SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Should I withdraw my acceptance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Yehosh, May 14, 2007.

  1. Yehosh

    Yehosh 2+ Year Member

    220
    0
    Feb 24, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi,

    I just got into SUNY UPSTATE NY from the waitlist. They called my phone last week and gave me a few days to think it over. After thinking it through, I accepted their offer this morning. The admissions officer informed me that letter will go out today.

    Now I have an acceptance to Albany Medical College and obviously I need to withdraw it. Should I wait until I have the written package from Upstate before I withdraw from Albany, or should I inform them right away of my decision?

    Not sure if I'm being overly paranoid here, but I don't want to withdraw from Albany and then have something go wrong with SUNY. All I have from them is a phone call at the moment.
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ltrain

    ltrain Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    730
    9
    Jul 9, 2004
    I'd call Upstate and explain that you need to withdraw from Albany by tomorrow to get your deposit back. Maybe they can fax you something in writing so you know your spot is secure.
     
  4. emaj1n

    emaj1n M1 2+ Year Member

    270
    2
    Oct 16, 2006
    Maybe ask for them to email a scanned copy of the letter or email you an acceptance notice. They should understand your request considering you'll be paying their bills.
     
  5. WildTumor

    WildTumor Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    309
    1
    Jul 4, 2006
    NYC
    :thumbup:
     
  6. Yehosh

    Yehosh 2+ Year Member

    220
    0
    Feb 24, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the advice :)
     
  7. kare69

    kare69 7+ Year Member

    11
    0
    Apr 11, 2007
    I also have a question , if you have accepted and matriculated into a school can you leave if you are accepted off a waitlist else where?
     
  8. 45408

    45408 aw buddy 7+ Year Member

    16,981
    36
    Jun 13, 2004
    Once you've matriculated, you're in. You can't start July 30th at UCLA and then switch to Harvard when you get off the waitlist August 5th. (hypotheticals)
     
  9. GuzzyRon

    GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man 10+ Year Member

    Ah! This same thing actually happened to me with two other schools. In my case, I simply waited until I received the acceptance package in the mail from the second school before I withdrew from the first. I figured them waiting one week for me to receive my letter wouldn't hurt them that much. :D
     
  10. postbacker

    postbacker Banned Banned

    1,208
    2
    Mar 27, 2007
    You don't really have an acceptance until you get it in writing, and you haven't really "accepted" it until you sign the form and mail it back, so I think you have some time and are under no obligation to rush your withdrawal (but asking the new school to expedite materials makes sense).
     

Share This Page