Simple question about dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just wanted some advice on those of you who've pursued dentistry and are practicing.

Currently I am deciding between dental school and optometry school. I have an optometry acceptance but am having doubts regarding the profession because everytime I pass a Cohen's Optical Shop I become fearful that that may be the circumstance of my fate.

I have shadowed and done my homework in both fields, but it has been difficult for me to come to a conclusion. I enjoy learning about dentistry and the teeth, but I believe that what you learn in school is different from what occurs in the day to day nature of the job. I worry a lot about the physical nature of dentistry. From my hands on from missions work ( i did some injections and cleaning) I seriously thought I was 23 going on 50. I think at the same time the perks of the job such as prestige and the compensation are very attractive to me, but I don' t know if those are good enough reasons to pursue a career. I definitely enjoy comforting people in times of stress (one of my greatest passions in life alone) but I just wanted some advice from any of you guys?

Is there anyone who can speak into this matter intelligently (leaving heavy emotion aside) ? I definitely appreciate it. thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I think one big difference between dentistry and optometry is that dentistry has not been corporatized. Most dentist are self employed or employed by a small local business. I don't believe that optometry is that way any more. If autonomy is important to you and you want to run/own a small business dentistry may be a better choice for you.

The ability to have autonomy is important to me. However, I would want to work as an associate in CA (I'm not sure how much they get paid).

Honestly the most important thing to me, is to have a good career where I can work part time to take care of family (if I have kids) . That's what I ideally want, and not necessarily be married to my practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
lastly, does anyone have advice regarding this situation?

Despite going on missions trips to China and doing some work there, I found that there were times I really hated it, meaning my back really hurt and I felt eye strain. I don't know if missions work is actually indicative of the day to day work in dentistry - i mean i know not having chairs and normal lights are normal. But does anyone know what I mean? Any thoughts?

I get what you mean. I can tell you proper ergonomics is everything, but it is quite hard to develop (I'm still not there). Even just studying for so many hours/day has somewhat put a strain in my neck. That + working with someone in the chair, ouch.

in my opinion, both professionals are great but i chose to pursue dentistry because i want to spend my time for more than just work

my dad became a pastor few years ago (who used to be in army for over 25 years) and i grew up partying and doing things that i should not have done. but after i realized that life without purpose is pointless, i began to pursue a career where i can have my life but really be able to reach out to others and my father had really strong impression on me

my reason for pursuing dentistry is that i can set my own time (once i open up my private practice) and spend the rest of my life with either family or doing things for others that i feel is the purpose of my life.
also i don't want to work on sundays (bc im a christian) and being able to work from M-Thursday and maybe coach my kids soccer team or hang out with younger kids who are going through similar situations as i did when i was growing up is one of my biggest motivation to pursue this career

i honestly do not know too much about optometry but if you think whichever profession will fit your ideal goal, you should go for it without doubting it. im pretty sure you will not go through much of financial issues with both professions and since you are already admitted to optometry schools, just make sure to know that you'll be making a right decision if you decide to make that change

btw, you might want to do some research and try to see how the profession is going to be in next 10-15 years (such as many articles talking about how MDs are going through tough times nowadays)