shout out if you love your dental school!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicUD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SNDers! I'm just trying to see where the happiest Dental students are! I am applying next cycling and was trying to figure out what schools I would be interested in. The community aspect of the school is going to be a major part in my decision making!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
School sucks

Ha!! Happy Dental students???!?!?!? I don't know a single one.

wow no way! come on guys where is the optimism? You must have found some glimmer of happiness??

I'm happy to know that I'll be far far away from this place in a few short months.

I loved my undergrad. But dental school sucks the life out of you. It's just the way dental education is designed right now.

wow no way! come on guys where is the optimism? You must have found some glimmer of happiness??

umm... graduation day .... school is long, hard, busy, hectic, subjective, cumbersome, annoying, expensive, competitive, etc ...

enjoy your free time before you start. i mean, i've had some good times dont get me wrong ... but dschool owns you for 4 yrs.

Ha!! Happy Dental students???!?!?!? I don't know a single one.

Are you joking?

Overall this thread is interesting. There are a ton of happy dental students. I dont know why this doesnt get any activity, probably because most dental students are no longer on SDN and the ones that are are super bored. There are tons of happy dental students at every school.

Are you joking?

Overall this thread is interesting. There are a ton of happy dental students. I dont know why this doesnt get any activity, probably because most dental students are no longer on SDN and the ones that are are super bored. There are tons of happy dental students at every school.

I'm happy I'm in dental school as opposed to the alternative. I'm happy to be seeing/treating my patients and learning some really neat stuff that I happen to be good at. I'm happy I get to live in NYC while I'm in my 20's. I have a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, and had good times these past four years. But I do not ENJOY dental school. It is a very taxing four years and I think you would be very hard-pressed to find a dental student who isn't stressed to the max and stretched thin. It's not a good lifestyle in general even though you can make the best of it armed with a positive attitude.

Are you joking?

Thank you andrew324! If you don't mind me asking what school do you go to?

& thanks to Mackchops for your positive info as well:)

I'm happy I'm in dental school as opposed to the alternative. I'm happy to be seeing/treating my patients and learning some really neat stuff that I happen to be good at. I'm happy I get to live in NYC while I'm in my 20's. I have a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, and had good times these past four years. But I do not ENJOY dental school. It is a very taxing four years and I think you would be very hard-pressed to find a dental student who isn't stressed to the max and stretched thin. It's not a good lifestyle in general even though you can make the best of it armed with a positive attitude.

Seconded. :) I couldn't have put it better (though I still have a while before I graduate, sigh...).

Members don't see this ad :)

Happiness? Sleep. Getting laid. Snow days. Breaks between semesters.

In that order.

Dental school is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'd say I'm pretty happy at NOVA.

My class really tries to help each other out, and it makes it much less miserable.

I'm glad I went with my gut at my interview and chose this school.

School sucks. At least mine does. Sorry.

I don't know of a single person in my class who likes it. I don't know if it's only burnout. Speaking for myself only, I don't even look forward to graduation anymore.

For some clarification:
I am 14 months away from graduation. I can't speak for everyone, but most people in my class were bright eyed and not jaded in first year.

Last edited:
Howard University College of Dentistry stand up

disclaimer: I am a pretty positive person so I would probably like whatever i am doing, isnt that the point.

I go to columbia and i would say i am having a good experience. Its not undergrad where you have more time then you know what to do with and you get to hang out with your friends all the time. However, it is rewarding. The amount of info you cover and the distance you progress give you a real sense of accomplishment and its also nice like learning stuff thats going to be relevant. Its a challenge but when you rise to it there is a feeling of accomplishment that makes it worth while.

As mentioned above, I also enjoy being in my early 20s and being in NYC. NY gives you a great opportunity to escape and has provided me with lots of good memmories to balance out the endless hours of studying. I also like my classmates a lot.

If your a positive person and approach school with a good attitude, d school doesnt have to be the worst four years of your life. Get you work done, learn some cool stuff, and get that much closer to being a dentist. Dont let d school beat you down and waste four years of your young life.

i loved USC before i went there, hated it while i was there, and now can love it again now that i'm finished!

All in all dental school is not as hard as most people on these boards make it out to be. I like my school as much as one can like a dental school: it is professional school no matter how you look at it.

For me personally, I wish I could transplant my school into miles of rolling hills and open forest but that wouldn't be very good for the patient pool. But I am jaded cause I come from a small college town and I am married and I have a kid. But many of my classmates are very happy with NYC.

Bottom line: dental school is not that hard. You can still have fun (i.e. a life) if you manage your time well.

Also, if you have a choice in the matter (i.e. get into more than one school) go to the school where you think you will enjoy living the most and/or save the most money because at the end of the four years you will still end up with a dental degree and you can specialize from anywhere if you really want it that much.

I'm enjoying my dental education so far. I think it's like anything else in life, there are aspects that drive you insane and aspects that remind you why you worked so hard to get there. Perfect example: I'm sick to death of plastic teeth and can't wait for July when I can start treating patients.

Call me crazy, but I'm really enjoying dental school. The bond you get with your classmates is priceless and it's a lot of fun to finally be learning about dentistry! For me, it's less stressful than undergrad because I pushed myself SOOO hard in undergrad (probably unnecessarily) to try to make perfect grades. Now, I just try not to get C's, get A's when I can, and get decent rest. It's all about your daily attitude and staying ahead of the game. Very few people in the world will ever have the opportunity that my classmates and I have, and keeping that in mind is a humbling reminder each day. There are thousands of people that would gladly trade you places, so for me, being happy is pretty easy :)

Call me crazy, but I'm really enjoying dental school. The bond you get with your classmates is priceless and it's a lot of fun to finally be learning about dentistry! For me, it's less stressful than undergrad because I pushed myself SOOO hard in undergrad (probably unnecessarily) to try to make perfect grades. Now, I just try not to get C's, get A's when I can, and get decent rest. It's all about your daily attitude and staying ahead of the game. Very few people in the world will ever have the opportunity that my classmates and I have, and keeping that in mind is a humbling reminder each day. There are thousands of people that would gladly trade you places, so for me, being happy is pretty easy :)

this thought will help me get through the rough times :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Thank you for your post...I really appreciate your positive attitude! This is exactly what I hope my experience in dental school will be like. A lot of the "dental school sucks" posts on here are really discouraging so it's nice to read posts like this one. I'm so excited to start and I know it will be tough at times, but I am so grateful to have this opportunity and it's nice to see that other people view it that way as well!

I can't wait to finally quit my dead-end job and leave this cubicle behind. I think even the worst dental school on earth will be better than this. Good to see that some people manage to have a decent life outside of school!

Well said and good to hear...