should I withdraw my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zachdwphoto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my scores back today. 22 :(

Otherwise I feel like I'm a very good applicant.
6 years as a scrub tech (assisting in surgery)
great LORs
Great shadowing
TA in biology and chemistry
3.7 GPA

Basically I have submitted my app and was wandering if I should even continue on or withdraw and try again later?? maybe take again in january?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aww poor luck man... that stinks. What was your score breakdown? How were your practice MCAT scores?

If I was you I would hold off until next cycle. You would be better off focusing on the MCAT and saving your money and hitting it hard another cycle with all of the resources you have, rather than spreading yourself thin with a weak app.

Is there any particular reason why you think you did so poorly? Do you need any help or suggestions? You can PM me if you want, I will do what I can.

I mean even with a 24+ or something I would say give it a go because the rest of your app is solid, but a 22 is a tough sell.

I honestly would not be able to comment on how a January MCAT would be perceived... Like I dont know if the schools would wait to consider you until then or would just reject you now... not sure.

Otherwise there is also podiatry which I think is an awesome field to go in to and you can get in with scores like that. Again feel free to PM if you would like more info on it. I worked for a large surgical podiatrist clinic for a while, its definitely an interesting field of medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in similar situation as you. I scored 22 on August 15 MCAT but haven't even submitted my primary's. My Gpa is pretty high 3.88cGPA and 3.84sGPA and so I might just apply to DO schools at this point. But in your case i would continue on with your application for some low tier schools... you never know what can happen.

P.S. what was your breakdown?
I took the aug 15 too.....I was convinced I did better than that :(

Members don't see this ad :)
my worry is....say I did get in somehow......will i be able to pass comlex?????

Last edited:
Aww poor luck man... that stinks. What was your score breakdown? How were your practice MCAT scores?

If I was you I would hold off until next cycle. You would be better off focusing on the MCAT and saving your money and hitting it hard another cycle with all of the resources you have, rather than spreading yourself thin with a weak app.

Is there any particular reason why you think you did so poorly? Do you need any help or suggestions? You can PM me if you want, I will do what I can.

I mean even with a 24+ or something I would say give it a go because the rest of your app is solid, but a 22 is a tough sell.

I honestly would not be able to comment on how a January MCAT would be perceived... Like I dont know if the schools would wait to consider you until then or would just reject you now... not sure.

Otherwise there is also podiatry which I think is an awesome field to go in to and you can get in with scores like that. Again feel free to PM if you would like more info on it. I worked for a large surgical podiatrist clinic for a while, its definitely an interesting field of medicine.
I definitely would like to talk to you!

What were you scoring on practice tests? And Don't worry i feel you. Last year I score 9/2/11. I don't know how I scored a firkin 2 since lowest I've ever soared was a 4 when i was half asleep. This time around I scored a 4 which is still lower than any of my practice tests and to make it worse an 8 in bill (I was averaging 11s near the end)....super pissed.
around 24 on practice tests....pretty variable though....22's, 25's, a 30...

What were you scoring on practice tests? And Don't worry i feel you. Last year I score 9/2/11. I don't know how I scored a firkin 2 since lowest I've ever soared was a 4 when i was half asleep. This time around I scored a 4 which is still lower than any of my practice tests and to make it worse an 8 in bill (I was averaging 11s near the end)....super pissed.
wow bro I feel bad for you.....that damn verbal.....

Sorry to hear that man :/ if you can retake and you feel confident with a retake by January (scoring 27+ consistently) then id say you have a figuring chance.

But I think your safest bet is to retake but not worry about applications this cycle dude. It's better to apply once with a strong app.

sorry again man and best of luck to you!

as has already been mentioned in this thread, you should seriously consider podiatry. You can still receive a doctorate of medicine, earn a 6 figure salary, and work with patients. Plus you can apply this cycle and join pod school in Fall 2015

Thanks for all your help guys....I really feel and appreciate your empathy and best wishes!! I'm kinda defeated.....being a doctor is my dream.....you can ask my students....my eyes light up when I talk about medicine. I need to sit down with my wife and family and see what the next step is. I will let you guys know. I might try and take the test in january. I'm considering podiatry and PA school as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your help guys....I really feel and appreciate your empathy and best wishes!! I'm kinda defeated.....being a doctor is my dream.....you can ask my students....my eyes light up when I talk about medicine. I need to sit down with my wife and family and see what the next step is. I will let you guys know. I might try and take the test in january. I'm considering podiatry and PA school as well

Also keep in mind that the DO cycle is longer than the MD cycle. I know that Goro, a DO adcom member, said that taking the test in November and even December is okay...so January can't be too bad. I suggest you sign up for a retake asap since test spots are being snatched up quickly.

So you have submitted your AACOMAS? Good, make sure that's verified before you take the MCAT in January. However only put in one school in your AACOMAS for now, I suggest Liberty since they accept lower mcat scores. You can submit your secondaries after taking the mcat (but submit all your secondaries by end of february 2015).

After you get your new test scores back in February, send your verified AACOMAS app to the following schools:

VCOM (all three campuses)
ACOM
William Carey
Campbell-COM
West Virginia-COM
Marian
Rocky Vista
Liberty
Touro-Nevada

Then immediately submit the secondaries as soon as you receive them.

As for your MCAT prep, find out why you are scoring so low. Take plenty of practice tests and go over your mistakes, make sure your test timing and pacing is good. Post in the MCAT forum for more detailed help with your individual queries.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you shadow a DO and get a DO LOR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Also keep in mind that the DO cycle is longer than the MD cycle. I know that Goro, a DO adcom member, said that taking the test in November and even December is okay...so January can't be too bad. I suggest you sign up for a retake asap since test spots are being snatched up quickly.

So you have submitted your AACOMAS? Good, make sure that's verified before you take the MCAT in January. However only put in one school in your AACOMAS for now, I suggest Liberty since they accept lower mcat scores. You can submit your secondaries after taking the mcat (but submit all your secondaries be end of february 2015).

After you get your new test scores back in January, send your verified AACOMAS app to the following schools:

VCOM (all three campuses)
ACOM
William Carey
Campbell-COM
West Virginia-COM
Marian
Rocky Vista
Liberty
Touro-Nevada

Then immediately submit the secondaries as soon as you receive it from them.

As for your MCAT prep, find out why you are scoring so low. Take plenty of practice tests and go over your mistakes, make sure your test timing and pacing is good. Post in the MCAT forum for more detailed help of your individual queries.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you shadow a DO and get a DO LOR.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

Another question......If I register for another mcat...(January) will DO schools hold off interviewing me until they have 2nd scores?

Another question......If I register for another mcat...(January) will DO schools hold off interviewing me until they have 2nd scores?

I would be wary of that. I know of several schools that will decide to reject or interview you even if you mentioned in the AACOMAS that you are scheduled for a retake. Nova and Campbell come to mind. Due to your MCAT score, there's a higher chance you will receive a rejection than a interview invite. I suggest you submit your AACOMAS with just one school (Liberty) for now. Although it's not ideal, I recommend you wait till you receive your new MCAT scores in February before sending your AACOMAS to the other schools. Since the AACOMAS would be verified by then (hence the need to submit now with 1 school), the turnaround time should be quick and you should be receiving secondaries in a matter of days.

I would be wary of that. I know of several schools that will decide to reject or interview you even if you mentioned in the AACOMAS that you are scheduled for a retake. Nova and Campbell come to mind. Due to your MCAT score, there's a higher chance you will receive a rejection than a interview invite. I suggest you submit your AACOMAS with just one school (Liberty) for now. Although it's not ideal, I recommend you wait till you receive your new MCAT scores in February before sending your AACOMAS to the other schools. Since the AACOMAS would be verified by then (hence the need to submit now with 1 school), the turnaround time should be quick and you should be receiving secondaries in a matter of days.
This is good advice. I'd follow this OP.

Based on past observations of underdogs with your numbers, I think your chances are favorable. FWIW, I followed 6 members with 22's (and GPA's ranging from 3.3-4.0) last year. ALL 6 got in somewhere, and not to just LUCOM.

Blast out applications to all the less selective schools (LUCOM, LMU, WVSOM, KYCOM, PNWU, WCU, ACOM, PCOM-GA, VCOM-Auburn, SOMA, COMP-NW) and I think you will get in somewhere. I am 100% serious.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in similar situation as you. I scored 22 on August 15 MCAT but haven't even submitted my primary's. My Gpa is pretty high 3.88cGPA and 3.84sGPA and so I might just apply to DO schools at this point. But in your case i would continue on with your application for some low tier schools... you never know what can happen.

P.S. what was your breakdown?
ditto my above post to you.

Based on past observations of underdogs with your numbers, I think your chances are favorable. FWIW, I followed 6 members with 22's (and GPA's ranging from 3.3-4.0) last year. ALL 6 got in somewhere, and not to just LUCOM.

Blast out applications to all the less selective schools (LUCOM, LMU, WVSOM, KYCOM, PNWU, WCU, ACOM, PCOM-GA, VCOM-Auburn, SOMA, COMP-NW) and I think you will get in somewhere. I am 100% serious.

Maybe you can combine mine and @user3 's suggestions. You can submit your AACOMAS with 4-8 new low tier DO schools now (Liberty-COM, VCOM (all 3 campuses), William Carey-COM, Rocky Vista COM, ACOM, WVSOM). Complete the secondaries for these schools as and when you receive them.

At the same time, sign up for a MCAT retake in January and when you receive your new MCAT scores in February, submit your AACOMAS to the more selective DO schools like CCOM, AZCOM, Touro Nevada, DMU, PCOM, LECOM etc. An added bonus is that any of the new low-tier schools you had applied to earlier might decide to give you an interview invite based on your new score if they hadn't yet made a decision on your app or if they had waitlisted you.

Some of these schools like WVSOM and LECOM for example require a DO LOR. Keep that in mind.

It's a more expensive option but totally worth it if it makes you get a single medical school acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 users

Great advice! I'm going to do this....might as well right

Hey @user3 is there an easy way to see who those 6 members were? I would like to contact them and ask them questions.

I looked at the 2013-2014 thread but was having a hard time looking for the ones that were accepted

Hey @user3 is there an easy way to see who those 6 members were? I would like to contact them and ask them questions.

I looked at the 2013-2014 thread but was having a hard time looking for the ones that were accepted
Here are the people I found with 22 or less from last year, that received at least 1 acceptance-

trippenlatin
thelonelyarab
temperature101
pineapplesareyummy
hvilledoc
indianarn
superjock
medsk00l
det_313_doc

I think I forgot to mention, but also try applying to Campbell.

Last edited:
Here are the people I found with 22 or less from last year, that received at least 1 acceptance-

trippenlatin
thelonelyarab
temperature101
pineapplesareyummy
hvilledoc
indianarn
superjock
medsk00l
det_313_doc

I think I forgot to mention, but also try applying to Campbell.
Thank you user3....this helps a lot!

I would probably retake. If you were at 24...then I would say go for it, but with a 22 you will likely be praying to be waitlisted. If you studied your butt off...I would would recommend changing the way you study. I would try to get in as a tutor to the basic sciences at your undergrad. Sometimes being a tutor forces you to learn the basic sciences from a different prospective. I don't know if I would dedicate the next six months to cramming more exam crackers and Kaplan into your head. Obviously that didn't work the first time round.

Good luck!

I know you must feel defeated right now, I felt the same thing when I scored a 25 on my MCAT when my practice exams were significantly higher. I wanted to retake but my confidence in myself was shot. Listen, you got a 6 on physics and verbal. If you honestly think you can do medical school, and you aren't lying about your GPA, take advice from this random stranger on the internet: RETAKE THE TEST SOONER THEN JAN. Scoring a 6 is quite low and I'd be willing to wager it was a fluke. Also, this is good news for you, the physical sciences section is the easiest section to improve, by a landslide. You must not have memorized all of the equations you needed to. Study more adequately and I guarantee your physical sciences score improves to an 8 minimum. You got a 10 on biological science, which is by far the most important section. You can get a higher score, don't give up that easily.