Since when does med school= nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol none of my residents wear it so I stopped for a while but started again because it was cold in the hospital
This is one reason I like psych because no one wears white coats.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol none of my residents wear it so I stopped for a while but started again because it was cold in the hospital

I always get cold(little body fat!), so I either have a hoodie or a light jacket over a dress shirt.

Last edited:
I always get cold(little body fat!), so I either have a hoodie or a light jacket under a dress shirt.

Over? I can't picture how that looks under.

@tdram said it might be nice if everyone had different uniforms. We've tried that at our hospital. Everyone was supposed to wear different colors to denote their roles. But some people really hated the color they were supposed to wear or really liked another color more. The highest status people, physicians and some nurses, rebelled first, and it trickled down pretty quickly. Now, we have a lot of scrub colors running around, but they are all meaningless.

At other hospitals nearby, they have begun to require that everyone wear specially embroidered scrubs with name and role written on your left upper chest. Of course, employees have to buy these out of pocket from a single hospital approved vendor and they aren't cheap, so it is another really unpopular policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Over? I can't picture how that looks under.

@tdram said it might be nice if everyone had different uniforms. We've tried that at our hospital. Everyone was supposed to wear different colors to denote their roles. But some people really hated the color they were supposed to wear or really liked another color more. The highest status people, physicians and some nurses, rebelled first, and it trickled down pretty quickly. Now, we have a lot of scrub colors running around, but they are all meaningless.

At other hospitals nearby, they have begun to require that everyone wear specially embroidered scrubs with name and role written on your left upper chest. Of course, employees have to buy these out of pocket from a single hospital approved vendor and they aren't cheap, so it is another really unpopular policy.

Oops I meant over.........

Lol people love not taking a joke on this site.

For those of you who are a bit slower.....no I do not intend to cut anyones white coat, and no it doesn't bother me that nurses wear white coats.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol people love not taking a joke on this site.
For those of you who are a bit slower.....no I do not intend to cut anyones white coat, and no it doesn't bother me that nurses wear white coats.

I love joking about assaulting other professionals because of my own insecurities. That is comedy gold, right there.

I love joking about assaulting other professionals because of my own insecurities. That is comedy gold, right there.

Pull the stick out of your ass before you try communicating next time, it's so far up there it's muffling your words.

Reactions: 1 users

Hemming up a long coat is assault?

Just breathe partner. Nobody is going to be assaulting anyone.

And I love seeing the beautiful attendings all glammed up in the hospitals as well. Please beautiful women of medicine, don't change :(
Maybe you shouldn't be concentrating so much on their looks.. What are they pieces of meat??!

Maybe you shouldn't be concentrating so much on their looks.. What are they pieces of meat??!

Maybe you should calm down over there champ and stop making assumptions. If she's putting so much effort into looking good it'd be almost criminal for not to appreciate it in a respectful way. Obviously I'm not making cat calls or anything at attendings that could rip my head off.

Maybe you should calm down over there champ and stop making assumptions. If she's putting so much effort into looking good it'd be almost criminal for not to appreciate it in a respectful way. Obviously I'm not making cat calls or anything at attendings that could rip my head off.
I was being sarcastic bro. Sorry. It doesn't convey too well on the net.

Seriously though, they only do it for themselves, not for you to appreciate. Have you never talked to a militant feminist?

Seriously though, they only do it for themselves, not for you to appreciate. Have you never talked to a militant feminist?

Yeah 90% of the time as a med student I'm not even acknowledged so you're right about not doing it for me lol!

Members don't see this ad :)

Or maybe they do do it so other can appreciate their beauty. Not all women are militant feminists.

Or maybe they do do it so other can appreciate their beauty. Not all women are militant feminists.
That's possible, but I've been harangued enough by militant feminists that I definitely won't be commenting on anyone's appearance.

doesnt matter, is like an old funny thread in here, where a medical student said he just felt who the nurses were, he realized it was his sixth sense. A sort of gift.

The nursing movement is gaining more ground and more state legislatures are expanding their scope. They think that physicians are overeducated and that lot of stuff that physicians learn are useless (premed & med school)... Now they (NPs) even want to right to do 'minor' surgeries with one year post grad training (unbelievable)... Visit allnursesdotcom and you will understand what I am talking about... I don't see how physicians are going to reverse that trend when more states are giving NPs more practice right.

But this is why doctors make terrible politicians. It doesn't matter what nurses want or what the political "trend" is. 99% of people who ARE NOT nurses would have supported the bill I mentioned earlier (clarifying that DNPs are not medical doctors). Physicians, PAs, and patients would all support this. (Why wouldn't a patient appreciate more information/clarification about the credentials of their provider?)

All it takes is citizens in different states to lobby their reps to sponsor SB 612 -like bills. Carefully worded so that the nursing faction can't kill the bill too easily. And then we do it again and again and again. The more publicity the better (because like I said the public at large will support us). You don't need to be Karl Rove to see a winnable strategy here.

But this is why doctors make terrible politicians. It doesn't matter what nurses want or what the political "trend" is. 99% of people who ARE NOT nurses would have supported the bill I mentioned earlier (clarifying that DNPs are not medical doctors). Physicians, PAs, and patients would all support this. (Why wouldn't a patient appreciate more information/clarification about the credentials of their provider?)

All it takes is citizens in different states to lobby their reps to sponsor SB 612 -like bills. Carefully worded so that the nursing faction can't kill the bill too easily. And then we do it again and again and again. The more publicity the better (because like I said the public at large will support us). You don't need to be Karl Rove to see a winnable strategy here.
What we need to do is get physicians to tell their patients to lobby for this. It shouldn't be that hard. It's such a simple thing to explain to a patient, it wouldn't even take a minute. However, I have a feeling that nothing is gonna happen.

Lol this happens to me.

"You are a med student? What are you studying to become? Dentist? Nurse? Therapist? Doctor? Surgeon? Oncologist?"...

This doesn't mean the door swings both ways. Med school is for future MD/DOs. Nursing school is for future nurses. PA school is for future PAs. Don't let the public convince you that their ignorance is equal to your knowledge.

I actually agree. I don't want to start another pretentious midlevels conversation, but I often wonder how many pre-PA and pre-nursing students tell people that they're going med school. If it's a lot, then how is the public supposed to make the distinction? And how do you correct them without sounding arrogant?

I actually agree. I don't want to start another pretentious midlevels conversation, but I often wonder how many pre-PA and pre-nursing students tell people that they're going med school. If it's a lot, then how is the public supposed to make the distinction? And how do you correct them without sounding arrogant?
I can understand this a little bit more with PA students, because I think for the lay person the distinction isn't as clear, or they don't even know what a PA is. For a while in UG I wanted to go to PA school, and most of the time when I told people that I was met with a blank stare, or "what's a PA?"

Like above, I don't know if enough people know what a PA is for someone to go "I go to PA school". However, almost everyone knows that nurses are, and thus "nursing school" should be a very easy answer for nursing students.

Maybe they chould change 'medical school' to 'Doctor school', or 'physician school' so we don't piss off DNPs.

I certainly never said I was going to medical school. I always explained that I was going to nursing school, and that is all I ever heard any of my cohort say. None of the pre-PA students that have been in my pre-req courses have said anything other than that they were applying to PA school.

I am sure that it happens some places. There are always people who want to pretend to status that they have not earned. Just search youtube for "stolen honor" to see the exposure of fake Navy Seals.

But I was always acutely aware that I wanted to go to medical school, and that what I was doing was not that. I lacked the resources to go. Not necessarily to find money for tuition, as loans were always available... rather I couldn't borrow enough to support my family while I went. Lying and saying that what I was doing was "medical school" would only have embarassed and depressed me, since I would know that I was just faking somethign that I desperately wanted to do for real.

TL;DR: I don't think this really happens so much. It is just so obnoxious when it does happen that you hear about it.

Try having medical assistants tell you they're in medical school.

Try having medical assistants tell you they're in medical school.
That's when you just go...
2574445-4236261275-okaay.gif

because at the end of the day, you're Dr. BamaNicole, and they're still Medical Assistant John Doe. It's like all of those commercials for MA schools where in 6 short months you can be working with real doctors and doing real medicine by taking a blood pressure. Grin inside and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
That's when you just go...
2574445-4236261275-okaay.gif

because at the end of the day, you're Dr. BamaNicole, and they're still Medical Assistant John Doe. It's like all of those commercials for MA schools where in 6 short months you can be working with real doctors and doing real medicine by taking a blood pressure. Grin inside and move on.
That is, until the "doctor of medical assistant studies" program starts up...