Should I tell my letter writer to hold onto the LoR they began?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kp178

Reaction score
I asked them to write it a while back and they said they would need my personal statement. I told them I could give it to them a few weeks before the deadline I gave them. However, now I'm not ready to apply and don't want to write a crap, hasty PS for them to refer to. I need to communicate with them now because the deadline I gave them is approaching. Should I ask them to hold onto the letter until next year when I can give the PS? Or should I give them an interfolio link and just take what they have now?

Also, I have a second prof that agreed to write one but didn't request a PS. I'm thinking I should give them the Interfolio link now and just hold onto this one.

What do you think I should email these professors? Ask one to hold it and the other to upload to Interfolio?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The first one probably hasn’t even started because he’s waiting for your PS. So I’d just tell him you are taking a gap year and ask him if he will write you a letter next year when yo can provide your PS early in the process. I think I’d tell the second one you are taking a gap year and give him the choice of completing the letter and uploading it now or wait until next year when you could offer your PS as a supporting document. Does your school have a committee letter?