Side-hustles - what's yours and how do you make it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone got in on CNET?
When i saw your post it was 4.5 so i was like too late again then i check it now and it's @6.2 :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tried to get in around low 4’s. Never came down enough. Should have gotten in the high 4’s!
I need to learn to be more patient. 2
Months ago I had 5000 shares of MARA at $4 in my Roth account. I sold at $11. It was almost $50 today.

Months ago I had 5000 shares of MARA at $4 in my Roth account. I sold at $11. It was almost $50 today.

I am sure you did just fine.... you probably used that capital to do something even more fun !

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Jello...do people really post stock picks on tweeter? I wouldn’t trust anyone with a stock suggestion- I need to do the research myself. But even if you do, by the time someone enters a stock on Twitter, it’s probably to late. Just today, I was watching 2 stocks, by the time i came back from the restroom, they were beyond my entry point. Again, thanks and let me know if I can help in anyway.
yes there are quite a few and of course everyone should always do their own DD.
I don't day trade so copying you would gaurantee failure for me, but still, very impressed. cheers and good luck!

same. i entered ARBKF at 1.3, got impatient for a week, sold around 1.3 and now it's at 4.63
also as well as AABB at .02, got impatient for a week, sold at .02, and now at 0.3

can't go broke taking profits though

For every time I took profits early, I have held on too long a different time.

I am always happier to say “I wish I would have put more in” than to get greedy and lose out.

It is interesting looking at my emotions with stock picking. I will get super into my play account and care a lot about gains and losses, where in a day I may swing 10k at the most. Often I get all annoyed at my lack of skills, or pumped about how great a stock picker I am, only to look to the top of my account page and see that my overall portfolio went 10x as far in the opposite direction.

Somehow I never get the same amount of bothered by swings in my boring index funds, even when the value dropped a couple years salary worth in March last year. That was just a “sweet sale price”

Basically, that is how I know that I do not have the temperament for “day trading” and also only can handle long bets.

Reactions: 3 users
You are going to think I am pulling your leg, but these are my over overnighters from my small robinhood account. Let’s see how it goes.
While I was green overall on these stocks, all 3 stocks failed as they didn’t gap overnight.

Thoughts from this morning-

-Made a few thousand trading VCNX premarket from $4s to $6s.
-I was locked and loaded with 10k shares, Got distracted for a few seconds, and missed my $6.50 VCXN entry.
-waited and entered at $7.10 with a smaller amount for a rip to $9. Took my profits at $9.10.
-Went in heavy fora push to $10 and lost my gains plus some.

-While I nailed my research and my initial entry and exist points, I failed in a number of different ways.
I had too many distractions with my kids this morning. I didn’t use share size properly- although this is my next evolution as a day trader, I might not be ready. I need to be more consistent.

Slow week, but I still managed to be green $37k. Again, loosing is part of the game and sometimes your research or entry points are wrong, you take the loss and you move on. Today’s loss feels like a punch to the gut because i knew why I was doing was wrong and still did it.

My other stock that I was watching went down the wayside.
Done for today.

ps My ideal scenario would have been, and how most days plays out, that I am in by my entry point $6.50 with 10k shares, out by my exit point of $8.00 for a quick $15k. Then wait for a pull back and enter with a smaller size, if all indicators dictate a higher push. Done by 8-8:30 am my time.

Attachments

• 825A4097-A0DA-4039-ADC7-6114442E0FF6.jpeg
    825A4097-A0DA-4039-ADC7-6114442E0FF6.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thoughts from this morning-

-Made a few thousand trading VCNX premarket from $4s to $6s.
-I was locked and loaded with 10k shares, Got distracted for a few seconds, and missed my $6.50 VCXN entry.
-waited and entered with a smaller amount for a rip to $9. Took my profits at $9.10.
-Went in heavy fora push to $10 and lost my gains plus some.

-While I nailed my research and my initial entry and exist points, I failed in a number of different ways.
I had too many distractions with my kids this morning. I didn’t use share size properly- although this is my next evolution as a day trader, I might not be ready. I need to be more consistent.

Slow week, but I still managed to be green $37k. Again, loosing is part of the game and sometimes your research or entry points are wrong, you take the loss and you move on. Today’s loss feels like a punch to the gut because i knew why I was doing was wrong and still did it.

My other stock that I was watching went down the wayside.
Done for today.

I’m enjoying your posts documenting your success. Congrats on doing well! I’m always curious where you get your research? Do you scour CNBC at night or something? Whenever I see the stocks you’re picking and the associated articles they’re always released morning of trading, after market open, so I’m definitely missing out.

Losing is one O. Don’t mean to be petty. You’re definitely not losing out on very much with your trades. Well done!!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m enjoying your posts documenting your success. Congrats on doing well! I’m always curious where you get your research? Do you scour CNBC at night or something? Whenever I see the stocks you’re picking and the associated articles they’re always released morning of trading, after market open, so I’m definitely missing out.

Losing is one O. Don’t mean to be petty. You’re definitely not losing out on very much with your trades. Well done!!
VCNX news came out at 6am eastern, 4am my time. For day trading, my morning routine is looking for pre-market gappers that have news catalyst, with the stock moving up. Ideally, you want the stock to start dipping before the market starts, after is ok too, and wait for your entry point.

For swings, I’ll do my research at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully not, 56B$ market cap when you haven't produced a single car is a bit strange
Did you get on the SYPR ride?

Hopefully not, 56B$ market cap when you haven't produced a single car is a bit strange
Did you get on the SYPR ride?
Re-CCIV: I was PMing with another member here and mentioned CCIV. I been long since 11s. It forced me to go back and revisit their fundamentals and indeed saw the inflated market cap. I sold at~ $57. Not touching it until $20.

i just saw SYPR. It was not even on my radar. Great move.

not much trading for me this week.back from a long Vacation and appts all week. I finally cashed in with sava- in since $19s, out at $69 and $54. I also sold my weekly 100 $5 AMC contracts at $8.30 this morning. Taking the rest of the week off while off-loading some longs and doing some research.

Congrats on SYPR.

I bought ENG at $3.75 for a swing to $6.00. Modular hydrogen. News coming down the pipeline will bring back in o $6+. We”ll see next week. Weekly swing

Last edited:
Tough week- I was down $13K by EOD wed. Ending week +$17k. I’ll take it.

Just an fyi for you guys. 99% of ppl like you lose their minds or go broke or both. But im sure that won't happen to ye

Just an fyi for you guys. 99% of ppl like you lose their minds or go broke or both. But im sure that won't happen to ye
I already bagged over $1 mil in under 10 months- took $600k out to fund a real estate project. I’ll let the chips fall where they fall.

FYI-some people like you are ok investing their ENTIRE career at 8%, to retire with 1 mil at 70. But I am sure that won’t be ye.

by the way, I am neurologist earning $600k a year. Even if the market tanks.....I’ll be ok.

I already bagged over $1 mil in under 10 months- took $600k out to fund a real estate project. I’ll let the chips fall where they fall.

FYI-some people like you are ok investing their ENTIRE career at 8%, to retire with 1 mil at 70. But I am sure that won’t be ye.

by the way, I am neurologist earning $600k a year. Even if the market tanks.....I’ll be ok.

Retire at 70 with 1 mil in the bank.... are you crazy? Or is that after like 5 divorces? Lol.

I exceeded that in less than 2 years in PP and after paying off 600k in loans- 10+ years ago. You have to really f it up if you have that net worth at 70. I’ll likely check out in a few years and I’m in my mid 40’s. Work hard invest early and wisely. It isn’t rocket science. 😂😂

Reactions: 6 users

8% should yield $5-10mil for most doctors.

Reactions: 5 users

Investing $80,000 a year (which is not that much) at an 8% return rate will get you $9,000,0000 in 30 years

That's not bad

Retire at 70 with 1 mil in the bank.... are you crazy? Or is that after like 5 divorces? Lol.

I exceeded that in less than 2 years in PP and after paying off 600k in loans- 10+ years ago. You have to really f it up if you have that net worth at 70. I’ll likely check out in a few years and I’m in my mid 40’s. Work hard invest early and wisely. It isn’t rocket science. 😂😂
Not everyone has a two Physcian income of 700k each with no children.
Some of us make it on a “mere” 400K one income. Good thing I am cheap and don’t need 10 mil. Just like 3-4 will do.

Reactions: 5 users
It isn’t rocket science. 😂😂
Some people in this forum really think it is rocket science.

I am fairly young, own 5 rental properties, 3 personal properties, 2 businesses and earn ~$600k yr working around 110 days doing locum work (could make more but my young children are my priority at this point in my life). I did this with hard work and taking risk.

I am a few years out of from replacing my former salary and thus, potentially checking out.....but won’t. I’ll practice medicine went I want and I’ll continue publishing at my own pace. I love the work I do.
Most docs work a lifetime to retire at 70 and get dementia at 71 ( it happen to my father, although not a physician). I work hard and live free, take vacations every other weekend and take risks, and reap the rewards. Some people here can’t stand this.

if I see GME at at $70 pushing upwards, you better believe I will buying 1000 shares for a push to $90-$110. 😝.

Some of us make it on a “mere” 400K one income. Good thing I am cheap and don’t need 10 mil. Just like 3-4 will do.
Not everyone works their a$$ off in bfe.
Not everyone “chooses” to not have kids.
Not everyone has the discipline to live under their means and invest early and heavily.
There is a lot of “not everyone”.
It all comes down to personal choices and sacrifices.
It isn’t a gravy train. Never has been.
It’s always been hard f’n work.
But over a combined 25+ year career your early efforts and sacrifices are bound to have success.

Reactions: 2 users
Ye today

Attachments

• 59951021-F1EC-4C25-B2A5-93EEF5188BBB.jpeg
    59951021-F1EC-4C25-B2A5-93EEF5188BBB.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 115

I am fairly young, own 5 rental properties, 3 personal properties, 2 businesses and earn ~$600k yr working around 110 days doing locum work (could make more but my young children are my priority at this point in my life). I did this with hard work and taking risk.

I am a few years out of from replacing my former salary and thus, potentially checking out.....but won’t. I’ll practice medicine went I want and I’ll continue publishing at my own pace. I love the work I do.
Most docs work a lifetime to retire at 70 and get dementia at 71 ( it happen to my father, although not a physician). I work hard and live free, take vacations every other weekend and take risks, and reap the rewards. Some people here can’t stand this.

if I see GME at at $70 pushing upwards, you better believe I will buying 1000 shares for a push to $90-$110. 😝.
Seriously, at one point you were cool. Now you seem to have grown a little too much ego for some of us. Your ego is growing out of your head.
Yea, you are rich, yeah you know how to gamble the stock market and made a million last year, yea you make 600k a year, yada, yada, yada.
Seriously, try some humility. You are doing too much.
You are a rich biatch. We get it. Now please spare us yet another chance to watch you brag.
Good God, money sure does seem to turn some people.

Last edited:
$400k is a lot of money and if you are truly happy with this amount, there is nothing wrong with that.
I never have and never will be about the money. My story is well documented in the neurology forum of why I chose the locum life and essentially making medicine a business.
you do you, take care of your family as this is what really matters. Everything else is just noise.

$400k is a lot of money and if you are truly happy with this amount, there is nothing wrong with that.
I never have and never will be about the money. My story is well documented in the neurology forum of why I chose the locum life and essentially making medicine a business.
you do you, take care of your family as this is what really matters. Everything else is just noise.
Hahaha. Cuz you sure seem to be all about money these days.
Go back and read your posts!

Seriously, at one point you were cool. Now you seem to have grown a little too ego much for some of us. Your ego is growing out of your head.
Yea, you are rich, yeah you know how to gamble the stock market and made a million last year, yea you make 600k a year, yada, yada, yada.
Seriously, try some humility. You are doing too much.
You are a rich biatch. We get it. Now please spare us yet another chance to watch you brag.
Good God, money sure does seem to turn some people.
I am sorry you feel that way about me, but you got it all wrong buddy. Nevertheless, all the best

Hahaha. Cuz you sure seem to be all about money these days.
Go back and read your posts!
I was responding to the other doc who was making fun of what I said. Anyways, feel free to block me.

Not making fun of you if you are referring to me. I think that your success is 100% awesome... and thanks for contributing to the thread. I have a partner absolutely killing it in the market with options trading- lots of study goes into it. Doesn’t just fall in your lap if you are investing 200k at a time.

Just not for me.

I have always been a slow and steady buy big dips kind of guy/rebalance/dollar coat average.... Diversifying as I go.

My rentals have been awesome and my investment hotels look promising.

Here is our newest build being erected over the last month or so.
Exciting if it all works out.

Last edited:
Not making fun of you if you are referring to me. I think that your success is 100% awesome... and thanks for contributing to the thread. I have a partner absolutely killing it in the market with options trading- lots of study goes into it. Doesn’t just fall in your lap if you are investing 200k at a time.

Just not for me.

I have always been a slow and steady buy big dips kind of guy/rebalance/dollar coat average.... Diversifying as I go.

how do you find these opportunities to invest in hotels? etc

Just not for me.

Thanks much-
Dip buying was the name of this week. But my holding period is max 2 weeks.
Before stocks, real estate was my investing strategy. all of my properties are luxury and are ~20% cash on cash return (2 attorneys, 1 ceo etc). My main is goal is to have these rentals replace my previous salary Currently, I am putting down $600k of the money I earned through stocks and building 2 4 plex. Just waiting on the permits.
A cardiologist friend of mine just invited me to his group for a $5M appt take over syndication.....it’s longer term....I’ll do a little bit more DD before I commit.
Good luck, and I am happy to hear that I am not the only one investing in RE and stocks. Would love to make the appt leap.
cheers

Hey guys I started a site that sells books but now we sell everything and also do some server stuff and now I’m worth 200 billion dollars anyone can do it it’s not rocket science but if you’re not interested in being worth 200 billion dollars then you just do you k thx

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Hey guys I started a site that sells books but now we sell everything and also do some server stuff and now I’m worth 200 billion dollars anyone can do it it’s not rocket science but if you’re not interested in being worth 200 billion dollars then you just do you k thx
Stop bragging Jeff.

• Haha

While I am not calling BS on everything you post here, I find the claim of working 110 days a year and making 600K as a neurologist dubious at best. There are large swaths of this country where you can’t make 600k as an orthopod working 300 days a year. I know you can work in BFN like Sevo and make a killing but the rates for locums work and salaries in these areas are not as lucrative as they once were.

Clearly, the culture here in the anesthesia forum is cut-troath. I have never had my character questioned, especially among colleagues I stand by every statement I’ve made here.

I feel there is underlying issues here-
1. Some people can’t stand that a female, mother, physician is succeeding in the market and in real estate while they sit back sucking theirs thumb waiting for an opportunity.
2. Jealous

At any rate, checking out.

While I am not calling BS on everything you post here, I find the claim of working 110 days a year and making 600K as a neurologist dubious at best. There are large swaths of this country where you can’t make 600k as an orthopod working 300 days a year. I know you can work in BFN like Sevo and make a killing but the rates for locums work and salaries in these areas are not as lucrative as they once were.
.....PMing you a copy of my 1099s instead ...

Attached is 1/3 of my 1099s
I started doing this since 2016.
- I contract directly with the hospital
- I am on 24/7
- I’ll start an inpatient service from scratch or a tele-neuro program.
I negotiate a $3k-5$ monthly travel stipend.

I don’t know why people would come here and lie about their work schedule, lifestyle or anything for that matter?

would posting my time sheet make you better and believe everything I say? I doubt it.