single?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So how are you entering med school?

• Married

Votes: 39 11.4%
  • Dating, but so serious might as well be married (long distance or otherwise)

Votes: 69 20.2%
  • Casual dating, I'm still having fun!

Votes: 43 12.6%
  • Hoping to possibly find a future spouse when in med school (not necessarily another med student)

Votes: 140 40.9%
  • Single but not looking. My eyes are on that MD diploma!

Votes: 50 14.6%

• Total voters
MedChic said:
So I was just wondering...if I were to enter med school as a single gal how many other singletons will be joining me vs. how many of you are in relationships?

looks like we're in the majority! except I've been at it for 2 years and still nothing. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Looque said:
Nah, I know you're just joking around. I gave a brief description of what happened in an older Pittsburgh thread regarding the ethical/moral dilemma essay. Not a virgin, but very restrained now.

My essay was very blande. A patient confidentiality thing involving some unexpected diagnostic results. But I didn't get an interview offer yet and you did, so maybe I should have gone a more colorfull route?

Brickhouse said:
looks like we're in the majority! except I've been at it for 2 years and still nothing. :(

It'll happen man, just be patient. Can't force anything and besides, the best things in life come when they're unexpected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haemulon said:
My essay was very blande. A patient confidentiality thing involving some unexpected diagnostic results. But I didn't get an interview offer yet and you did, so maybe I should have gone a more colorfull route?

Well, I didn't use the story I was referring to for my essay, only mentioned it briefly in the thread. I wasn't quite so bold as to use it for a med school essay.

Severus said:
Then again, it all comes down to ladder theory.

Yeah...you're definitely lacking in the ECSPOQ department (Estimated Chance She'll Put Out Quickly).

*Note: ECSPOQ is pronounced "X-pock." I've started using it colloquially.

Callogician said:
Yeah...you're definitely lacking in the ECSPOQ department (Estimated Chance She'll Put Out Quickly).

Yep, your turgid alright. :smuggrin:

Callogician said:

Did you make that up all by yourself? How clever.

Besides, it takes one to know one, right?

Haemulon said:
And turn out to be twins. :thumbup:

No doubt. Even if they're unrelated.

By the way, girls should never joke about a thing like that. Too mean. If you talk about it, you need to follow through.

What fun it is when they do follow through, hehe ;)

Callogician said:

Well, I certainly hope that's the case. Lately, I've been wondering how all these "Herpes Chic" girls keep getting all these decent guys -- must be ECSPOQ.

Looque said:
But really, it does take too much effort to express interest. I'm a pretty content guy, so the status quo is not something that I'm desperate to destroy. However, if an assertive person of the female persuasion approaches and impresses me, then sure, I'll go with it. I'm only going to make the effort myself after I know I'm very interested, which typically would only be after a couple dates, so that initial thrust is on her.

Looque-- want to go out sometime ;)

jillibean said:

Ha...sure, you pick the place. As a caveat, I don't like rice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haemulon said:
She just liked when you said "initial thrust is in her". . Whoops, I meant "on". :laugh:

Hey, it's alright. I can be quite the mouthful :eek:

Somebody, somebody
Can anybody find me somebody to loooove?

with my it coming upon a year since I ended a veeeeeery long term relationship i find myself singing this song a bit too often.

I have relatively good luck in garnering the interest of females, but for some reason none have caught my eye/mind/heart. I don’t think I’m picky or have too high of expectations. I just know what i want: an independently minded, adventurous, fun loving, loyal, ~5'5ish reddish brown haired B-cupped size 7 shoed intelligent woman with freckles on her nose. I mean, I don’t even have an eye color preference, and Id totally settle for a darkdark brown haired pale girl of the same height and shoe size without the freckles, or maybe just a couple freckles.... no no freckles are a must.

Doc.Holliday said:
Somebody, somebody
Can anybody find me somebody to loooove?

with my it coming upon a year since I ended a veeeeeery long term relationship i find myself singing this song a bit too often.

I have relatively good luck in garnering the interest of females, but for some reason none have caught my eye/mind/heart. I don’t think I’m picky or have too high of expectations. I just know what i want: an independently minded, adventurous, fun loving, loyal, ~5'5ish reddish brown haired B-cupped size 7 shoed intelligent woman with freckles on her nose. I mean, I don’t even have an eye color preference, and Id totally settle for a darkdark brown haired pale girl of the same height and shoe size without the freckles, or maybe just a couple freckles.... no no freckles are a must.

You should talk to Tobias. He said his wife swings.

i have a hard time finding people to date because i am so tall (6'-tall for a girl). yeah, i know there are guys that don't mind dating a taller girl, but i kinda mind. anything shorter than 5'10 and i just feel like a giant. no girl wants to feel like a giant when going out with a guy. oh.......i also have a hard time finding guys because i am just about the most shy person when it comes to talking to guys. i've been trying to get over it. we will see how that goes.

spospo said:
i have a hard time finding people to date because i am so tall (6'-tall for a girl). yeah, i know there are guys that don't mind dating a taller girl, but i kinda mind. anything shorter than 5'10 and i just feel like a giant. no girl wants to feel like a giant when going out with a guy. oh.......i also have a hard time finding guys because i am just about the most shy person when it comes to talking to guys. i've been trying to get over it. we will see how that goes.

I understand what your saying. But there are plenty of taller guys out there. I have a feeling you will become more confident and open during/after med school training for sure.

jillibean said:

Wait just one minute. You're gonna have to fight me and Erina for him if you wanna go out ;) We called dibs a while back

spospo said:
If you don't mind moving and dating a 5'9" guy, PM me. ;)

DropkickMurphy said:
If you don't mind moving and dating a 5'9" guy, PM me. ;)

you're gonna have to wear a shoe with at least a 1 inch heel/sole if i am going to date you. :D

spospo said:
I'm only 5'9" but I can relate. My boyfriend is about 1/2 and inch shorter than I am and he's the only guy shorter than I am that I have ever found attractive. I found that sometimes it's more about how confident the guys acts than how tall he is. My boyfriend took control so I never felt unfeminine (though I also never wear heels ;) )

As for the poll - I'm dating seriously. I love him, but I'm beginning to realize that odds are it might not survive med school. :(

Anastasis said:
I'm only 5'9" but I can relate. My boyfriend is about 1/2 and inch shorter than I am and he's the only guy shorter than I am that I have ever found attractive. I found that sometimes it's more about how confident the guys acts than how tall he is. My boyfriend took control so I never felt unfeminine (though I also never wear heels ;) )

As for the poll - I'm dating seriously. I love him, but I'm beginning to realize that odds are it might not survive med school. :(

Its about the girls confidence as much as the guys. As you mature youll hopefully come to better grips with your height and femininity and wont worry so much about things. But regardless, the guy is going to have to be equally confident in himself. good luck, but like i said as you get older it will get easier for you both.

Ive had girlfriends who are taller. Actually, looking back, Ive never had a girlfriend that was more than 2 inches shorter than me and Ive had 3 that were taller (im 5'10). Wierd. I dont have a particular liking for tall girls it just happened that way.

Doc.Holliday said:
Its about the girls confidence as much as the guys. As you mature youll hopefully come to better grips with your height and femininity and wont worry so much about things.

don't get me wrong. i love being tall. i can see over everyone. it's pretty awesome. then again, i have to stand in the back for everything. the one guy i dated that was shorter than i was not confident enough for me. he was very soft spoken and kinda scrawny. i am a very physical person and i need someone who won't fall over if i jokingly push him. i guess it just put a bad taste in my mouth for dating shorter guys. if any confident 5'9 guy wants to sweep me off my feet, i am more that willing :D

spospo said:
you're gonna have to wear a shoe with at least a 1 inch heel/sole if i am going to date you. :D
If I stand up really straight I'm 5'10". 5'11" if I have my work boots on. :laugh:

joanofarc0907 said:
Wait just one minute. You're gonna have to fight me and Erina for him if you wanna go out ;) We called dibs a while back

Well, he is still posting that he is single so I guess he's not interested :)

jillibean said:

why would he not say he is single. I am not convoluted enough to think that he is actually having a relationship with Erina or myself. I'm just saying we have dibs if he is going to have one with anyone on SDN haha

This is to the people questioning "casual dating"
Casual dating is the prelim. stages of dating. Its where you go on dates but you arent positive if you can see yourself fully interested in the person or not yet. When you walk up to an attractive person in one of your classes and strike up a conversation, you dont immediately know whether you two click well or not. So you go on some dates and it lets you know if you are comp. or not. What part is there not to understand? You dont walk up and say "I love you, marry me," you talk, date, see how things progress... That is dating, I dont see the possibilities of a real relationship without casual dating first unless it is arranged.

TPROrgoTutor said:
This is to the people questioning "casual dating"
Casual dating is the prelim. stages of dating. Its where you go on dates but you arent positive if you can see yourself fully interested in the person or not yet. When you walk up to an attractive person in one of your classes and strike up a conversation, you dont immediately know whether you two click well or not. So you go on some dates and it lets you know if you are comp. or not. What part is there not to understand? You dont walk up and say "I love you, marry me," you talk, date, see how things progress... That is dating, I dont see the possibilities of a real relationship without casual dating first unless it is arranged.

Eh, I think what you described is old-fashioned "dating". "Exclusive dating" happens when you find out you like the person enough. But the "casual dating" they were referring to before is more like ... whoring?? Yeah that's it. When you go out with a series of guys (after meeting them at a club of course) because they're cute, they'll pay, and you want random play, but you won't call the guy or expect him to call the next day. If one of you does then pick up the phone, it becomes a booty call. :laugh:

IMO, casual dating does not equal whoring. just because you are casually dating does not mean you are doing it with several different people and are getting random play out of all of them. yes, there are the people who do do that. but there are also people who don't want to be in a fully commited relationship. i am not in a relationship right now, and i don't especially want to get into one since i will most likely be leaving the state for med school. that isn't going to keep me from going on dates though. it shouldn't be considered "whoring" just because i don't call the guy my boyfriend. just my thoughts.

jillibean said:
ouch. this hurts. im going to go cry now.

spospo said:
IMO, casual dating does not equal whoring. just because you are casually dating does not mean you are doing it with several different people and are getting random play out of all of them. yes, there are the people who do do that. but there are also people who don't want to be in a fully commited relationship. i am not in a relationship right now, and i don't especially want to get into one since i will most likely be leaving the state for med school. that isn't going to keep me from going on dates though. it shouldn't be considered "whoring" just because i don't call the guy my boyfriend. just my thoughts.

No, no, that's "dating". Exclusive dating is when you start calling it a relationship and the guy your boyfriend, so no I don't think you're a *****. :D Oh god this is starting to sound like a sex in the city episode, ughh...

Yeah so DATING, I do it. But sometimes I'm too busy. Or there's not enough intelligent alpha males around.

Dallenoff said:
I'm sure any confident 5'9" guy would just as likely clothesline you rather than sweep you off your feet...just to keep you guessing. :idea:

i love a good challenge. this could be fun.

also, i agree with MSTP about the whole language thing. we all have different ideas of what casual dating is and what a hook up is. to me, hooking up is making out or anything above that. thats just me though. it is useless for us to argue about what casual dating is. but don't let me stop the argument. :D

Hooking up randomly is very different with hooking up with people that you see on a semi-regular basis (no matter how little or many there are). I don't count kissing or making out as hooking up either. There's kissing (single), feeling up (double), hooking up (triple), and then well, you know. (and he hit the home run!)

Feeling up -- clothes stay on (hence the second base part).

Hooking up -- clothes come off (hence the third base part).

Those are my definitions.

Kissing, feeling up, or hooking up randomly does not necessarily make for a slut either. Sometimes a hook-up is just a hook-up. It's when either the guy or the girl has a lot of sex with a lot of strangers that may be kind of slutty (so the amount of relationships one has had does not equal sluttiness).

Either way, when it comes to dating, I don't judge what others do, by the way. I just try not to go where every man's gone before.

defrunner said:
Hooking up randomly is very different with hooking up with people that you see on a semi-regular basis (no matter how little or many there are). I don't count kissing or making out as hooking up either. There's kissing (single), feeling up (double), hooking up (triple), and then well, you know. (and he hit the home run!)

Kissing, feeling up, or hooking up randomly does not necessarily make for a slut either. Sometimes a hook-up is just a hook-up. It's when either the guy or the girl has a lot of sex with a lot of strangers that may be kind of slutty (so the amount of relationships one has had does not equal sluttiness).

Either way, when it comes to dating, I don't judge what others do, by the way. I just try not to go where every man's gone before.

an absolute besmirchment of the base system. the bases = the four Fs and thats final. dont toy with them.

Dallenoff said:
Agreed.

A little fuzzy on what "f" word applies to tits though.

French-Feel-F*nger-F***

yea i know there should be a base between 3rd and home, but this is the system and youll have to deal, call it 3 and 1/2 if you wish

defrunner said:

This post cracks my $hit up. It's got everything--definitions, a sluttiness scale, etc.

The only thing that I think is funny is that where I come from, "hooking up" definitely means you had sex (which I will include 'oral' in that definition, Bill Clinton!).. :laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:
The only thing that I think is funny is that where I come from, "hooking up" definitely means you had sex (which I will include 'oral' in that definition, Bill Clinton!).. :laugh:
Ha, messed up. In Bumble**** Boonieville where I'm from, random hairy dudes say, "ARRRRRGH! Sounds good. 3 PM. Bring some lawn chairs and washers and we'll HOOK UP." to other random hairy dudes.

Either everyone's a raging buttpirate (which means I need to skip town before they figure me out) or everyone and their brother has a different definition of what it means to "hook up."

Darling, it depends on the context. Me saying "Hey, let's hook up later" to one of my girlfriends means, "Meet you later."

Whereas, "What happened with that hottie D last night?"..."Oh, we hooked up!"

Or whatever.

jackieMD2007 said:
Darling, it depends on the context. Me saying "Hey, let's hook up later" to one of my girlfriends means, "Meet you later."

Whereas, "What happened with that hottie D last night?"..."Oh, we hooked up!"

Or whatever.
more than one gf? you stud you.

Doc.Holliday said:
an absolute besmirchment of the base system. the bases = the four Fs and thats final. dont toy with them.

Haha you are arguing exactly what I said!

I don't know whether to thank you for proving my point or not.

Reminder:

Frenching = kissing (who in the hell kisses with their mouth closed anyway? mouth stays closed for old people and relatives -- unless you're in the deep south or something hehe; just kidding!)

Feeling = feeling up (clothes don't come off but you can go underneath the clothes)

Fingering = hooking up (clothes come off if you know what you're doing, dude...)

Fu--- = round the bases and zig-zag your way through it. Change your pace here and there, sometimes slowly run and other times, sprint. Remember, a good technique when you run leads to a good finish.

Jackie, thanks for the compliments :)

I :love: the ladies....

Dallenoff said:

I think Missouri breeds dry humor, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dallenoff said:

Haha Jackie's a girl and she's got a man too, I think.

I would never have more than one girlfriend.. mo' girls, mo' problems... you know. Plus it would get really expensive in a hurry, too.

defrunner said:

I would never have more than one girlfriend.. mo' girls, mo' problems... you know. Plus it would get really expensive in a hurry, too.
Oh, I didn't know he was a girl. I was about to invite him to kill a six-pack.

And mo' girls should be mo' profit. Don't spend money, take it. ;)

defrunner said:

You don't have the full deal for both dude - it's wife + mistress ;)