Sketchymicro Mistakes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sal Sero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bordetella, Legionella, Leptospira, Brucella (and possible more) are bacteria that are all aerobic yet I noticed that SketchyMicro makes no mention of the obligate aerobe "air bellow" memory hook in these videos. Seems like a pretty gaping deficiency that could screw a lot of people up on test day. Anyone else notice other errata? Also wondering if anyone knows if these are mistakes by the creators or if they were left out on purpose for some reason?

Members don't see this ad.

Bordetella, Legionella, Leptospira, Brucella (and possible more) are bacteria that are all aerobic yet I noticed that SketchyMicro makes no mention of the obligate aerobe "air bellow" memory hook in these videos. Seems like a pretty gaping deficiency that could screw a lot of people up on test day. Anyone else notice other errata? Also wondering if anyone knows if these are mistakes by the creators or if they were left out on purpose for some reason?
Honestly, a bigger benefit of Sketchy than their images is the fact that they've gone through and sifted out the characteristics that I actually need to care about for each bug. They tend to leave things out that aren't important to identifying the pathogen vs similarly presenting bugs or explaining their presentation. Heck, even First Aid does this a lot (notice which organisms are in their 'poorly gram staining due to intracellular life span' mnemonic vs their 'intracellular' mnemonic vs their 'Giemsa stain' mnemonic). If it bugs you, go learn the extra details (which it seems you have). If it seems like a benefit that they simplify these things, count it as motivation to use Sketchy. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like someone is pissed that he's not doing so well on an in-house exam full of professor's minutia.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately you’ve gotta really focus which professors go more in depth than sketchy, like for my micro class the professor that taught bacteria went 10x more in depth that sketchy and the professor that taught parasites went about equally in depth as sketchy.

For professor written exams always go by what your professor has taught you. Supplement with sketchy.

But it seems the general consensus for boards is sketchy covers the needed micro material pretty well.