silence since aug - september

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cewlgrrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't hear anything from OOS schools since I was complete. At this point, am I assumed to be on "hold" or whats the deal?
I want to send an update letter but currently, I am looking for a new job. Im plan on leaving my current one at the hospital district and becoming a waitress. Not something that really seems worthwhile for an update letter right?
so what should I do to try and get some response?

Members don't see this ad.

any opinions or anyone with the same situation?

There are many people that haven't heard a thing from their schools. Just have to wait and be patient. As the end of the interview season in the spring draws to a close, then might be the right time for action. But for now, take that nervous energy and frustration and put it to good use - either channel it into work or preparing for interviews (so you're not panicking that you haven't prepared once you get one).

Members don't see this ad :)
An update letter is great if you have something substantive to report. Otherwise, I don't think there is too much you can do other than contact the schools and inquire about the status of your application (usually you won't get much response other than "your application is complete and under review".) Like you, I have not heard from a number of schools since being complete in Aug/Sept. Obviously this is not great since most of the time the schools will contact their most attractive applicants within a few months. However, it is not a bad thing either because at least you have not gotten rejections from them. Keep the faith and hang in there. The next few months (through March) should bring some closure one way or another for most schools. :luck:

thanks for the replies.
i know i keep telling myself that its still early but I can't help being nervous esp since many og the Aug. MCAT ppl are hearing back.

There are many people that haven't heard a thing from their schools. Just have to wait and be patient. As the end of the interview season in the spring draws to a close, then might be the right time for action. But for now, take that nervous energy and frustration and put it to good use - either channel it into work or preparing for interviews (so you're not panicking that you haven't prepared once you get one).

I see this advice a lot, but i'm not really convinced that there is all that much preparation that is needed. One just has to be familiar with the school and its good/bad points (which does not take very much time, a few days at most), one's own record (which is easy enough), and general health care/ethics issues that could be brought up (just read some news articles,books, and browse related pages on the net in spare time). Otherwise, the interview is really just about being yourself and getting across why medicine is a good career for you (and this should have already been thought about long before). The best thing to do to prepare for an interview is just to relax.

It is completely natural to be nervous about the larger application process and perceived prospects for success. SDN exists in part for people to share their progress (or lack there of) and find out information about others. I find it very helpfull to know that there are so many others out there going through the same anxiety that I have and who are sharing a similar application experience so far.

I haven't hear anything from OOS schools since I was complete. At this point, am I assumed to be on "hold" or whats the deal?
I want to send an update letter but currently, I am looking for a new job. Im plan on leaving my current one at the hospital district and becoming a waitress. Not something that really seems worthwhile for an update letter right?
so what should I do to try and get some response?

...i think soon they will be looking at April MCATers (or ppl who applied early) who were placed initally at hold. I think this will happen in Jan. You gotta send out a letter of interest so they get it BY then. because you know if you sent it now, by the time they add it to your file it will be JAN.

again though, sending LOI for sake of sending is probably not worth it. You need to add something that will get their attention.