sint Eustatius vs MUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arash2663

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I did some research on both schools in terms of residency match and USMLE pass rates, and to me they are very similar. Each school has its pros and cons, which makes it very difficult for me to decide. For example at USESOM you have the opportunity to stay over there for 4 semesters and you can take the last semester of basic science in the U.S in Illinois. However, statia is smaller than Nevis which means that there are better housing facilities in Nevis, but you have to stay there for 20 months. MUA has bigger and better buildings, and is sister to Saba, but USESOM has a better clinical rotation in the U.S.
I know that at either school I am able to reach my goals. In addition, I know that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to reach those goals, the only question I have is which school makes it easy, MUA or USESOM?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with MUA-Nevis. It is NY-approved while Eustatius isn't!

I am at MUA and am willing to address any specific questions that you may have about the school and island. I know nothing about St. Eustatius. But after having been here at MUA Nevis for both premed and med school, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it is not easy living. The island living here is terrible. The infrastructure is most definitely lacking, the locals are very rude and resentful towards students, there is lots of animal cruelty and there are no conveniences here, including no good restaurants except Bananas which is expensive. The buildings we are currently using are very poor in quality: lights go out constantly, lots of beepers and bells, overcrowded classrooms, etc. There is a new building that is supposed to be ready next month, but in my opinion, it won't be ready until at least sometime next year. It was originally promised Sept '07. Also, the idea of getting to leave the third-world conditions of the Caribbean a semester early (at Eustatius, not MUA) should also be given serious consideration.

On the up side, the MUA professors are, for the most part, excellent.

Good luck. It's a tough game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arash, you made a decision?

i am going with UMHS St. Kitts they have a loan with citibank (9%) +their faculty look very knowledgeable

Arash, have you landed on the island yet? What is your opinion of UMHS?

Arash, we're interested in hearing about your experience with UMHS thusfar. Please give us an update.
Thanks!

The only difference is that MUA-N has NY approval.

But what does NY approval mean?

It means you can do clinical rotation more than 12 weeks.
It means you can apply residency in NY state

Which means if you attend Statia, you cannot do rotation more than 12 weeks and you cannot apply residency in NY state.

HOWEVER, if you attend either one of the school, you can still be licensed and practice in NY. [Yes, if you attend Statia, you can still be a doctor and practice in NY]

Don't ask me why, but its a very weird rule they have.

do you know if NY will accept a statia grad into fellowship? Its not residency I guess...does that matter?