Should podiatry students call themselves medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Family-Guy.gif

Call yourself whatever you want. Physical therapy and occupational therapy students are saying stuff like this, so I just don't care anymore.

If it matters at all, I view podiatrists as equal to physicians, similar to how I view dentists, but I feel that it is disingenuous to call oneself a medical student for the same reason it would be disingenuous for a dentist to do so. It's not that you're less than, it's that you're different.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users

Call yourself whatever you want. Physical therapy and occupational therapy students are saying stuff like this, so I just don't care anymore.

If it matters at all, I view podiatrists as equal to physicians, similar to how I view dentists, but I feel that it is disingenuous to call oneself a medical student for the same reason it would be disingenuous for a dentist to do so. It's not that you're less than, it's that you're different.

I am so grateful dentists and podiatrists exist so that I don’t have to fix people’s teeth or care for their diabetic feet.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To me a med student is a D.O/M.D
A DPM candidate is a podiatry student
You'll be a doc at the end so yeah

I am so grateful dentists and podiatrists exist so that I don’t have to fix people’s teeth or care for their diabetic feet.
You would in a rural setting..?
The feet part, not teeth

Also there is an M.D/D.D.S in my town
Kind of cool

I think a D.O/DVM or M.D/DVM degree would be even nicer
There were a few M.D/DVM's around my area too

You would in a rural setting..?
The feet part, not teeth

Also there is an M.D/D.D.S in my town
Kind of cool

I think a D.O/DVM or M.D/DVM degree would be even nicer
There were a few M.D/DVM's around my area too

If I was in a rural setting with no podiatrist in town, then yes.

DPMs are physicians and they go to medical school.

Reactions: 5 users
Personally, I find that most of the people who are actual medical students (and I mean MD or DO) typically just say they are med students or that they go to school at [school name]. It seems to be the people in other fields who have to make a show of being in "medical school."

True — and their family members as well.

I’ve seen a few posts on social media from family members declaring how proud they are that their child/niece/whatever is a Med Student! (capitalized!) and going to be a Doctor! (surprised it’s not all in caps...), only to find out that the student is in PT school.

Reactions: 1 user
Should DO students call themselves "medical students"? Or should they be designated as "Osteopathic Medical Students" at all times?

AZPOD, DMU, and Western take the exact same courses with the same tests and do rotations with the DOs, replacing OMM for Podiatry specific courses (surgical in many cases). My philosophy has always been, at least at these integrated schools with DO and DPM students, if you consider DOs to be physicians, then by that same logic, DPMs are physicians too, albeit of the foot and ankle.

Now, the boards arent the same, but neither is the USMLE vs COMLEX. Is a DO who has taken the COMLEX a physician, or are only DOs who have taken the USMLE?

Edit: I also think that if Podiatry was available to MD/DO students, it would be medium competitive in the likes of general surgery, EM, or any non ROADs specialty. Surgery, non surgeon hours, great mix of primary care (diabetus), ortho (bunion and reconstructive surgery), amputations (gen surg), derm (fungus), and heavy procedures that can get people fixed up quick. Some people cant get over the "feet" part, but if you think about it, feet are just bigger hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I mean, at my school the podiatry students take all the same classes as us DO students, so they're just as much medical students as we are.

I mean, at my school the podiatry students take all the same classes as us DO students, so they're just as much medical students as we are.
Everyone can guess that the school is Western U :D

Members don't see this ad :)
At AZPOD, yes. The exception to this is instead of OMM, Pods take Podiatry specific class. The podiatry students take the same tests, sit in the same lecture hall, and are held to the same standard. They are literally right beside DO students during lecture and tests. In fact, it is more stressful because there is an emphasis on class GPA for residency placement.

So, if you consider DO students to be “medical students” then by the same logic podiatry students, at least at the 3 schools that take classes with the DOs, must be “medical students”. Unless you consider OMM to be critical in the development of being a physician.

For all of preclinical with the same exams and schedule?

At AZPOD, yes. The exception to this is instead of OMM, Pods take Podiatry specific class. The podiatry students take the same tests, sit in the same lecture hall, and are held to the same standard. They are literally right beside DO students during lecture and tests. In fact, it is more stressful because there is an emphasis on class GPA for residency placement.

So, if you consider DO students to be “medical students” then by the same logic podiatry students, at least at the 3 schools that take classes with the DOs, must be “medical students”. Unless you consider OMM to be critical in the development of being a physician.
I consider the clinical rotations, passing of boards and completion of the residency that comes with it to be important too...

Reactions: 2 users
I consider the clinical rotations, passing of boards and completion of the residency that comes with it to be important too...

Good point. Some smp students take classes alongside medical students, but we don’t consider them med students.

(Disclaimer: I actually don’t care what they call themselves.)

Reactions: 1 users
Podiatry students do clinical rotations, pass boards, and complete a 3-4 year residency. The residency (including off service rotations through internal medicine, emergency department, general surgery, vascular surgery, plastic surgery, anesthesiology, infectious disease, neurology, path/micro lab, radiology, pediatrics and more all alongside the MD and/or DO residents at that particular hospital/hospital system) is what separates podiatry from fields like dental, optometry, etc.

Enviado desde mi Pixel mediante Tapatalk

For all of preclinical with the same exams and schedule?
Yup, same exams at the same time and damn near same schedule. Obviously they don't take OMM, but they have their own classes on top of the same ones we share. Personally, I don't care either way, but if I'm going to call myself a medical student, I would feel uncomfortable not calling our pods the same. I will admit however, that most podiatry students at our school as a whole are weaker than our DO students--enough for it to be evident, anyhow.

Last edited:
Podiatry students do all those things as well?

Podiatry students do all those things as well?
There is a difference in their clinical rotations, and it is substantial at most schools. I would be quite surprised if they did all of their classes with you, as podiatry requires substantial study in the first two years in regard to lower extremity anatomy, pathology, and intervention that can't be covered in the amount of time OMM takes. Their residencies are also not held to the same standard as ACGME-accredited residencies. Finally, do they have the same scoring standards as the DO students?

Pod students take the usmle/comlex?

They take their own APMLE. Similar to the above
There is a difference in their clinical rotations, and it is substantial at most schools. I would be quite surprised if they did all of their classes with you, as podiatry requires substantial study in the first two years in regard to lower extremity anatomy, pathology, and intervention that can't be covered in the amount of time OMM takes. Their residencies are also not held to the same standard as ACGME-accredited residencies. Finally, do they have the same scoring standards as the DO students?

They are slowly getting to that last part as a large fraction of their surgical residency programs are run out of Ortho depts . But it will take time

Also, I don't see how residency has anything to do with whether someone is a medical student. Someone can go through MD school and never get a residency but they were still a medical student. So residency should really have no bearing anyway on whether a podiatry student is a medical student, I mean, logically.

Does it carry the same weight in getting a residency?
Only in that you have to pass the exam to get a residency. Podiatry is different in that our classes are graded and our board exams are pass/fail. So like someone said earlier in the thread, for DPMs and DOs taking the same classes it's usually a little more pressure for the DPMs since their grades matter.

So GPA and class rank are two of the big determinants for residency in podiatry.

Only in that you have to pass the exam to get a residency. Podiatry is different in that our classes are graded and our board exams are pass/fail. So like someone said earlier in the thread, for DPMs and DOs taking the same classes it's usually a little more pressure for the DPMs since their grades matter.

So GPA and class rank are two of the big determinants for residency in podiatry.

Not all med schools are pass/fail. Grading determines class rank, which factors into the match. Of course, board scores mean way more. Thanks for the info. Was just curious.

Pod students take the usmle/comlex?
Actually, there is a big push at our school to have the podiatry students take the USMLE.

Oh, and in my last statement the "?" was sarcastic, I wasn't actually asking, lol.

And yet, they do. I'd argue that in some ways the podiatry students at our school have it actually tougher than us DO students in that they do seem busier because of all the other classes they have to take. I'm not sure about the scoring standard to be honest with you, but I'd assume they do have a bit more leeway in that department, but I could be wrong, it might be the same standard. I know the students personally, and as a whole, their averages on exams tend to be a bit lower than our averages.

This is why it is important to have this discussion, a lot of doctors do now know the training of a DPM and the standard they are held to. DPMs, trained within the last ten years are NOT midlevel providers, yet are treated as such by medica students and other physicians (mainly Ortho). This statement was echoed in the attempt of the Foot and ankle Ortho guys to stop the VA from labeling Pods as “physicians”. Well, if everyone believes that DOs are physicians, then a Pod that trained side by side with one should be too.

Pods at many residencies rotate at the same specialties that MD/DOs do, under supervision of course, like any other resident. I know a pod who did their resdency at a DO hospital and actually learned OMT!

The good thing is, slowly pods are starting to inch their way into mainstream medicine. More and more hospitals are hiring pods at 200k+, where 5 years ago they didn’t entertain the idea.

Edit: I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 years, all pod schools made their students sit for the USMLE.

Pods at many residencies rotate at the same specialties that MD/DOs do, under supervision of course, like any other resident. I know a pod who did their resdency at a DO hospital and actually learned OMT!

The good thing is, slowly pods are starting to inch their way into mainstream medicine. More and more hospitals are hiring pods at 200k+, where 5 years ago they didn’t entertain the idea.

Edit: I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 years, all pod schools made their students sit for the USMLE.
Note that you keep saying "some." Curricula are highly variable by school, which leads to difficulties in generalizing podiatrist training

Note that you keep saying "some." Curricula are highly variable by school, which leads to difficulties in generalizing podiatrist training
You know curriculums at MD schools aren't standardized and are highly variable, right?

You know curriculums at MD schools aren't standardized and are highly variable, right?

They are all required to meet the same broad educational objectives in both preclinical and the clinical years. Podiatry schools have substantially lower requirements in regard to breadth of preclinical and clinical education.

They are all required to meet the same broad educational objectives in both preclinical and the clinical years. Podiatry schools have substantially lower requirements in regard to breadth of preclinical and clinical education.
The learning objectives and curriculum of each MD school is defined by the faculty of that school, per LCME. LCME gives almost no guidance whatsoever.

Are you saying that like the 6 pages covering curriculum in the LCME standards define the curricula of all medical schools? Did you read those sections?

Also 6.1 specifically says the faculty of each medical school defines the curriculum objectives, which is what I said earlier. So no there's not a central body defining those objectives and standardizing the curricula.

Last edited:
Are you saying that like the 6 pages covering curriculum in the LCME standards define the curricula of all medical schools? Did you read those sections?

Also 6.1 specifically says the faculty of each medical school defines the curriculum objectives. So no there's not a central body defining those objectives and standardizing the curricula.

They get to set the preclinical curriculum but there is mandatory content to be provided within that curriculum that covers the full breadth of preclinical medicine. What that constitutes ultimately comes down to LCME approval, but let's just say you're not going to get approval of a program that lacks any surgery months, IM months, peds, OB/Gyn, etc. Third year is pretty standardized due to the unwritten rules of the LCME.

You can flip that back to DOs as well. Some DO students do AOA residencies. Some only take COMLEX instead of USMLE.

You can flip that back to DOs as well. Some DO students do AOA residencies. Some only take COMLEX instead of USMLE.
This is why the merger is happening. There are groups that discriminate against those with AOA residencies due to differences in standards with the ACGME. Moving forward, all DOs will complete ACGME residencies from 2020 onward. As to the exams, they're really there to determine who gets into residency, and residency determines who becomes a physician that practices, so it's really a non-issue.

Freshman pre-med = M -4 medical student
Sophomore pre-med = M -3 medical student
Junior premed = M -2 medical student
Senior Premed = M-1 medical student
Accepted med student = M0

Congratulations, you all now have cancer.

Freshman pre-med = M -4 medical student
Sophomore pre-med = M -3 medical student
Junior premed = M -2 medical student
Senior Premed = M-1 medical student
Accepted med student = M0

Congratulations, you all now have cancer.

Based on your Avatar!!!

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 9.58.08 PM.png

You’re a med student in my eyes!

And even if you weren’t, at least you’re better than the people in the past who when I said that I’m in med school told me that their niece/nephew/cousin/best friend’s mom’s brother’s kid is in med school, too, when they really mean that they’re in training to be an MA.

But yeah, podiatry students are def med students!

With this logic does that mean dental students are med students? What about ODs? I’m just curious where the line gets drawn.

With this logic does that mean dental students are med students? What about ODs? I’m just curious where the line gets drawn.
Well the DMD students at my university don't learn anatomy below the abdomen and don't do rotations outside of dentistry in their clinical years.

Students at all podiatry schools learn and dissect full head to toe anatomy, along with physiology and pathology of all systems head to toe. Students at all podiatry schools also do rotations outside of podiatry in their clinical years.

So there's a big difference between dental school and medical school. I assume the situation is similar for optometry.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.