Slacker wants to be a Doctor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivetheDream5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Tom. I am 20 years old. I slacked off in school, gave in to pressure, never tried, and wound up dropping out. I have always been interested in the medical field and I can think of nothing that naturally interests me the way that medicine does. I went and got my GED. But it has been a while now. Academically, I am not even in the ballpark of taking my ACT and getting into a pre-med option in college. It's just been so long since I've used my brain, it seems like it would take years just to re-learn the basics and get up to par again. I know I have grown up, and I have a whole new perspective on life. I'm just not sure how to go about it. It seems pretty overwhelming. Nevertheless, my dream is medical school, and becoming a doctor. So does anyone have any advice? Giving up is not an option for me, so any advice besides quitting now. lol I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Tom

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In this situation, I would probably take a few classes at a community college to test the water. If you can get back into the swing of things academically, you can look into transferring to a larger university and getting a full degree. But this way you're taking it slower and it will probably be a little cheaper.

So you only messed up high school?

If that's the case, the good news is you can do 1 year at a community college taking non-science classes, do well (at least 3.5), and then transfer to a university to start your pre-reqs and finish your degree. High school would have no effect on your chances in this case.

As someone said, your fine because no med school will ever look at your HighSchool record. It may be hard doing 4 years of 3.75GPA college though, not to mention the MCAT. If you are serious about it and have the motivation you should go for it, but remember that there are other paths that are very similar but a lot easier. Nurse Practitioners and P.A's have very similar jobs and its infinitely easier to get into those schools.

Start shadowing a physician and take a course, maybe something general ed, like English or Psychology. See how you like taking classes and if you can force yourself to work steadily and do well.

Bye, Tom!

Way to fail at being helpful...idiots.

Anyways, maybe you can take a community college course in the evenings while working (i am assuming you are working) to figure out how rusty your brains really are. Who knows, chances are you have smarts you never knew you had.

I've found that having a goal (no matter how fart it might be in the future) has an amazing ability to focus mind and energy. If you really want it, you'll make it. theoretically you could start college this fall and finish by age 24, med school by 28...not very far behind at all (looking at average medical school matriculant ages).

Best of luck. :thumbup:

Hello,
My name is Tom. I am 20 years old. I slacked off in school, gave in to pressure, never tried, and wound up dropping out. I have always been interested in the medical field and I can think of nothing that naturally interests me the way that medicine does. I went and got my GED. But it has been a while now. Academically, I am not even in the ballpark of taking my ACT and getting into a pre-med option in college. It's just been so long since I've used my brain, it seems like it would take years just to re-learn the basics and get up to par again. I know I have grown up, and I have a whole new perspective on life. I'm just not sure how to go about it. It seems pretty overwhelming. Nevertheless, my dream is medical school, and becoming a doctor. So does anyone have any advice? Giving up is not an option for me, so any advice besides quitting now. lol I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Tom

Is this post for real? Since I don't want to be an @$$, I'm just going to tell you to do some research on the path to becoming a doctor, first.

Yeah, I would highly recommend shadowing, volunteering, or doing something medically related. Then, get on to "par" and then start your premed stuff. You're just starting out so your options are pretty unlimited and seeking out what you need to do to become a doctor is great when you consider that many people (I personally know at least three people...) who entered as freshman wanting to be doctors but never checked averages or prereqs for different medical schools until the end of their junior years....

Good luck, if you use the search feature you can find a response to any question you might have! Use it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Quit post padding.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how quick you will get back into things. Start with a small load like other suggested and you will be rocking and rollin' soon enough.

Best of luck

I'm interested in how one "poofs" a point--keep me posted on your progress answering that question.

As for getting into medical school as a "slacker," follow my directions exactly. I have a close friend who managed the feat you're about to try.

1. Solicit employment as a surgical tech or research assistant at a medically relevant practice (eg IVF/fertility clinic, outpatient surgical center, OMF/dental surgeon, etc.). Work full-time, work your ass off, impress everyone you work with.

2. Knock out your core requirements at a traditional college (the college is not so important, but from personal experience I can tell you college is awesome, even for a slacker).

3. Score a 30+ on the MCAT. If you're a "slacker" you're a person who shirks duty and avoids excessive exertion, not someone who is incapable. Buckle down, read science journals and have stimlating conversation throughout college, and you should be fully capable of scoring well on the MCAT (if you're bright). Take a practice MCAT now, you can take one for free through Kaplan. At least you'll know what you're dealing with.

4. It's impossible to be a doctor and a slacker. You can get great grades in high school and not work too hard. You can get though college drinking and whoring and get stellar grades. If you're bright you can score 30+ on the MCAT and not work too hard. However, you will not get though medical school and the USMLES doing anything of the sort.

The truth is, the guy I know who slacked his way though high school, rehab, and juvie, then worked his way back into community college, though college and medical school, and on to emergency medicine in Malibu didn't do it on his own. He had a wealthy family, caring parents, a friend in admissions, and incredible aptitude and test-taking ability. He scored a 34 on the MCAT. You're going to have to work like you've enver worked before.

Go to bed tonight resolute to turn your life around. Wake up tomorrow morning and do it. In 10 years you could be a doctor.

Good luck, godspeed.

-TestIs.

Tom you should visit the non-traditional section of the student forums instead of the pre-med section since your circumstances are atypical of the common medical school applicant: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

If you honestly have a will, then there will always be a way. As long as your true ambition is and only is medical school and remains that way until you die. Then I'm sure you will become a good doctor in the future.

Everyone here is just attempting to be a realist even though some people have taken their responses to be somewhat pessimistic. I think you have a shot and should definitely call respective people in order to get your life back in gear.

Good luck.

first step is believing in yourself. No one can do that for you.

You would be wise to take the sarcasm/discouraging remarks here as a lesson to be wary of any advice your receive from fellow premeds--especially those applying the same year you are :)

best of luck

I'm interested in how one "poofs" a point--keep me posted on your progress answering that question.

Haha, english is my second language, whats your excuse :laugh:

P.S.: There is a special kind of hell reserved for those who correct spelling in online forums.

Is this post for real? Since I don't want to be an @$$, I'm just going to tell you to do some research on the path to becoming a doctor, first.

Waste of time, just get into med school first then do the research.

:corny:

Try to do some stuff you are interested in, hopefully that is shadowing and/or volunteering
00.gif

Hello,
Sincerely,
Tom

High school is just one phase of life. Move past it. Someone else suggested starting out at a community college. That's probably the best idea. That'll get you back into the groove of learning and also at a cheaper cost. Community colleges will find a way to get you in without having had the ACT so no big deal there.

If you're ready start taking your basic general education stuff and after a year or two of that transfer to a university and continue with your degree in whatever major you happen to choose preferably something interesting that you can build a career off of if the need should arise. Take the premed coursework along the way - usually a year each (meaning 2 classes of each) of general chemistry, organic chemistry, general physics, biology, and perhaps some math - get good grades, take the medical college admission test (MCAT), do well on that, have some medical experience and some type of volunteer experience (why that's expected I don't know), apply and you're in. It's not too difficult really. The only real problem is lots of people have the same goal particularly a bunch of foreigners coming in but don't get me up on that rant. Many of us do something along the way to F that all up. Watch yourself, enjoy the process because it won't be fast by any means, have some fun and make some memories during college, and keep your goal in mind. Good luck.

Way to fail at being helpful...idiots.

Anyways, maybe you can take a community college course in the evenings while working (i am assuming you are working) to figure out how rusty your brains really are. Who knows, chances are you have smarts you never knew you had.

I've found that having a goal (no matter how fart it might be in the future) has an amazing ability to focus mind and energy. If you really want it, you'll make it. theoretically you could start college this fall and finish by age 24, med school by 28...not very far behind at all (looking at average medical school matriculant ages).

Best of luck. :thumbup:

lol

and good luck to the OP

The first step is to take legitimate advice like most of the people on here are giving you. Get back into school, shadow a doctor, continue to research the process, etc.

The second step is to completely ignore the condescending, disparaging comments from some of the people on this forum and a few other premeds that you're going to encounter if you continue on this path. The truth is that these people simply can't stand the idea that someone like you, a self-described "slacker", could possibly become one of their colleagues. These are the people who live in the library, talk incessantly about their applications, and demand your respect because they managed to study 8 hours a day for the MCAT. Desire and determination are fantastic, but this masochistic drive to make the medical process the most grueling, trying, insurmountable process is totally unnecessary. For some strange reason, it makes these people feel superior and validated, as if they're the only ones impressive enough to tackle the process. Bully for them.

What's important is that you try your best, work as hard as you need to, and seek medicine for medicine's sake, not as a badge of honor. Good luck.