Should I time my SAT practice test?

TVS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my PSAT scores. To me, they're quite good - Critical Reading - 59, Math - 54, Writing - 60. However, I want to score above 700 on each section on the actual test. The writing section is something that I excel in. The critical is okay.. and the math section is just a nightmare. What books should I get in order to get better at the math and critical reading section? When I take practice tests, do I time them? (Whenever something is timed, I get very antsy and will miss questions that I know the answers to) I'm planning to Emory, My GPA is 4.0+. What kind of SAT scores are they looking for and do they require you to take the ACT? PS I really need some online SAT resources such as practice tests and etc. Could anyone tell me some? I'm sorry. I hope I'm not asking for too much. I just really want to do well on this test.

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't hurt to time it. Have no idea about SAT vs. ACT, so I can't help you there (for what its worth, I only took the SAT, and I've been accepted at 4-5 schools). Try Barron's SAT book, it worked out well for me.

To be perfectly honest, you sound like you're on the right path; just need a little work between now and the test. Does your school have any SAT prep courses? That may be something to look into. Try Collegeboard's Daily Question of the Day to get used to the question format somewhat.

Also, don't base your entire future on the SAT. Your GPA looks really good right now, so keep that up. SAT is only one of the criteria that colleges look at, so it won't make or break your application. Although, it would look nice to have a decent-sized score.

Sorry if my advice was a bit unorganized. Good luck! :luck:

Wow! Those are great scores. You are more eager and more prepared than most students your age.

Most schools will take either an SAT or ACT but, do not require both. I would suggest taking both, seeing which you do better on and then taking the one you do better on a second time. ACT is more science and math based than the SAT but, both are equally challenging. It is common that people do significantly better on one than the other.

As for practicing, I would time yourself. That tends to throw people off in the testing. If you are used to being timed, it won't worry you as much when you are in the actual test. Don't stress too much and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish you luck in your goals! My advice would be to read books that you can get interested in or the roots of words for the vocabulary and the grammar sections.

Welcome to hSDN, you two. =D

YES, do time your practicing, particularly if you get antsy because it will allow you to develop strategies for dealing with that anxiety and performing well under a time limit. :thumbup: I also want to second signing up for College Board's SAT question of the day; just doing that little bit each day over a long period of time helped me significantly. Unless you are an absolute genius and get a 36 or 2400 your first time out, practicing really is the key to success on the ACT and SAT.

As far as prep materials, I am a fan of the Princeton Review personally. Use whatever floats your boat, though. Best of luck to you! :luck:

Yes, you must time them in order to gauge how well you are doing.

YES time them. This is not as important on the SAT, but will become critical for later post-college professional school exams like the MCAT, LSAT or GMAT (all of which I scored >95th percentile, so I know what I'm talking about). Often the material is not the hardest part of the test - it is learning to think quickly on your feet.

You MUST practice like you play - I cannot stress this enough. Take your practice tests under actual timed conditions, actual break times, etc. And practice, practice practice. You cannot take too many practice tests.

It depends. As you learn the material, time shouldn't be a problem.