SIU Underrated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted413795

I recently had interviews at both UIC and SIU and came away very impressed with SIU and feeling sort of "eh" with UIC. I know SIU is often looked down upon, but this seems like a large misconception. I am just curious about this reputation being unfounded.

I realize they are not top tier or strong in research, but as someone who wants to be a clinician I found the PBL curriculum to make complete sense. It also seemed like a great atmosphere where you actually learn to be a doctor as opposed to just memorizing and regurgitating.

It seems like most people who comment either are bias against PBL, want to live in a city, or have some other non-education quality related qualm with why they do not like SIU.

What are other people's thoughts? After the interview and my pre-application reading, I feel like SIU is a great option; even thought I have interviews and potential acceptances at schools that are generally regarded as being "better".

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the place that makes the most sense for you.

I personally gave up an offer at one of the best schools in the country to stay in-state.

I definitely agree that you go where you fit in and will be happy. As someone who wants to practice medicine from the clinical standpoint, I know I would not fit in at U of Chicago or Wash U.

I am just curious about the impressions that other people have had, or if they have any insight into the negativity. Is it pure ignorance of the PBL curriculum and the idea that med school needs to be unnecessarily stressful and competitive?

Not thinking PBL is a fit for you is certainly legitimate, but it seems like a lot of folks are passionately negative about SIU or love it. It would be interesting to hear from more people who are less zealous and take the time to explain their impressions of this schools reputation, or even other similar situations throughout the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
PBL generally tends to have an negative response when you ask people how they feel about it. Apart from that, I'm not aware of any educational shortcomings, real or perceived, with respect to SIU.

If you're cool with PBL, SIU is a great school. I think, like OP said, many people don't like the fact that it's not in a big city like almost every other IL med school. They have a different purpose/mission though, so there again why fit is important for med school.

Good point Donnie. Prior to interviewing SIU did not have a special place on my list, but afterward I definitely feel excited about it.

I am definitely the opposite of most folks. I do not want to do rurual med, but I do not want to be in Chicago or any city like that if I can avoid it. I went to undergrad in Chicago. It was fun, but I am kinda over it. I like bigger spread out cities like Denver or Orlando, or places like Rockford, IL or Peoria, IL. Even Springfield. Big little towns.

Nothing is wrong with SIU. It's not in a big city and so it doesn't attract (or usually doesn't accept ;)) people from out-of-state or even Chicago.

And most people don't like PBL. My school doesn't have a huge component, so I'm not against it. However, my school does have a number of extra courses that get in the way and are very annoying. I think the same thing occurs with PBL. It seems really cool and that it would be worth it while you are interviewing, but then it just takes up valuable time and effort that could be used elsewhere.

If you liked the location and the curriculum, there is no problem with going there. I knew people who went there and liked it. They ended up in good programs.

From what I understand SIU is 100% PBL, so I wouldn't think it would get in the way since it is the entire curriculum. I do know they have a few lectures and many optional ones. Am I misunderstanding what you were saying?

It does seem like PBL is kind of annoying at other schools because they sort of throw in little bits of it here and there while expecting you to do the traditional memorize regurgitate all day lecture approach as well.

SIU M1 here. ;)

The PBL medical curriculum works at SIU because we invented it. SIU is nationally recognized for its medical education advances. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Illinois_University_School_of_Medicine. Also, the LCME loves our school. Read this: http://www.siumed.edu/pubs/aspects/AU07/s3.pdf . As you can gather from the probation issues going on at other schools, the LCME basically wants other schools to be more like us.

An example of how we learn the basic sciences:

"40 year old woman presents to the ER complaining of severe chest pain."

This is the statement we are given initially and from there develop a list of differential diagnoses. We work in groups of 6-8 and have a computer system which lets us "ask" the patient questions in order to take a full history. We can also get physical exam and another other diagnostic test results from this program. Throughout working through the case we develop questions that we will then study in depth to incorporate the basic sciences. For example, with a case of MI we will work backwards to study CAD, then atherosclerosis, ,then the cholesterol synthesis pathway. We do have about 3 hours of lectures per week that are optional (so you don't have to go if you don't learn well through lectures) which help guide us through the basic science topics we need to cover. On average we probably have only four hours of required activities each weekday. This gives us a lot of time to work on what WE, personally need to study, versus sitting through a lecture where we maybe already understand half of what they are teaching.

We also are integrated and systems-based. So, for the first unit in first year we cover everything related to the cardiovascular, respiratory, and renal systems. This includes studying the anatomy and histology related to these systems. I think this is much better than studying all the anatomy of the whole human body and then being done with anatomy and then studying all the medical biochemistry and then being done with it, etc. It's much better to learn the body as a system since, well, it is a system.

We also have a doctoring component to our curriculum. This includes working on standardized patients and spending time with a physician mentor in the field. It helps you start thinking like a doctor earlier and to develop solid clinical skills. I have heard from residents that they feel extremely prepared for residency through the high emphasis placed on clinical skills. I believe our Step 2 CS pass rate is 100%. I know even as a first year I am greatly improving in my abilities to talk to patients and my history taking skills are getting pretty good.

If SIU SOM has any poor reputation is from pre-meds because they don't like the location and it doesn't have a high research ranking. I admit, Carbondale sucks but it's just the first year. Springfield is a great place to learn medicine because there is a large and well-respected medical community there which serves much of the downstate area. We are also the only medical school in the area so our hospital affiliations are solid. There is a burn center, Trauma 1 center, major surgeries, etc. Stuff goes on. Also, we have almost every residency program you could want which really helps if you want to specialize. This includes SIU SOM ortho, urology, dermatology, plastic and reconstructive, etc programs.

As far as research, I think SIU decided that it's going to focus more on advancing medical education instead of research. This is obviously in part because the school is small and not connected to a large university in Springfield. However, there is a program for students to do research between first and second years which provides funding. Students can also spend time at other institutions. I know there are a good number of people that conduct research at Wash U over the summer.

Our average incoming student stats are lower because the population from which SIU selects its students is smaller. We don't have anyone coming from out of state which would drive up the competition. SIU also selects for "good doctor" personal characteristics (from what I've gathered). There are literally no socially awkward people in our class and our class is very active and there are always fun things planned. Also, our class is CLOSE. There is not one person that I would not recognize. And if we have a party or event, most people come.

So, overall, I would agree that SIU is underrated in the pre-medical world. However, I know we have a good reputation in the professional world. We are very well-trained. Our graduation student satisfactory rating is consistently 100%. That's impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand SIU is 100% PBL, so I wouldn't think it would get in the way since it is the entire curriculum. I do know they have a few lectures and many optional ones. Am I misunderstanding what you were saying?

It does seem like PBL is kind of annoying at other schools because they sort of throw in little bits of it here and there while expecting you to do the traditional memorize regurgitate all day lecture approach as well.

Yes, and it's also annoying at schools that don't want to do it but have to. Seriously, the LCME is forcing schools to do some sort of PBL. Our PBL leaders are trained extensively to guide us through the cases. They have meetings every week.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. Especially startswithb for taking the time to write such an informative post. I am super excited about SIU, and even moreso after my interview. Granted I have other interviews to go to and hopefully a decision to make. Regardless of that, I am sure SIU will be a part of that if I am fortunate enough to get an AWPA.