This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When was your app complete?
My city was affected by the hurricane, so I submitted my application less than two weeks ago. I had my application and every thing done by the end of July, but I could not mail my consolidated packet until about two weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

My city was affected by the hurricane, so I submitted my application less than two weeks ago. I had my application and every thing done by the end of July, but I could not mail my consolidated packet until about two weeks ago.
Oh no.. I hope you’re okay!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize to anyone that has been looking for guidance throughout this process. School got super real around the time I stopped responding. If anyone has any questions just let me know and I will do my best to respond!

Welcome potential MEDPREPers. I made this forum for the Summer 2018 entering class. Soon-to-be SIU SOM M1 here that finished MEDPREP this past May. Overall, this is an AMAZING program and I along with other current MEDPREPers are here to answer as many questions as I can pertaining to the application process and the program itself. The application should be open sometime this month so keep a lookout. I will post the link to the website (SIU SOM recently rebranded so be patient with any kinks they are trying to work out with the new website) Good luck!

Hi, I was wondering
Sorry about responding to this late. I do not have SDN hooked up to my current email (probably shouldn't as it is a big distractor during the application cycle). First and foremost I want respond to your comment on last years SIU MEDPREP 2017 cycle.

I want to confirm that yes yes and more YES's that SIU MEDPREP has an alliance with SIU School of Medicine which is such a great perk to this program. You are eligible for an automatic seat (no interview, no traveling to Springfield for the interview, no secondary fee, still need to pay the primary fee) if you meet SIU's minimum qualifications by the end the first semester of your application cycle (2.8 overall GPA, 2.8 BCPM, 498 MCAT, Illinois resident, and good standing with the MEDPREP Student Progress Committee). However, those who do not meet the alliance qualifications still do really great in the application cycle and gain multiple acceptances.

In terms of being maxed out with FAFSA, I was maxed out before I even started. A lot of students found themselves in this predicament. I paid for MEDPREP by borrowing from Sallie Mae, which has high rates so I would go with your bank or some other private loan company with lower rates if you can. Otherwise if you qualify for the MBS or MPH then that will allow access to another pool of money through FAFSA. Get into MEDPREP first then worry about that.

In response to your questions about the application cycle:

1. Recommendations will have to be mailed in along with a recommendation form filled out by the recommender. I think Mr. Stevens will actually have you do a consolidated packet with everything inside it (recommendations, reccomendation forms, any signed paper work needed, etc.)
2. I am an in-state student. However, a lot of people come from out-of-state. I would say the majority of my class was out-of-state to be honest. They were able to change their residency to Illinois after Fall semester though.
3. Like previously said I did loans from Sallie Mae. HOWEVER, another perk of MEDPREP is that if you are a traditional MEDPREP student then during the second year almost everyone qualifies for a tuition waiver. If you are a masters student then you do not qualify for a tuition waiver since they can find Teaching Assistantships to pay for tuition and receive stipends. A handful of first year students get a tuition waiver based on need since there is a cap on how many are given and priority is given to second years.

Hope this all helps!
Thank you so much for posting this! Couple of questions: There is no character limit on the essay prompts and I was wondering if a 2000 character limit would be fine? Probably expand more on the questions that require more thought. Also, could you please go into more depth about the program such as first and second year emphasis?

Since there isn't really a word limit, how many words average were your answers? I feel like I wrote too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize to anyone that has been looking for guidance throughout this process. School got super real around the time I stopped responding. If anyone has any questions just let me know and I will do my best to respond!
Do you have any recommendations on a good taxi service in the area?

Do you have any recommendations on a good taxi service in the area?

Uber is in the area now! Otherwise there should be taxi service when you type in "Carbondale taxi". I know one is Jackson County Mass Transit i think.

For word count for the application. If there is no word limit, I would put as much as you want, however, only put enough that would help bring your point across (Avoid "fluff" or anything extra that does not relate to the point you are trying to make in your essay)

@KarlosZ (If I replied to your reply this would be very long so I just did an @ScreenName lol hope you see this) But this is for everyone else as well.

Like I stated previously as long as you state your point without any "fluff" then you can make your essays as long as you want. Just make your point whether it is a short essay or lengthy one.

For the structure of the program I will do a little summary but Kathleen Jones will go into even more detail during Admissions Day:

Summer before year 1 or BOOTCAMP (Starts the end of June/ends the first/second week of August): This is called bootcamp for a reason. It consists of a 8 a.m.-4 p.m. daily schedule in order to introduce you to the first year MEDPREP curriculum. It is not a consistent schedule and will change every week. You will only have MEDPREP courses taught by MEDPREP faculty (Bio applications, Psych/Soc, Academic Enrichment, Quantitative Skills, and Inorganic Chemistry). It is a BUSY summer but it will put you on track for the first year curriculum.

Year 1: Same MEDPREP courses that you saw in the summer except CARS and Physics will be added. You will not have Quant skills during the school year. In addition, this is a consistent SET schedule (For example, Chemistry: Monday, Wednes, Friday at the set time, Bio: Monday, Wednesday, Friday at the set time). In addition to MEDPREP courses, traditional MEDPREP students (not MPH/MBS) will take 1-2 SIU on-campus courses with other SIU undergraduates/graduates (Graduate biochem, physiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, etc.) This is also the time where MBS or MPH students will complete their coursework for their Masters programs.

Summer: Work/Summer program/summer research fellowship/Enjoy your summer...However, this is when you are expected to take you MCAT and finally APPLY to medical school.

Year 2: This year there is more "freedom" to your schedule. You basically get to make up your own schedule and take upper level science courses that will help prepare you for medical school (Popular ones for this year: Mammalian Physiology, Gross Anatomy, Survey Anatomy, Immunology, Pharmacology, Medical Biochemistry, Physician Shadowing, Medical Terminology, Problem-Based Learning, etc.) For those considering SIU SOM for a medical school, Mammalian Physiology lectures are basically the exact same lectures as the School of Medicine lectures for physiology which comes pretty handy because all that information will not be new to you and it will be just review for the first year of medical school. However, this year becomes busy with trying to complete secondary applications (try to have those done BEFORE school otherwise it is a whole other rollercoaster if you have to do those during the school year) and traveling for interviews to different medical schools. (Do not dwell on this year yet...have a long ways away before getting to this point)

Okay yall...I will recheck this the week before admissions day to answer any last minute questions. Hopefully before this I can re-check it. My life is super busy with exams about to come up. I apologize in advance.

@UMVoyager Some schools require a prospect to have taken pre -reqs within 5, 7 or 10 years of applying. Does admission to MEPREP have similar time requirements. Thanks!

Does anyone know about the admissions day exams? How do you prepare for them?

I applied late so I missed the Cycle 1 deadline. I was pushed to Cycle 2. Does anyone know how long it will take for me to find out if i will be invited to admissions day. Plus is it much harder to get in Cycle 2? How many applicants are there usually applying to the program? Also I have volunteer experience but I don’t have shadowing hours would that work against me on my application?

Does anyone know about the admissions day exams? How do you prepare for them?
From what I've seen on old posts.. the tests aren't MCAT style questions. They are more so basic questions to test your knowledge. I believe the results are factored with interview scores to select which individuals are accepted. I think they are also used to select courses if you are accepted into the program. To prepare, I'm just looking over notes I have from college. I will only be reviewing for one week, I'm not studying before the interview.

I applied late so I missed the Cycle 1 deadline. I was pushed to Cycle 2. Does anyone know how long it will take for me to find out if i will be invited to admissions day. Plus is it much harder to get in Cycle 2? How many applicants are there usually applying to the program? Also I have volunteer experience but I don’t have shadowing hours would that work against me on my application?

I Called Mr. Stevens today; he told me it's not different from cycle 1.
From what I've seen on old posts.. the tests aren't MCAT style questions. They are more so basic questions to test your knowledge. I believe the results are factored with interview scores to select which individuals are accepted. I think they are also used to select courses if you are accepted into the program. To prepare, I'm just looking over notes I have from college. I will only be reviewing for one week, I'm not studying before the interview.

my notes are super old. I'm just gonna ask how to prepare if I get accepted

@Charlie$B I do not think there is a time limit on the pre-reqs. That is something I would call Mr. Stevens about for clarification. What i do know is that this program is a career enhancer program and you should have the majority of pre-reqs already completed. It is okay if you do not have 1-2 at the most completed since you should be able to finish those at some point within the next two year.

In response to @Caliber I would just like to say do NOT freak out over these admissions day exams. They are straightforward multiple choice exams to just test your knowledge like @drhopeful2018 said. These scores are only a fraction of your admissions decision. I know people who scored below the average on certain exams and still got in. However, it might send a red flag if someone performs below the average in every section. That is probably the only instance where the scores sway a decision in the admissions process. Okay back to studying! lol I will try to check this before the cycle 1 admissions days just in case if you have any other questions needed to be answered. Good luck everyone and remember to come to admissions day relaxed and well rested! You will all do great!

Reactions: 1 users

Hey there is no need to worry if you miss the cycle 1 deadline. To answer your question about cycle 2, it technically becomes a tiny bit more competitive but thats only because there are about 3-4 admissions days instead of 2. However, history says that in cycle 2 there are a lot more spots to fill (From my personal observation and not actual statistics: Usually 10-12 get in from cycle 1 and 22-24 or how much it takes to fill the rest of the 36 seats gets in from cycle 2). Do not take my word for that because it is possible if all people interviewing for cycle 1 are a good fit for the program then they could all get in but history says otherwise.

For cycle 2 you would hear if you get invites to admissions day around January I think but I am not for sure on that as well.

Any experience is good (shadowing hours or not) as long as you can relate it to medicine and MEDPREP's mission:

MISSION STATEMENT: The MEDPREP mission is to increase the number of underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students from central and southern Illinois (out of stater's do not read too much into this...the majority of MEDPREP is out-of-state) who will enter and graduate from health professions schools and will serve in U.S. health professions shortage areas.

I just want to wish everyone good luck who will be at Admissions Day on Friday. I look forward to meeting you all!! :)

I just want to wish everyone good luck who will be at Admissions Day on Friday. I look forward to meeting you all!! :)
Thank you, good luck to you as well! Look forward to meeting you too. Will be traveling this morning!

What email did you send the supplemental form to?

What email did you send the supplemental form to?
I just sent mine in my consolidated packet, I'm not sure what email you could send it to if you wanted to go that route. Possibly Mr. Stevens?

Last edited:
finally, I can work on applying! My final grades came out today--working on my application now. Any tips? I've been looking at the sample app and it's pretty daunting to me. IDK y..I guess i'm freaking out about it all

Has anyone heard back from Medprep for cycle 2? Will we start to hear back from them after the deadline?

Has anyone heard anything since cycle 1 interviews?

Last edited:
Unable to post on my old account so I am now starting over... smh
@Inspiration15 I have not heard back yet, have you?

@ANTIdoc I haven't heard anything either. Have you tried reaching out to them to check on the status of your application or anything?

@ANTIdoc I haven't heard anything either. Have you tried reaching out to them to check on the status of your application or anything?
I haven't tried reaching out.. I may just wait until after this week to decide if I should! Maybe we'll hear back on the exact day they told us at Admissions Day

@ANTIdoc That's true. Plus, the weather has been bad a lot of places with the bomb cyclone. I'm sure that may have delayed some things.

@ANTIdoc That's true. Plus, the weather has been bad a lot of places with the bomb cyclone. I'm sure that may have delayed some things.
Right! I forgot all about that, that may have definitely delayed things. I’m so impatient but this experience has definitely taught me to be patient.

@ANTIdoc Glad to know I'm not the only one impatient. Lol! I totally agree, this has definitely taught me how to be patient. Have you heard from any of the other candidates from Admissions Day? Not sure if you exchanged numbers with some of the others.

@Inspiration15 right! I’m glad I’m not alone in this, lol. I did not exchange numbers with anyone on Admissions Day, how about you?

@Inspiration15 I’m glad I’m not alone lol... well, let’s hope we get some news this week! *crosses fingers*

Has anyone heard back from Medprep for cycle 2? Will we start to hear back from them after the deadline?
Haven't heard anything yet. Has your packet been marked as received? I sent mine in November and still haven't gotten an email saying it was received. I called Mr. Stevens 2-3 weeks ago and he said he has a lot of packets to go through so I'm trying to not be anxious.

Haven't heard anything yet. Has your packet been marked as received? I sent mine in November and still haven't gotten an email saying it was received. I called Mr. Stevens 2-3 weeks ago and he said he has a lot of packets to go through so I'm trying to not be anxious.
I sent mines in like October or November too. He marked mines as complete like the same day. But that was because I sent my packet on like the cycle 1 deadline and he probably didn’t have that many packages to go through. If your application is not showing complete at this point I would highly suggest you call again. The deadline is on the 16th and you need to make sure everything is complete. Don’t email because he might not see it soon enough. Go ahead and call.