Since when did denying early control refills become a customer service issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's like it's on par with someone saying our wait was too long. Have you ever had a patient try to override you by going to corporate or to the store manager after you refuse to fill early? I have seen this happen a couple of times so far and corporate ended up telling the pharmacist to dispense the script early anyway. I would love to tell these patients that the answer was no and if they refused to leave I would be calling the cops. I just don't have the guts to do it though since I know then it would be an even bigger issue with corporate and my name would be on their list.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's an issue that would warrant calling the cops (what would they really do?), but unfortunately it sounds like one of the control issues that you have to deal with when working for a major chain. If they corporate says do it, you either do it or face consequences, and probably still have to do it anyways, or they'll have someone else do it. There's no win that comes out of the situation, unless your corporate heads are reasonable and side with you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=726552

Similar situation, at least in terms of the corporate issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sure hope you are not in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania Code:

§ 27.18. Standards of practice.

(t) A pharmacist may only renew a prescription at a reasonable time prior to the time when the contents of the prescription shall be consumed according to prescriber’s directions.

So unless, you are making people wait 30 days for a 30 day supply, that would be illegal in PA and your superiors informed of same. What do your state regs say?

In SC, we can refill a control one time 2 days early.....after that it is illegal.

I will not do it more than once. If corporate calls, I tell them to talk to our local DEA guy......and let him tell me it is ok or use or get their own license.

Like Old Timer said. Where I practice, controls can't be filled early - your best defence is to be thoroughly familiar with the laws in your state, and tell corporate, and tell the patient.

When the law is on your side, there's no need to get all defensive, threatening to call the cops and stuff. You tell the patient no; you can't refill before such-and-such a date, and your hands are tied; there's absolutely nothing you can do, and if the patient is still suffering with pain, they should return to their primary care provider to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on. You put it in terms of caring about the pt, wanting what's best for them, blah blah.

Threatening to call the cops is escalating the confrontation. I like to err on the side of defusing rather than escalating confrontations - it looks so much more professional, it's better for your blood pressure in the long run, and you feel better about yourself at the end of the day.

Winning a pi$$ing contest doesn't mean it's anything better than a pi$$ing contest.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never had any issue with this. The closest I got was someone went to complain to the manager that I refused to give them their meds. The manager (who is cool) came back to get the story. I said it was a CS and xx days early. He turned to the lady and said "I'm sorry, the pharmacist said it's xx days early, you can come back then and get it". Luckily I've always had semi-cool managers.

But this one time I did refuse to sell PSE to a cop becasue the computer said it was too early (like whatever in 15 days). He threw a hissy fit and the manger took it upfront and did the sale.

It's like it's on par with someone saying our wait was too long. Have you ever had a patient try to override you by going to corporate or to the store manager after you refuse to fill early? I have seen this happen a couple of times so far and corporate ended up telling the pharmacist to dispense the script early anyway. I would love to tell these patients that the answer was no and if they refused to leave I would be calling the cops. I just don't have the guts to do it though since I know then it would be an even bigger issue with corporate and my name would be on their list.

Store goal: To maximize profits
Pharmacist goal: To maximize therapeutic outcomes

Note how they are not the same... Herein lies the issue. Remind the manager or whomever that they will lose money when fined - This is an effective way of dealing with any manager (dollar signs).

Reactions: 1 user

I have never seen it happen... and if it did, foward it to your board of pharmacy. Corporate have a huge understanding of the consequences of breaking the law and bend over backwards to not do so. That is why they usually have a "pharmacy supervisor" in field management in addition to a "district manager".