This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m hoping so. Mr. Stevens hasn’t responded to my email yet.
I got an email from him today, stating he hasn't received my second transcript that I sent. Luckily, I had someone sign for it and had tracker on the package. It was delivered on the 22nd, so I'm waiting for another response from him.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email from him today, stating he hasn't received my second transcript that I sent. Luckily, I had someone sign for it and had tracker on the package. It was delivered on the 22nd, so I'm waiting for another response from him.
I’m glad you did. He usually responds quickly regarding emails like that.

They must still be verifying packages for everyone it seems like.

Members don't see this ad :)
@UMVoyager Do you think from the email (Post #123) I got, I'll be considered for this cycle?

@Caliber So does this mean you've already submitted in your portal? Do you mind posting your latest email from MEDPREP/Mr. Stevens?

I am very sorry for the late reply. School got at bit too real (they dont play with this neuro/muscular unit) around the time everyone seemed to be posting in January.

On that note, interview dates for cycle 2 are usually in February and maybe some in March. I hope everyone has heard something by now about their current application status. If not just hang in there and if you have any questions then do not hesitate to ask on this forum. In terms of consolidated packet questions, I did not have to do that when I applied so I do not know how that process works. However, if something is not turned in on the last day, you can tell Mr. Stevens that something is on its way through mail whether its a letter of rec or transcripts and he should give a pass about that stuff. Hopefully this helps. Keep working hard!

P.S. for those who end up missing out on applying this year or did not make it. They definitely keep track of who applies and they REALLY look into who took the time to enhance some part of the application for the time to apply. You can also call the director, Dr. Metz, or Mr. Stevens and they will be open to giving you suggestions on getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything back yet? Admission days are a little over two weeks away. Just wondering if I should be preparing to book a flight ...or not :)

Has anyone heard anything back yet? Admission days are a little over two weeks away. Just wondering if I should be preparing to book a flight ...or not :)
I haven’t heard anything yet. I sent an email last week and I haven’t gotten a response yet.

I just got my invitation to admissions day. Mr.Stevens has been sick so he has been unable to call before today. Give him a few days. I’m praying for everyone

I just got my invitation to admissions day. Mr.Stevens has been sick so he has been unable to call before today. Give him a few days. I’m praying for everyone
Congrats !! *prays* Pls let me get invited

Did he call on your home phone or cell phone?

Congrats on your invite. Well wishes on admissions day.

I called to follow up and he had the wrong email on file for me. He wasn’t notified when my application was submitted. so hopefully I’ll hear something back soon.

Good luck to everyone :)

I called to follow up and he had the wrong email on file for me. He wasn’t notified when my application was submitted. so hopefully I’ll hear something back soon.

Good luck to you too. There could be a delay for you all if he is still verifying applications. My application was completed and confirmed back in November.

Members don't see this ad :)

A good place to start if you're in the Southern Illinois Area or have to fly through St. Louis is Cape Air for cheap flights.

Also, SDN advises anonymity for privacy reasons. There are lots of trolls on here, unfortunately. Definitely, consider new profile pics if you have a picture of yourself or any other info that can be traced to you.

Also, SDN advises anonymity for privacy reasons. There are lots of trolls on here, unfortunately. Definitely, consider new profile pics if you have a picture of yourself or any other info that can be traced to you.
Thank you

We only had 3 forms to email back to Mr. Stevens, right?

Sorry about responding to this late. I do not have SDN hooked up to my current email (probably shouldn't as it is a big distractor during the application cycle). First and foremost I want respond to your comment on last years SIU MEDPREP 2017 cycle.

I want to confirm that yes yes and more YES's that SIU MEDPREP has an alliance with SIU School of Medicine which is such a great perk to this program. You are eligible for an automatic seat (no interview, no traveling to Springfield for the interview, no secondary fee, still need to pay the primary fee) if you meet SIU's minimum qualifications by the end the first semester of your application cycle (2.8 overall GPA, 2.8 BCPM, 498 MCAT, Illinois resident, and good standing with the MEDPREP Student Progress Committee). However, those who do not meet the alliance qualifications still do really great in the application cycle and gain multiple acceptances.

In terms of being maxed out with FAFSA, I was maxed out before I even started. A lot of students found themselves in this predicament. I paid for MEDPREP by borrowing from Sallie Mae, which has high rates so I would go with your bank or some other private loan company with lower rates if you can. Otherwise if you qualify for the MBS or MPH then that will allow access to another pool of money through FAFSA. Get into MEDPREP first then worry about that.

In response to your questions about the application cycle:

1. Recommendations will have to be mailed in along with a recommendation form filled out by the recommender. I think Mr. Stevens will actually have you do a consolidated packet with everything inside it (recommendations, reccomendation forms, any signed paper work needed, etc.)
2. I am an in-state student. However, a lot of people come from out-of-state. I would say the majority of my class was out-of-state to be honest. They were able to change their residency to Illinois after Fall semester though.
3. Like previously said I did loans from Sallie Mae. HOWEVER, another perk of MEDPREP is that if you are a traditional MEDPREP student then during the second year almost everyone qualifies for a tuition waiver. If you are a masters student then you do not qualify for a tuition waiver since they can find Teaching Assistantships to pay for tuition and receive stipends. A handful of first year students get a tuition waiver based on need since there is a cap on how many are given and priority is given to second years.

Hope this all helps!
What are the admission day interviews like? Any advice?

What are the admission day interviews like? Any advice?
In terms of the interviews, each person will be interviewing with either current or past faculty/staff. The interviewers are really chill and they just want to get to know you through a laid back conversation. Before your interviews I would prepare for the question "How will MEDPREP enhance your medical school application?" and I would read the MEDPREP mission statement and make sure it applies to the majority of your responses (Exp. Explain how your goals include serving undeserved communities as a healthcare professional, present your role as a disadvantaged student and why it is important in healthcare, etc. ). Overall, there is no reason to be nervous about these interviews. They were literally the best part of the day. Just relax and be yourself (your most positive self) is the best advice that I can give everyone! Also just like any other professional interview, "the interview starts when you walk through the door." This means that you will be judged at ALL times and not only during the actual interview. Dress business casual, be attentive, ask questions, be punctual, be positive, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone will be attending Admissions Day.

Reactions: 1 users
In terms of the interviews, each person will be interviewing with either current or past faculty/staff. The interviewers are really chill and they just want to get to know you through a laid back conversation. Before your interviews I would prepare for the question "How will MEDPREP enhance your medical school application?" and I would read the MEDPREP mission statement and make sure it applies to the majority of your responses (Exp. Explain how your goals include serving undeserved communities as a healthcare professional, present your role as a disadvantaged student and why it is important in healthcare, etc. ). Overall, there is no reason to be nervous about these interviews. They were literally the best part of the day. Just relax and be yourself (your most positive self) is the best advice that I can give everyone! Also just like any other professional interview, "the interview starts when you walk through the door." This means that you will be judged at ALL times and not only during the actual interview. Dress business casual, be attentive, ask questions, be punctual, be positive, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone will be attending Admissions Day.
Thank you I really appreciate your help

@KarlosZ (If I replied to your reply this would be very long so I just did an @ScreenName lol hope you see this) But this is for everyone else as well.

Like I stated previously as long as you state your point without any "fluff" then you can make your essays as long as you want. Just make your point whether it is a short essay or lengthy one.

For the structure of the program I will do a little summary but Kathleen Jones will go into even more detail during Admissions Day:

Summer before year 1 or BOOTCAMP (Starts the end of June/ends the first/second week of August): This is called bootcamp for a reason. It consists of a 8 a.m.-4 p.m. daily schedule in order to introduce you to the first year MEDPREP curriculum. It is not a consistent schedule and will change every week. You will only have MEDPREP courses taught by MEDPREP faculty (Bio applications, Psych/Soc, Academic Enrichment, Quantitative Skills, and Inorganic Chemistry). It is a BUSY summer but it will put you on track for the first year curriculum.

Year 1: Same MEDPREP courses that you saw in the summer except CARS and Physics will be added. You will not have Quant skills during the school year. In addition, this is a consistent SET schedule (For example, Chemistry: Monday, Wednes, Friday at the set time, Bio: Monday, Wednesday, Friday at the set time). In addition to MEDPREP courses, traditional MEDPREP students (not MPH/MBS) will take 1-2 SIU on-campus courses with other SIU undergraduates/graduates (Graduate biochem, physiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, etc.) This is also the time where MBS or MPH students will complete their coursework for their Masters programs.

Summer: Work/Summer program/summer research fellowship/Enjoy your summer...However, this is when you are expected to take you MCAT and finally APPLY to medical school.

Year 2: This year there is more "freedom" to your schedule. You basically get to make up your own schedule and take upper level science courses that will help prepare you for medical school (Popular ones for this year: Mammalian Physiology, Gross Anatomy, Survey Anatomy, Immunology, Pharmacology, Medical Biochemistry, Physician Shadowing, Medical Terminology, Problem-Based Learning, etc.) For those considering SIU SOM for a medical school, Mammalian Physiology lectures are basically the exact same lectures as the School of Medicine lectures for physiology which comes pretty handy because all that information will not be new to you and it will be just review for the first year of medical school. However, this year becomes busy with trying to complete secondary applications (try to have those done BEFORE school otherwise it is a whole other rollercoaster if you have to do those during the school year) and traveling for interviews to different medical schools. (Do not dwell on this year yet...have a long ways away before getting to this point)

Okay yall...I will recheck this the week before admissions day to answer any last minute questions. Hopefully before this I can re-check it. My life is super busy with exams about to come up. I apologize in advance.

I know you stated that the program starts at the end of June and stops at the first or second week of August, but is the first day of the semester the same for MEDPREP students as it is for everyone else?

I know you stated that the program starts at the end of June and stops at the first or second week of August, but is the first day of the semester the same for MEDPREP students as it is for everyone else?
This is true in terms of MEDPREP running on SIU Carbondale's undergraduate schedule starting in the fall semester. The only schedule that is solely constructed by the MEDPREP curriculum is the summer semester or "bootcamp".

This is true in terms of MEDPREP running on SIU Carbondale's undergraduate schedule starting in the fall semester. The only schedule that is solely constructed by the MEDPREP curriculum is the summer semester or "bootcamp".
Thank you!

Did anyone receive confirmation stating that their Admissions Day forms were received?

Did anyone receive confirmation stating that their Admissions Day forms were received?
I haven’t yet. But I sent mine in yesterday so that may be why. Excited and nervous! Which day are you attending?

I haven’t yet. But I sent mine in yesterday so that may be why. Excited and nervous! Which day are you attending?
Hmm. I'll call just to make sure they've received mine. I will be in attendance next Friday! What about you?

I ask mr.stevens for a confirmation but I haven’t received an email back yet

I ask mr.stevens for a confirmation but I haven’t received an email back yet
He told me that we didn’t need to confirm receipt of the AD packet. Just so long as we got an invite to AD and emailed how we are getting there we are fine.

i guess I'll be seeing yall for Cycle 2 Admissions day!

Anyone else still waiting for an email/call from Mr.Stevens inviting you to admissions day? :(

Anyone else still waiting for an email/call from Mr.Stevens inviting you to admissions day? :(

Yep. I'm pretty sure I didn't get accepted. *shrugs* I have 6 more applications out so no biggie.

Keep your head up. Maybe he's waiting to see how many people accept before sending out responses.

I honestly just heard about this program today and I’m assuming I’m really really late? :/

@UMVoyager Do you think from the email (Post #123) I got, I'll be considered for this cycle?

@Caliber So does this mean you've already submitted in your portal? Do you mind posting your latest email from MEDPREP/Mr. Stevens?

Sorry I’m just now seeing this. And i didn’t submit it by the time i got the email but i still got invited to admissions day nonetheless so don’t worry as long as you turned your stuff in by ample
TIme. They should get back to you.

When's cycle 1? I was hoping to get into the program for Fall 2018

The application cycle for MEDPREP historically opens in the middle of the summer. Look out over the summer on the SIU SOM MEDPREP website. I will probably begin another SDN portal right around the time the next application cycle opens in order to help those applying next cycle. I definitely will try to have someone else in MEDPREP take over it since M2 will be kind of hectic. In addition, Cycle 1 deadline should be if I am not mistaking around September/October and then admissions day for Cycle 1 is usually in November around a week before thanksgiving.

I do highly suggest getting your application materials ready in the summer especially letters of recommendation.

Has anyone heard anything back by now ? I know they said by April 4, we should hear something back.

I got an invite last week but I'm not sure that they sent them all out at the same time.

I also got an invite last week... Congrats DrKhalo!

wait an invite or acceptance?
This can be a bit confusing. An invite to the program is basically an acceptance. That is how Mr. Stevens says it when he calls you once you are accepted (If he still does that...I am sure he does)

I'm second cycle. He sent an email with acceptance details and procedures. April 6th is the day everyone will know one way or the other. Good luck and keep the faith

I'm second cycle. He sent an email with acceptance details and procedures. April 6th is the day everyone will know one way or the other. Good luck and keep the faith

ahh congrats!!!!!! yay!!!

This can be a bit confusing. An invite to the program is basically an acceptance. That is how Mr. Stevens says it when he calls you once you are accepted (If he still does that...I am sure he does)
cool! thanks for sticking around the entire time.

April 6th has came and went... has anyone from cycle 2 heard anything? Mail, email, phone call?