnet squares) on the MCAT, a genetics course might also go through transcription/translation/genes more in-depth. This is covered quite heavily on the MCAT.

Although there isn't a ton of Mendelian genetics (your traditional punnet squares) on the MCAT, a genetics course might also go through transcription/translation/genes more in-depth.
Mendelian genetics was a single chapter of my genetics course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Mendelian genetics was a single chapter of my genetics course.

Yes, exactly! And often what you might see in terms of transcription/translation/DNA content in a bio 101 course is super simplified, compared to what you would study in an upper level genetics/mol bio course. OP, if the genetics course you would take covers this type of material, you may want to strongly consider it.

Reactions: 1 users
I would take biochem. As a biochem major i definitely felt better. I felt like Genetics in medical school is relatively easy to learn within a short period of time. biochem is pretty massive though. I felt like it would have been so much harder to catch up on.

Reactions: 1 user
Biochem is pretty decently represented. Metabolism sounds like it would be better than a high level genetics class, considering the genetics on the MCAT tend to be pretty simple.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors