SJSU vs CSUDH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

excited.futureOT2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is a difference in the quality and/or reputation in the OT community between these two programs. I know that SJSU is ranked a little bit higher than CSUDH, but these rankings don't necessarily entail that one program is better than another in all aspects.

So my question is: If you got into both SJSU and CSUDH (actually or hypothetically), which one did/would you choose, and why??

I am hoping that current/past OT students from SJSU or CSUDH can also shed some light on their experience with both programs.

Thanks a bunch!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a current student at SJSU and I also got accepted to CSUDH last year. I can't really comment on choosing SJSU over CSUDH for academic/program reasons, because I preferred the location of SJSU over CSUDH, so it won't really help your situation. However, I remember them sending me the schedule for CSUDH before I denied my acceptance and it looked super hectic- There were 7 different classes for the first semester, one of them being anatomy. That schedule seems nearly impossible to balance. My first semester at SJSU consisted of 5 classes and was still difficult to manage, but I can't imagine 7! In terms of actual ranking and which one is "better", I can't comment on that. I do remember almost all, if not all professors at CSUDH were USC grads. Anyway, hope that helped you! Good luck.

Hey everyone! I thought I would chime in on this post, as a current CSUDH student, for future applicants.

I was also accepted to SJSU, and (like legrev) chose CSUDH primarily for location reasons as well. In regard to the scheduling concern that legrev expressed, we do have 7-8 classes per semester. However, our classes are much shorter in length than most programs and only meet 1x a week. The workload is very manageable. Also, I really like the way the curriculum is set up at CSUDH. We have a lot of classes because each of our semesters (aside from the first into semester) focus in on a particular life course stage (i.e., peds, adolescents, adults, geriatrics), and has specific classes dedicated to looking at lifespan issues, conditions, assessments, interventions etc. used for people we will likely treat during those stages as OTs.

Also, I appreciate that CSUDH has a huge practical application focus. When completing my observation hours, I was told by two different OTs how much they preferred taking CSUDH fieldwork students since they typically came in very prepared. From being in the program for almost a year, I definitely feel the faculty tries to set us up to be as prepared for "the real world" as much as possible.

However, if facing the choice between CSUDH and SJSU, I say either way you're going to be fine! I know SJSU has a great reputation too and, in either case, you will get a great OT education at a great price.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also strongly considering SJSU and CSUDH due to location and costs. However, I'm nervous about my stats and getting into either program. For those of you who were accepted, could you provide stats and/or tips to enhance my chances of acceptance?

bumping this thread.
Anybody else have any other comments about this topic?

The Spring vs Fall start dates for these two programs may also be a factor for many considering SJSU and CSUDH. SJSU seems to take a more traditional approach with a Fall start date and allowing for the undergrad degree and some prereqs to be in progress at the time of application. CSUDH's requirement that the undergrad degree and prereqs be complete at the time of application combined with a Spring start seems to force a 1/2 gap year - less than ideal for some looking to continue from undergrad to grad school. I'm not applying until the next cycle but guessing CSUDH will be a challenge to make work logistically.

Reactions: 1 users