Should I write an LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highclass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any comments....I am sure of my top choice. I interviewed ther early Nov and the school said that I would hear before Jan 15th. Should I write a LOI now, or wait to get the decision. I told my interviewer that the school was my #1 choice and I state this in my secondary essay. Is it overkill to write a LOI now? I was thinking about a short letter saying that I have completed the interview process and I am still 100% sure that the school is my first choice? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait until you see what they do with you. I'm sure it would help if you're on the wait-list, but I'm not sure it would prevent a possible rejection.

i have to agree with rendar as well...

if you have stated the fact several times...then wait to see if they place you on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wait until Jan 19th or so before writing one.

I wrote an LOI to Cornell right after my interview. Some might consider that impetuous or whatever, but it felt right then and it still feels right now. Even if I got into UCSF and could stay in my rocking apartment downtown and not leave my friends and family, I'd still go to Cornell. Cornell (and NYC) blew my mind.

The only question is do I write ANOTHER LOI stating which top schools (if there are more besides UCSD) have accepted me before Cornell decides in March?

Originally posted by js2003
Hi,

From all the schools to which I applied to, I am really interested in about 3 of them. If I write a letter to these 3 schools stating that I'm really interested in your schools, would these letters fall under the "LOI" category, and, thus, should only be written to the school that is my top choice school? Or, is it okay to write to all these 3 schools stating I'm really interested in them...any advice? Thanks.

This is your 4th post of this SAME MESSAGE!! See my previous three responses!!

Originally posted by js2003
Hi,

From all the schools to which I applied to, I am really interested in about 3 of them. If I write a letter to these 3 schools stating that I'm really interested in your schools, would these letters fall under the "LOI" category, and, thus, should only be written to the school that is my top choice school? Or, is it okay to write to all these 3 schools stating I'm really interested in them...any advice? Thanks.

ill humor you....

so maybe instead of a letter of intent....

you are talking about a letter of interest....telling these 3 schools that you are very interested in them still...

a letter of intent on the other hand is only meant to be sent to your top choice basically binding yourself to the school if they were to accept you.