This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anovas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine in Puerto Rico vs Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Auburn Campus.

Hello! I am making this post because I need honest opinions as to best choice here. I am leaning towards SJB, although I understand that both choices have some dilemmas (MD outside of the Mainland-but LCME accredited vs. DO school). Learning medicine in Spanish shouldn't be much of a problem for a Native Spanish speaker.

I am most concerned with training (rotations and residency opportunities in the US Mainland). I plan to do my residency in the US mainland. Please feel free to give any feedback.

PROS/CONS:
SJB: urban area with hospital next-door, wide-range of opportunities for residencies for specialties in the US mainland, small class size and ok facilities. No extra boards. Lower tuition. Lower board scores (but NBME question bank)

VCOM: newer school and rural campus, primary-care focused, larger class size, may require lots of traveling for rotations? Harder to match in specialties?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

SJB is truly one of the worst US medical schools. In 2011, it was the first medical school in recently history to lose LCME accreditation, and many of its students had to desperately try to transfer to other programs. SJB's match rates are bad, its four-year graduation rates are bad, and its board passage rates are bad.

If you were admitted to a more established DO program, I'd recommend DO without hesitation... but VCOM-Auburn is new and so going there would come with some uncertainties. Tough call.

Reactions: 1 user