Should secondary essays be written in first or third person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find anything about it. Should the secondary essays be written in first or third person?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the prompt, I guess. But, first person seems far more appropriate for most secondaries I encountered.

You should be able to tell what to use based on the question.

For example:

Why do you want to be a doctor?

1. I want to...
2. You want to...
3. He wants to...

One of these is the correct choice.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find anything about it. Should the secondary essays be written in first or third person?

I wrote all of mine in the first person. You're writing about yourself, so anything else would seem pretty weird to write/read.

Members don't see this ad :)
For example this prompt:

What do you believe, as a medical student, would be the three most important characteristics of professionalism?

It seems like it could be written in either first or third person.

For example this prompt:

What do you believe, as a medical student, would be the three most important characteristics of professionalism?

I would definitely stick to 1st person!
They want to know what your opinion is, you are supposed to be saying "I think..." or "I feel..."

For example this prompt:

I know exactly which school has that prompt you're asking about! :) Definitely go with first person! (That's what I'm doing, at least)

Strongly recommend first person... the prompt is asking YOU to write about you. Answering in the third person would just come across as pretentious.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to imagine how an essay written in 3rd person would sound...

John wants to be a doctor. John has wanted to be a doctor since he was a wee lad. John has done lots of volunteering and he learned a lot about being a good person. Please accept John.

Don't be that guy.